Another Genesis Boxset!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucanu

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Cabras, Sardinia, Italy, Europe, World, Solar syst
Genesis - The Movie Box, 1981-2007 (2009)

328ccc9078.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B002P6TA9E

excerpt from the Amazon site:
5 DVD boxed set with new 2009 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital sound mixes, includes the DVD debuts of The Mama Tour and Three Sides Live. This DVD box set also includes Genesis Live At Wembley Stadium, Genesis: The Way We Walk-Live In Concert, and VH-1 Behind The Music. Three Sides Live, the concert film shot at Nassau Coliseum and released in tandem with the live album of the same title, which made the Top Ten on both sides of the Atlantic in 1982. Contains extra full length tracks in 5.1 Audio only. Available on DVD for the first time.
Genesis Live The Mama Tour, filmed in 1984 at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, and featuring the band performing material from the chart-topping Genesis album. Also features The Making of the Mama Album, a home video filmed by Phil Collins during the making of the Genesis album. Available on DVD for the first time. Genesis Live At Wembley Stadium, shot during the group's record-breaking run of four sold-out concerts in July 1987, at the height of their popularity following the release of the number one album Invisible Touch. The DVD also features the tour documentary entitled Visible Touch. Genesis: The Way We Walk Live In Concert, filmed in 1992 at London's Earls Court Exhibition Centre, and issued alongside the albums Live The Way We Walk Volume One: The Shorts and Volume Two: The Longs. Bonus material alongside The Mama Documentary comes in the shape of the updated 2009 version of VH1 Behind The Music special about the band. The original version aired in December 1999.

So this is the one where we finally get the 'bonus tracks' from Three Sides Live (One for the Vine/Fountain of Salmacis/It/Watcher of the Skies) in 5.1, according to the notes for the 1973-2007 live box.

I really don't want to buy a whole box just for these (I couldn't care less about the rest of the tracks). Anyone know when the DVDS will be released individually?

Last edited:
So this is the one where we finally get the 'bonus tracks' from Three Sides Live (the One for the Vine/Fountain of Salmacis/It/Watcher of teh Skies) in 5.1, according to the notes for the 1973-2007 live box.

I really don't want to buy a whole box just for these (I couldn't care less about the rest of the tracks). Anyone know when the DVDS will be released individually?

Dunno if they will release individually. They didn't with the last cd/dvd box (Gabriel years), did they?

Dunno if they will release individually. They didn't with the last cd/dvd box (Gabriel years), did they?

Not yet (in the States). But the first box did get CD+DVD individual releases in the USA. And the Gabriels are available overseas individually. So here's to hoping.

Ah, screw it anyway. Just found out that It/Watcher of the Skies isn't among the extra 5.1 tracks on the Movie box version of 3 Sides Live.

So how are the 5.1 mixes?

Hey dude, :)

I bought 4 of the 5 boxes(I didn't get the pop era of studio Genesis) I think the mixes are excellent and well worth a purchase, but... there was a bit of marketing trickery I say.... The 5.1 mixes for Three Sides live Euro release (One For the Vine & Fountain of Salmacis) are in The Movie Box!
So you must buy the Movie Box to get them. :mad: But they are discrete 5.1 and worthwhile.

The mixes in general are excellent. The Genesis Rainbow 1973 Show is clearly discrete 5.1 and is worth the price alone, IMHO. It is SEBTP entirely live, pro recording, 5.1 mix. This is special, I say. The Genesis live is also discrete(they didn't include Supper's Ready which made it to a Dutch 2 LP pressing.) There are 6, I think Lamb tracks with Peter's original vocals(the Lamb live release of late of course saw Peter re-record all the vox).
Seconds Out is a bit of a puzzle. The release sez its discrete but it sure doesn't sound it. It sounds more like a matrix mix. There is so much echo in the rears it is hard to tell. It is enjoyable but not a clear mind-blowing discrete 5.1 mix like the other live tracks.

ALL this stuff sounds SO much better than all of the prior releases on CD, without a doubt.

So if you really enjoy Genesis look for the remaining audio 5.1 tracks on the Movie Box... Oh, the live box & movie box are only in DTS lossy. The 1st 2 boxes gave a choice: SACD for UK, DTS for US. Live boxes are DTS only. It doesn't really kill the deal since the live stuff is well... 1970's live recordings...

FYI, I got the Movie Box for like ten dollars using Amazon's 50.00 credit for opening a credit card. So you can get the Movie Box almost for free...

The concerts in the Movie Box are ok, but they have been out for a while. better audio but still nothing like a modern 5.1 live mix a la RUSH or Steven Wilson.

That is the bottom line: The 5.1 mixes are much better than most and definitely worthwhile, but not up to the very high standard that Steven Wilson/Neil Wilkes seem to be setting these days.

I say the Live Box is a definite yes to buy. I hope this helps!

Back