HiRez Poll Petty, Tom & The Heartbreakers - THE LIVE ANTHOLOGY [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tom Petty - THE LIVE ANTHOLOGY

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Audio, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This disc is only available in the large Tom Petty Anthology box set from Reprise Records. For those Tom Petty fans, this poll's for you! :D

Please feel free to also discuss the other aspects of this box set, which includes CDs, DVDs, and an LP, as well as this Blu-Ray Disc.

More pictures to follow

Attachments

• TP front.jpg
    TP front.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 656
  • TP back.jpg
    TP back.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 656
  • TP disc.jpg
    TP disc.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 660
  • TP Inside 1.jpg
    TP Inside 1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 660
  • TP Inside 2.jpg
    TP Inside 2.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 656
I got mine this morning at Best Buy ($99.00). They had to go and "find" one, there were none out at around 11am. I have a feeling these will be hard to find, as the BB dude said that they only got about 5 copies in, and 2 were reserved for folks. However, at $99, I don't think they'll be flying off the shelves to "normal" buyers! :D

It's a very impressive package, the size of a 12x12 LP box set. I just ran the 5.1 trough my PC, and the audio quality is quite spectacular, clear and sharp on every track I sampled. However, the 5.1 is strictly an "audience" mix, which is fine for live recordings I suppose. This one is no "surround spectacular", as far as being a "wide, on stage mix". However, as you can see by the wav files below, it's a nice audience mix that's not faked.

The TP vocals are spread across all 3 front speakers. He's not isolated in the center, and along with his vocals, there's the rest of the audio track in the center as well. I did notice there are some discrete locations of instruments at certain points, but it's really a stage mix as far as audio presentation is concerned. Just like at a concert, you can see a guitar solo in front of you, but the audio comes from no particular speaker. It's just there.

As you can also see from the wav file below, there is an active LFE track. Many times, this is not the case.

It's ironic that this Blu-Ray disc is really a "SUPER DVD-AUDIO" in that it has a menu, you select the HiRez stereo or HiRez DTS-HD, then there are 5 chapters that correspond to the tracklists on the 5 included CDs. When you select a chapter from the on-screen menu, you are presented with the song selections and the CD cover for that CD disc number. Select a song, the "album cover" is again displayed, along with info about the track. As the song begins, the info screen fades to a screen saver of the album cover floating around the screen.

If you like this artist and these songs, this purchase should be a no brainer. Since it's all live stuff, you won't be missing anything if you're not a big fan. Still, it's nice to see another 5.1 release at this point in time. At least that's how I feel about it.

The below wav starts with a bit of "Something In The Air", then the beginning of "Learning to Fly", followed by the complete "Running Down a Dream", going into a short portion of "Oh Well". It's just a visual sample to see how the 5.1 mix looks to those who like this sort of thing! ;)

NOTE: The channels below are, in decending order, FL, FR, RL, RR, C, LFE

Attachments

• TP wavs.jpg
    TP wavs.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 623
Jon, did you find the LFE response to be a bit heavy handed? It appears from your waveform shown that the LFE shouldn't be, but on my system, using an OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray player via the analog outputs decoding the DTS-MA 5.1 feed, the kick drum and bass is overpowering.

My settings are what they should be since movies and other SACD and DVD-Audio discs in surround on this system/player via the analog outputs on the Oppo, sound quite balanced and the LFE is not overpowering.

I hate to have to tweak my sub settings merely for one disc - but since you listened to the disc in surround maybe you can let us know what you truly felt about the LFE response. Thanks.

Mike,

I have only listened to the disc on my PC :eek: so far, but I did notice that the base was very prominent. In fact, in Sound Forge I let the LFE track play solo, and the sub was really wailing, which it does not always do with 5.1 extractions to the PC.

Many times when ripping a 5.1 disc, the LFE is so slight you cannot even see the waveforms in the LFE wav file. As you can tell from above, you can clearly see amplitude there.

When I get the disc down to one of the Oppo's, I'll report back.

Hi guys.

Just posted a bit about this over at SH.tv. Listening to the 5.1 mix, I'd say the LFE is maybe 2-3dB hotter than it needs to be. Also, it could be exciting a room node and really exaggerating itself.

I also noticed that you can switch audio tracks on the fly via the BDP-83. The hi-rez stereo track sounds rather wimpy when compared directly to the 5.1 version.

On second thought, the LFE for the Blu-ray is only 1dB too hot compared to my normal listening. This will go along with the Crowded House DVD-A and The Police:Certifiable Blu-ray, i.e. if the sub is just "barely" too much on these recordings, it should sound perfect on everything else.

On second thought, the LFE for the Blu-ray is only 1dB too hot compared to my normal listening. This will go along with the Crowded House DVD-A and The Police:Certifiable Blu-ray, i.e. if the sub is just "barely" too much on these recordings, it should sound perfect on everything else.

Thanks Sam. Yes my sub was dialed in perfectly for everything else with a dedicated LFE track. I ashamed to say I have the Blu-Ray of the Police disc (as well as the vinyl) - and have yet to watch the Blu-Ray. I have listened to the vinyl twice.

I brought my sub down a notch to compensate for the Petty disc and will see how it fares on movies, and other items with a dedicated LFE track. If need be I will have dial it back up for other discs and make the adjustment when listening to the Petty disc in surround.

Hi guys.

Just posted a bit about this over at SH.tv. Listening to the 5.1 mix, I'd say the LFE is maybe 2-3dB hotter than it needs to be. Also, it could be exciting a room node and really exaggerating itself.

I also noticed that you can switch audio tracks on the fly via the BDP-83. The hi-rez stereo track sounds rather wimpy when compared directly to the 5.1 version.

Yes, because of the sub response and the effect of the music being pulled slightly out into the room by the surround speakers, the music does seem "wimpy" when you jump from 5.1 to stereo on the fly. But the stereo mix when taken on it's own sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

I played a bit of this on my Living Room system, and the bass was a bit overdone, IMHO. However, the audio really sounded "full", mostly with the hall ambience of the surround mix. The stereo sounded nice as well, but not as encompassing. They really did a nice job on the Blu-Ray audio on this one, but I can totally understand how some folks will want to lower the SUB a little. The strange thing is that not every tune is like this, so as always, your results may vary.

Listening to this now. The bass does seem a tad hot to me, but I need to hear the entire disc to be sure. So far, I'm pleased with the quality and yes, this is an ambient audience mix. I do wish I could have purchased the BR disc only for something like 30 bucks rather than the 99 I shelled out for the entire package.

Listening to this now. The bass does seem a tad hot to me, but I need to hear the entire disc to be sure. So far, I'm pleased with the quality and yes, this is an ambient audience mix. I do wish I could have purchased the BR disc only for something like 30 bucks rather than the 99 I shelled out for the entire package.

Isn't that the truth. I don't want anything other than the Blu-ray disc so I am not going to purchase this set but I will hope the Blu-ray is released separately at some future date. This set is a nice deal for someone that wants everything included.

Chris

Sold the LD's some years ago when my player broke down.

Regards

I immediately got rid of as many LD"s as I could when I first saw DVD, I knew they would quickly be worth little or nothing. I might have a few left in storage and have two working players in storage, at least when last used, practically worthless but I need to get them out and sell them if I can find the LD"s also to test them.

Chris

Sold the LD's some years ago when my player broke down.

Regards

Smart move. I still have a TON of those things. Some cost over $100 and they're worth about 10 cents now..................:mad:

Today, I just read in one of the A/V magazines (I believe it was Sound and Vision) that Tom Petty was toying with the idea of releasing an album he is currently recording in Blu Ray 5.1. Seems this Live Anthology Blu Ray release really stoked his interest in the possibilities of Blu Ray.

Petty also thought Damn the Torpedoes would make a nice 5.1 release. The piece also included a nice interview with the 5.1 mixer for the Live Anthology release.

In keeping with the high fidelity of this release, the live DVD is presented as DTS2496. I think the BluRay disc sounds great and with 4 hours and 47 minutes on one disc in stereo and DTS-HD MA it just shows how great the possibilities could be for music only programs. This whole TP package is really great!

When I originally looked at the Tom Petty Box set, I made a decision not to buy it. I agree with Stormchaser 100%. The only thing I want from this is the single Blu Ray disc. I would still like to find it for sale. I have enough Tom Petty material as it is now, including Mojo on Blu Ray. As mentioned above, I made a conscious decision years ago to hold onto my extensive Laser Disc collection. Many of the LD discs I own are irreplacable. Much of my collection is music discs & concerts. The DVD versions often have songs or parts removed when they went to DVD. I also like the fact that I can record them to my DVD Recorder and not worry about macrovision or copy protection. Besides, I made stupid mistakes when I sold both my Quad collection of discs & tapes, and also my large Audiophile Vinyl collection. Damn, I was stupid! Also, why have we not seen anything here regarding some of the best Blu Ray concerts out there such as: Eric Clapton with Steve Winwood: Having been a big Stevie Winwood fan, this is a must have. Clapton & Winwood trade doing their best material including Traffic songs & Blind Faith material. Outstanding. Also, It Might Get Loud with 3 monster Guitar Players: Jimmy Page (1970's), Edge (1980's) , Jack White ( of the Whitestripes). There is also one relatively new group that stands out in the crowd: Kings of Leon (5 Brothers) on Blu Ray.

Back