Steely Dan Live at the Record Plant, 1974 QS Broadcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
While at ava><home, I found a post of a Steely Dan concert live from LA's Record Plant in 1974, broadcast on KMET radio. It was taken from the final board mix, pre-broadcast, and the poster says that it may be Quad-encoded. There's even an announcer blurb at the end thanking the Sansui people! This is of particular interest to me since I am both a Steely Dan fan and fondly remember the Mighty MET, so I d/l'd the file and burned it to CD.

Running it through my Onkyo's DPLII/Music setting did produce a good-sounding Surround experience. I don't know if it's really Quad or not, but while much of it is very studio-ambience sounding, there are some very convincing passages - especially where Fagan's keyboards emerge with authority from the rear speakers.

If this floats your boat, try it and see what you think:

http://tinyurl.com/yaqm24y

While at ava><home, I found a post of a Steely Dan concert live from LA's Record Plant in 1974, broadcast on KMET radio. It was taken from the final board mix, pre-broadcast, and the poster says that it may be Quad-encoded. There's even an announcer blurb at the end thanking the Sansui people! This is of particular interest to me since I am both a Steely Dan fan and fondly remember the Mighty MET, so I d/l'd the file and burned it to CD.

Running it through my Onkyo's DPLII/Music setting did produce a good-sounding Surround experience. I don't know if it's really Quad or not, but while much of it is very studio-ambience sounding, there are some very convincing passages - especially where Fagan's keyboards emerge with authority from the rear speakers.

If this floats your boat, try it and see what you think:

http://tinyurl.com/yaqm24y

It is and I have decoded it for a future disc. Your are correct though. Not much more than ambiance in the rear. Still - a pretty nice listen.

Bob, thanks for confirming! There are some cool moments. I swear that the lead guitars in the break on "Do It Again", which are buried in the collapsed stereo, break out into the rears on decode, as do several of Fagan's keyboard parts. And I enjoy Michael McDonald taking the lead on "Pretzel Logic" as well.

It's interesting that, although they play mostly tracks from their first 3 albums (since this was 1974), in a couple of places - especially on the extended instrumental near the end - you can hear the "Katy Lied" sound emerging. Definitely a band in evolution!

It's definitely still on my list (the short list). I'm all backed up, kind of, because of work etc... (I just need a multichannel laxative to get it all out... TMI??)

It's definitely still on my list (the short list). I'm all backed up, kind of, because of work etc... (I just need a multichannel laxative to get it all out... TMI??)

How about a snow day? We're supposed to get dumped on tonight over here and I'm hoping to find time to build up a computer with space for music tomorrow, and listen to some Donovan. :)

sorry for beeing a noob here and ask this, but did this disc ever come out? if so, anyone know where i can find it?

thanks!!

thanks. i've had a stereo version for years, but was interested in the quad. looking at the info in this release, i do question it's legality.

I found a Live at Rainbow 1974 - 2 discs - up on the world wide web. Sounds like a FM radio transfer, and is QS encoded.

thanks. i've had a stereo version for years, but was interested in the quad. looking at the info in this release, i do question it's legality.

The Steely Dan Rainbow show is most likely not QS encoded - it may be just a happy accident. It's not an FM broadcast, it's from the collection of soundboard recordings their live sound engineer made.

Steely Dan's sound guy, Dinky Dawson, recorded almost every show of every band he worked for to a cassette deck at the mixing board. He worked for Mahavishnu Orchestra in 72/73 and that's where all their soundboard shows on Wolfgang's Vault come from. His tapes are also where the live version of Bodhisattva with the drunken intro from their roadie that was the b-side to the Hey 19 single came from.

Yep.
I got mine. 2 Broadcasts, but only the KMET Concert in conjunction with Record Plant West is QS encoded.
Sounds muffled fwiw , a true FM low fi sounding disc.

17109632441772292179424551994956.jpg

Back