HiRez Poll Petty, Tom & The Heartbreakers - THE LIVE ANTHOLOGY [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tom Petty - THE LIVE ANTHOLOGY

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Audio, Poor Content, Poor Surround

• Total voters
Someone please check their box set and tell me that their LP only has content on one side!!?? Because that's what mine has. I guess I could use side B to calibrate the anti-skate. :rolleyes:

I plugged mine into my TV and saw a picture of an upside down turtle.

Ok, maybe not.

Thank You for the heads up on this title. I had passed many times at the high price point , but at 29.99 I bought 2 and should have bought the last one. It comes with the 5cds,2dvds, bluray and vinyl. It is a very cool package. Did they do this with the deluxe of the David Gilmour set? I always wanted the surround of On An Island. Close outs would have been a cheap way to get it.

The deal appears to be over, back to $130. I was able to get one locally and wanted to get a second as a present, but was too late on the trigger.

The Blu-ray sounds pretty good!

QQ members probably drained them of so much inventory, they think demand is up now and cancelled the sale!

That will be a lesson to the record companies...never underestimate the power of a small group of fanatical niche music buyers with computers and cars! :)

That will be a lesson to the record companies...never underestimate the power of a small group of fanatical niche music buyers with computers and cars! :)

Is there a relatively easy was to convert the 5.1 Blu-Ray to DVD-A, for car use. (I am using a Mac running a PC emulator, VMWare. I use DVD-Audio extractor and Cirlinca's HD Solo to make my DVD-A's.)

I have some concert Blu-Rays and Damn the Torpedos, would LOVE to get it for the TL.

This is available for $30 now, the deluxe set with CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray and an LP.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Live+An...2056267&skuId=9601553&st=tom petty&lp=11&cp=2

Chris, thanks so much for finding this deal and letting us know. I am decidedly NOT a Tom Petty fan, but at $30 and dealing with the disease that I contracted from all of you (i.e., the disease of getting something just because... oh, you know!!!)... I couldn't resist!

That being said, the blu-ray in this package is simply a TREAT. I do not pretend to understand the marketing that made this exclusive to either a) a $130 box, or b) Best Buy, but I feel like I've got something really special when I pop it in and hear 61 songs in 96/24 surround sound. Holy mackerel!

Maybe Tom Petty isn't so bad after all...

...and dealing with the disease that I contracted from all of you ...

I'm afraid there's no cure. The only ways to calm the symptoms are;

Repeated listening in the sweet spot! ;)
And be sure to drink plenty of fluids. :brew

I think the cover songs are real gems here; They do great renditions of "Green Onions", "Any Way You Want It" and "Oh Well" to name a few. Also an excellent jam / guitar solo on "It's Good To Be King".

Thanks a lot Chris for the heads up on this set!

Must have gone up... it's $130.00 not $30.00
It's also a shame that they make it so that you have to pay all that and buy all the other stuff
just to get the Blu-Ray disc.
I don't want or need any of the other stuff so why pay $130.00 for one BD?
Pointless, for the most part unless you have that kind of money to blow (I don't) and are a real TP fan (I am).
I'd go $50+ maybe for the BD alone.
But not the box.

My 2 cents.

I just found this poll thanks to Jon. I'm giving this a 10. The mix is probably an 8 but the content is about a 15, 62 songs and I can't find a bad one in the bunch. I got this set used but it looked brand new when I bought it and the blu ray looks like it was never played. It was sealed but the seller said he did look inside the set and re-sealed it. It was hard to find and I was lucky to find it for $82 with shipping included. You can find it now if you look hard enough and some of the buyers didn't even use the blu ray as they purchased it for the CD's and other extras. If you can find a copy grab one.

I hadn't found this thread either, I got my box set about a year ago.

Mix isn't that inspiring, but it is live, music is fantastic. Its somewhere between an 8-9 for me.

I've only seen Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers once, Knebworth Festival 1978, and I don't remember them, the follies of youth!

thanks for digging this one up Mr Spaceman! someone i know recently found me a killer steal of a deal on this set ;) for a live mix from numerous venues..this is exceptionally good. very even consistent sound thru out the mega amount of content. love it!

For me, Tom Petty has become an acquired taste as I have matured over the years. Whilst I've never disliked anything he's done, until recently, I was never that excited by it, but that was more down to me not investing listening time more than anything else. That has changed in recent years, particularly after watching the Sound City movie and investing in the Damn The Torpedoes Blu Ray.

So, when my mate Paul Sinclair over at SuperDeluxeEdition.com highlighted the fact that Amazon.de were selling this Live Anthology box set at an insane price (£25 GBP inc. shipping to the UK) it was a total no-brainer. I mean, a box with 62 live tracks, on CD & Blu Ray, a movie, a concert video, book, artwork and the Official Live 'Leg vinyl for less than what I would pay for a decent vinyl reissue doesn't take much thinking about at all. Luckily, I snapped up a copy as they didn't hang around long and being in the EU, shipping was really fast, cheap and no heavy import duties!

The box itself is very well made and a heavy beast. It really is a great example of how to do a decent box set, made all the more delightful when you remember how little you paid for it! But even if I'd paid top dollar, I'd have been happy. As for the content, all the discs are packaged individually and very nicely. CD's come individually sleeved and then presented in a large card outer. The movies have their own mini gatefold sleeves, as does the Blu Ray. The book is a really enjoyable read, especially as you listen to the audio. Lots of information and interesting opinion pieces. The ephemera such as repro posters and stickers are a nice touch, and the separate sleeve art is crying out to be mounted and hung. Not sure about the use of the blank notebook? But hey, I guess a gap needed filling ;)

The vinyl is very nice too. It's only 4 tracks, and I wonder why they didn't go with a repress of the UK version of the EP which contained one extra track? But hey, a minor quibble.

As for the Blu Ray, it is incredibly well presented on screen, with every track featuring the details of who was playing on that track and when and where it was recorded, switching nicely to a screen saver after about 30 seconds. The audio itself is as good as one could expect. Some people have mention that the LFE is a bit hot and I hadn't really noticed it that much, but then I do like a little extra in the bass department, both in my music and my ladies ;) But overall, the live ambience is recreated incredibly well here and it really showcases what a great live band they are.

Aside from my comment about the lack of extra track on the vinyl, this set is pretty much damned near perfect, and even though I've tried to justify marking it down, I really can't. It's a 10 from me!

If you can find this set discounted anywhere, it's an absolute steal, but even at full price, if you enjoy quality live rock and roll, it doesn't come much finer than this.

I bought this several years ago when the box dropped to $30 at Best Buy, and I kept the blu ray for myself and gave the box and everything else in it to my nephew. He's a Tom Petty fan who doesn't buy physical media and was thrilled to have the leftovers.

Anyway, I've been watching the Tom Petty doc, "Runnin' Down A Dream", for the past week or so (30 minutes at a time while I work out in the morning). Documentaries and biographies always make me want to listen to the artist a little closer, and with a couple pilsners down, well, the Live Anthology is hitting the spot tonight.

I've listened quite a few times over the years and never voted until tonight. I gave it an 8 ONLY because it's really just an ambient mix, so there isn't any fun surround stuff going on, but MAN it sounds great.

Anyway, I've been watching the Tom Petty doc, "Runnin' Down A Dream", for the past week or so (30 minutes at a time while I work out in the morning). Documentaries and biographies always make me want to listen to the artist a little closer, and with a couple pilsners down, well, the Live Anthology is hitting the spot tonight..

If you have the 4-Disc DVD version of "Runnin' Down a Dream" there is an excellent live video concert included from Gainesville (Disc 3, I believe in DD 5.1). This live video concert is not included on the blu-ray version of "Runnin' Down a Dream" however.

Last edited:
Back