HiRez Poll Petty, Tom & The Heartbreakers - THE LIVE ANTHOLOGY [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tom Petty - THE LIVE ANTHOLOGY

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Audio, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters
Also, why have we not seen anything here regarding some of the best Blu Ray concerts out there such as: Eric Clapton with Steve Winwood: Having been a big Stevie Winwood fan, this is a must have. Clapton & Winwood trade doing their best material including Traffic songs & Blind Faith material. Outstanding...

Check out the thread here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?12309-Clapton-Winwood-at-MSG&highlight=clapton+winwood

The main criticism being that the BD did not take advantage of the lossless option of DTS HD MA. Just plain ol' vanilla DTS and an ambient surround mix at that. Still I think it's swell but agree that it could have been much more. Clapton's Crossroad Festival DVD live in Chicago trumps this by a long shot - featuring a very discrete 5.1 Eliot Scheiner mix. The most recent Crossroads concert held this summer in Chicago is coming out on Blu Ray in November of this year - hope they nail this one.

All that music but no Psychotic Reaction. So I still have to retain my laserdisc of Take The Highway Live.

Yeah, Narcopolo, me to. I have held onto my LD's since many of them just have a lot more on them. When they moved alot of them from LD to DVD, they cut out material (like songs). Bummer! ! example: I have the LD of a Prince Greatest Hits which is extensive. When the DVD came out I noticed that they removed about 6 of the "greatest Hits". Rip off. They didn't lower the price, either.

This is available for $30 now, the deluxe set with CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray and an LP.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Live+An...2056267&skuId=9601553&st=tom petty&lp=11&cp=2

It is soldout online but some stores still have inventory, you can check the store availability online. No stores near me had it but the Best Buy in Brandon, FL does and I have a daugher that drives by there on her way home from work, so I bought it for her to pick up. At $100, I was going to pass, all I really want is the Blu-ray disc. Of course this good news and bad news, the bad news is it apparently didn't sell well at a price that will justify further releases like this. Blu-ray audio is a technological marvel but so far not a financial success and I can only hope that changes. So few releases and less than robust sales appears to be the results so far.

:)Chris: Are you saying that I could still buy the Live Anthology Box set which includes the Blu Ray disc for $30.00? I want it. Where?

:)Chris: Are you saying that I could still buy the Live Anthology Box set which includes the Blu Ray disc for $30.00? I want it. Where?

Use the link I provided, hit the check stores button and see if a store near you has one. If the answer is no, as it was for me, try to find a store near someone that will pick it up for you. Ordering online is backordered and I would think offers no real chance it will ship but of course try that if nothing else works, it might ship.

The detail says CD and the overview says 5 discs, but no mention of the BD or LP. However they are mentioned in the reviews and the list price is $149.98. I guess you could always send it back if it was the wrong one.

It is the deluxe CD set with an extra CD, some DVDs, the Blu-ray disc and a vinyl LP. See my previous posts for how to try to get it at that price. Picking it up at the store is the way to proceed and just look at the box and see if it contains what you want.

Thanks, Chris!
I followed your link and found a store near me and was able to buy a copy. Waiting for the email to pick it up.

Well so much for keeping to a budget this month...

By the way, Yourmusic is going out of business and they only have two sacds showing available, Claptons Ocean Ave and the Carpenters Hits. If there are cds you want they have dropped the price by $1 with a promo code on their website.

Just visited Yourmusic.com. Only sacd left is the clapton. I picked up 2 extra copies and a few cds. Its now only 4.99 till may 25. Glad I bought the carpenters sacd a few weeks ago.

I'm now here at home with my copy, having got a quick email its ready to pick up. Thanks Chris for the alert, don't know that I needed this but for $30 its 5 cds 2 dvds 1 bluray and some vinyl. All it lacks is a T shirt :)

Just the Blu-ray disc with all of the music in lossless 5.1 and high resolution stereo is a steal at $30 if you are a Tom Petty fan in my opinion. Putting it in a $100 box set as the only way to get it wouldn't be my recommendation but it is a great box set nonetheless. I just don't buy $100 box sets. I have a lot of Tom Petty music already and this set will be welcomed but I would have purchased just the Blu-ray disc for $30 in 2009 if I could have. Maybe it would need to be higher than $30 with more than 4 hours of music, essentially the equivalent of 4 or 5 DVD-As, maybe $40 or so to make sense. That is the kind of release I want and hope we see often but things are sure starting slowly.

Just the Blu-ray disc with all of the music in lossless 5.1 and high resolution stereo is a steal at $30 if you are a Tom Petty fan in my opinion. Putting it in a $100 box set as the only way to get it wouldn't be my recommendation but it is a great box set nonetheless. I just don't buy $100 box sets. I have a lot of Tom Petty music already and this set will be welcomed but I would have purchased just the Blu-ray disc for $30 in 2009 if I could have. Maybe it would need to be higher than $30 with more than 4 hours of music, essentially the equivalent of 4 or 5 DVD-As, maybe $40 or so to make sense. That is the kind of release I want and hope we see often but things are sure starting slowly.

This is a mixed blessing for sure! I picked up my copy yesterday (thanks again Chris). Agreed, most everything else in the box is superfluous and as expected, the item of greatest value (at least for most of the members on this forum), is the BD Audio containing all 62 tracks from the 5 CD set. The "limited edition lithograph" which had a mild appeal to me prior to unsealing the package is nothing but a cardboard "promotional flat" which typically would sit in a warehouse until thrown out. The CD's are good for ingesting into my media server. The DVD's - OK but not critical - same goes for the vinyl - this is sort of the "kitchen sink" type of box set that labels put together to exploit a catalogue which has been, well exploited.

For BB to get this as an exclusive they had to commit to a significant quantity (at a highly discounted rate, I'm sure) and some sort of "no return' clause. They (BB) in their incessant greed, severely overcharged and misread the market for this product - now 2 years later, reduced shelf space dedicated to music dictates that they need to move these units out of inventory - at a severely discounted price (though probably still profitable). What gets lost in this whole mess is the BD Audio. I'm sure the "braintrust" at BB will not differentiate between the components of this set and just associate the BD Audio as an equal part of the failure - typical "can't see the trees from the forest" retail mentality.

Short term - good for me. Long term - not so much.

For BB to get this as an exclusive they had to commit to a significant quantity (at a highly discounted rate, I'm sure) and some sort of "no return' clause. They (BB) in their incessant greed, severely overcharged and misread the market for this product - now 2 years later, reduced shelf space dedicated to music dictates that they need to move these units out of inventory - at a severely discounted price (though probably still profitable). What gets lost in this whole mess is the BD Audio. I'm sure the "braintrust" at BB will not differentiate between the components of this set and just associate the BD Audio as an equal part of the failure - typical "can't see the trees from the forest" retail mentality.

Well put elmer! Just like the Floyd sets, I'm sure if they released the blu-ray discs separately, more folks would buy it. Of course they could still do that sometime down the road after the (us) die-hards shell out the big bucks.

There are two left, Dennis, unless you got there before me!

Picked mine up this morning. Now there is one left.

Someone please check their box set and tell me that their LP only has content on one side!!?? Because that's what mine has. I guess I could use side B to calibrate the anti-skate. :rolleyes:

Rats, I thought I had a rare pressing goof. Perhaps worth zillions in 2051. (I have to leave something for the grandchildren). :D

Back