Every surround and SACD fan should read this post:

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think as far as pop/rock mainstream stuff, Audio Fidelity has pretty much saved the multichannel SACD format from fading away. Today, after a year of 4.0/5.1 releases, we can finally look forward to even more enticing releases.

A huge thanks to Marshall and the folks at AF for taking the bold step to seek out and release these quad and 5.1 titles that my have been lost and forgotten.

If all the auto makers got together in the very early 2000's and introduced multichannel SACD and DVD audio in all their cars we would have a completely different outcome today.

If all the auto makers got together in the very early 2000's and introduced multichannel SACD and DVD audio in all their cars we would have a completely different outcome today.

That's an interesting point since it seems that many people today - not necessarily we QQ Multichannel Junkies - listen casually from mobile sources while doing something else. The only time some can devote to serious listening is while sitting in traffic trying to get home from work. A multichannel demo disc supplied with each car could have gotten the time and undivided attention necessary to pique interest in multichannel music.

I think as far as pop/rock mainstream stuff, Audio Fidelity has pretty much saved the multichannel SACD format from fading away. Today, after a year of 4.0/5.1 releases, we can finally look forward to even more enticing releases.

I may be alone in thinking that this is not a good thing. I firmly believe that the SACD was a ridiculous money grab by Sony/Philips, with no technical benefits over its competitors, and that it should be left to die in peace. Like it or not, we're rapidly moving to a post-physical digital world. SACD/DSD perpetuates a format war that eneded long ago. LPCM won, for good, solid technical reasons. Therefore, LPCM-based formats are pretty much future proof: you can losslessly copy the bits onto your hard drive and listen to them in perpetuity, even as the consumer electronics universe changes around us.

The saving grace is that the interesting stuff is largely coming out on LPCM-based formats from the Steven Wilson / Jakko Jakszyk axis. AF is, with a few exceptions, reissuing stuff that was already available in LPCM, so those of us who feel as I do can safely ignore it without losing much in the way of actual content.

I may be alone in thinking that this is not a good thing. I firmly believe that the SACD was a ridiculous money grab by Sony/Philips, with no technical benefits over its competitors, and that it should be left to die in peace. Like it or not, we're rapidly moving to a post-physical digital world. SACD/DSD perpetuates a format war that eneded long ago. LPCM won, for good, solid technical reasons. Therefore, LPCM-based formats are pretty much future proof: you can losslessly copy the bits onto your hard drive and listen to them in perpetuity, even as the consumer electronics universe changes around us.

The saving grace is that the interesting stuff is largely coming out on LPCM-based formats from the Steven Wilson / Jakko Jakszyk axis. AF is, with a few exceptions, reissuing stuff that was already available in LPCM, so those of us who feel as I do can safely ignore it without losing much in the way of actual content.

You may be right but IMO DSD sounds better than PCM.

The cynical part of me (that's the big, fat part) often wonders if some of these guys are clinging to SACD because it's the last copy-resistant disc format. But of course that doesn't explain all the DSD downloads cropping up. Apparently there are enough people, in enough decision-making positions, who believe that there are actual sonic (or at least marketing) benefits to DSD. (I'm none of those people, as it happens.)

That's how I felt for a long time too, but then AF goes and releases The Jeff Beck Group, in quad, on SACD. That's the first quad release I ever heard, waay back in '72 or whenever. They got me hook, line & sinker. :(

-- Jim

You're probably right, but it would've required a 180 degree turn in the attitude the car makers seem to have about mobile audio. Except for the high-dollar models, audio systems seem like a necessary evil to them. They look more interested in coming up with new ways to just jam it in there as cheaply as possible -and jam up the aftermarket while they're at it - than trying to provide decent quality sound themselves.

-- Jim

That's how I felt for a long time too, but then AF goes and releases The Jeff Beck Group, in quad, on SACD. That's the first quad release I ever heard, waay back in '72 or whenever. They got me hook, line & sinker. :(

Yep. Note that I said "with a few exceptions." Not enough for me to get my own fat PS3 w/ firmware 3.55 or earlier, though ;) I'm hoping the format dies before I feel compelled to do that.

Back