Sansui QR-4500 purchase

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codestar7

Hello my friends;
I was the happy owner of a 1972 Sansui quad receiver I'd purchased in Japan while in the Navy. It was stolen from me about a year after I returned to the states in Memphis Tn.. I've always remembered the warm sound and quality quad separation.
I have been given the opportunity locally to purchase a QR-4500 for a hundred dollars. The older gentleman who owns the receiver states it is in good condition. I've been an electronic technician for 30 years and although I am not wealthy at the moment I would love to hear that sound again. I have a question;
Does the QE-4500 have the third discrete circuit, for better seperation? or is it an older version of the QRX-5500? What was the quality or placement in the line up of this receiver?
Thank you for all your suggestions and advice..............................Chris

You would be better off looking for a QRX-7001, QRX-9001, QRX-777 or QRX-999. With a little luck, you can grab one of these for the same or a little more than what you'd spend on this. Sure, the QRX's have been known to sell for lots more, but they do fall through the cracks from time to time.

The difference in the decoders is well worth the extra effort and dollars.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

Jon;
Thanks for the reply.I'm actually in the market for a; 7500A. The QRX 5001, 6001, 7001, 8001, 9001, 777 and the 999 as well as the QSD-1, D-2 and D-1000. Virtually any second generation. But, I don't know really what the generation or spec's were on the QR-4500, was it an original ? When was it produced. And is it worth $100.00
Thanks Chris

chris - friend
no it is NOT worth $100.

save your hundred bucks - and buy that 5,6,7,8 or 9001. if you got the dough to buy a qsd-1000 - THEN BUY ME ONE TOO!

seriously though, find a 5, 6 or 7001 - and rebuild it to original specs - dont go to the trouble of doing that with the 4500 - you know it is first generation and i dont see the need to go to the trouble bringing it up to par - unless it is for practice, and then you rebuild a 5,6 or 7001 - and create some pre-amp outputs if you want more power - once youre in love with the sound - and you got the skills - you might try an 8001 or 9001 - much harder rebuild - but better looking machine.

unless JonUrban takes me up on a dead 7001 -we can work something out i am sure - i have the rarest X001 - the 5001 - also dead that i will add to that offer - but that is also if JonUrban passes on it. (this is not an open offer to all qq members - those posts go to the swapmeet part of this forum)

whether it is from me or someone else - expect to rebuild it immediately. the 4500 has got to be rebuilt - i dont care if it is "new in the box" - all those caps and crap have deteriorated with time alone - not to mention use - misuse.

the 4500 is good looking too - but so are pioneer quad receivers - and i use one behind my trailer tire to keep my boat from rolling downhill.

pass on the 4500 - and go with the X001 series - rebuild it - love it.

and the 7500a - skip it.

w.a.reid:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

Last edited:
W.A.;
I get it, I had suspected, but searching the boards hadn't brought me many fishes. I like the feel and fit of this particular group and wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks for your rather concise objectivity. I'd be happy to work out a deal on your combo offer. I'm sure I could bring the 7001 back to it's true glory. I probably have most of the parts already. You know it's hard to throw away good dialectics and heavy transistors. The 5001 too. If jonUrban decides not to. Your of the opinion that the 7500A is just not worth the effort either?

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo. I love to sink her with my pink torpedo! Big bottom, big bottom, talk about bum-cakes... my girl's got 'em. Big bottom, drive me out of my mind. How can I leave this... behind?
The larger the waistband, the deeper the quicksand Thanks Chris

i love it!

email me in private and lets talk about how to get either - or both units to you.

you quoted one of my personal favorites - but more fitting right now is ...

Stop wasting my time
You know what I want
You know what I need
Or maybe you don't

Do I have to come right flat out and tell you everything?
Gimme some money, gimme some money

I'm nobody's fool
I'm nobody's clown
I'm treating you cool
I'm putting you down

But baby I don't intend to leave empty handed
Oh yeah! Go Nigel, Go!

Don't get me wrong (Gimme some money, gimme some money)
Try getting me right (Gimme some money, gimme some money)
Your face is OK
But your purse is too tight (Gimme some money, gimme some money)
I'm looking for pound notes, loose change, bad checks, anything

were talking shipping and boxes here - you can have the machine(s)

w.a.reid:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

Don't let all these audio purists scare you off the 4500. It's like another one of those tube vs transistors things as far as I'm concerned.

I've got a couple 4500s, one recapped and another virgin, and they both work great. I also have a couple x001 receivers that are pretty amazing ... when they're working. Both need recaps, which is easier said than done, especially on the 9001. Not to mention the 9001 switches are a maintenance nightmare due to some less than stellar engineering and design. The most even your average neglected 4500 will probably need is replacing the major electrolytic caps, cleaning the switches, and probably replacing the dial lights. The design is much more reliable - think bulletproof. My original unit had 25 years on it before I started to get some occasional whale sound coming out of the speakers. Wasn't all that concerned, but found another one for a good price and made sure that was working before I tore into the first one.

Depending on your listening room and the material you listen to, honestly, you might not see a lot of difference. I've been pretty heavy into DVD-A and SACD lately, both of which are direct discrete input, both of which could care less about the separation specs of the different matrix designs. The 4500 lacks a dedicated SQ decoder, but how much SQ material do you have in your collection anyway? IMHO, the 4500 has a much warmer sound - more to my liking, but that might have something to do with the fact that like you, I got my first one back in the '70s, and you know the old song about teaching old dogs. (sorry ... no lyrics)

One BIG advantage to the 4500 is the hookup flexibility. It has the pre-out/amp in loop so you can easily hook up an outboard amp. You'd be amazed what an extra 250 watts can do to eliminate the "this receiver is weak!" argument. Bonus, plugging external power into the pre-out/amp in loop allows you to control master volume right from the Sui instead of having to tweak each amp separately. Also provides a much purer connection for outboard processing if you're into that. Yet another mod you'd need to do with the x001 boxes. I also seriously miss the separate A/B front and rear speaker switches. Run a whole house off the thing just turning a knob.

And ya, they do look sweet sitting there in the rack. Timeless design.

$100 does sound a bit steep ... I bought my spare a couple years back for $60 in excellent condition. Maybe you can deal the seller down some. Then again, if you get a chance to listen to it and the audiophallic experience leaves you breathless ... well ... go for it ... <G>

Oh. In case you're still confused, here's the simple version. The 4500-6500-7500 were first generation decoders. The "A" series were early second generation (two chip decoder) and the x001s added a third chip to increase separation.

In case you're not confused enough yet ... given my druthers, with what I got, I'm half tempted to go back to the 4500. The 9001 sits on the bench, awaiting a full rebuild. I'm currently using a 6001, and even tho that one is electronically A-OK, I still have "issues" with signal routing and flexibility with my outboard equipment. The 4500 doesn't make me jump thru hoops to get what I want, and the simplicity and warm sound kinda sorta balance out any perceived difference in separation. If I had a genie and three wishes for the 4500, I'd like FM dolby (adds a bunch of presence to off the air broadcasts and ... I suppose the upscale matrix would be nice, and ... huh ... looks like I only need two wishes.

skizo;
I'm getting down into it , should be fun, getting the bench all cleared out to accept new arrivals , thanks to William, then discovered this Ol' fella not too far from here that uses a 4500 thought I'd look at that when gas permits...U just never know, Thanks for the advice................Chris
(Life of Brian, I mean Chris...)

Hi, I just found a Qr-4500 in a local vintage audio store for $175, next to it was a Pioneer Qx-949 $200. The dude said they were both in great shape, then I read in this thread that homeboy uses his pioneer as a cinder block. I am very confused.
Can someone explain if the QX-949 is of any quality at all?

Both are significantly overpriced. Time to exercise your bargaining skillz and see if you can talk the shop down - by half. I mentioned earlier picking up a nice 4500 for $60, but you won't have to pay shipping, so figure maybe $90.

Which one? Depends on what you want to do with them. The Sansui doesn't have SQ or CD4 like the Pioneer, and of course, that scope thingie is ultra bling for it's day. However, if you don't have (or plan to purchase) a lot of SQ or CD4 source material, the Sui decoders run rings around most anything when it comes to synthing quad from a stereo source.

No matter how good "great" is, you should still plan to have the controls cleaned and I'd assUme "great" would be much greater with new electrolytic capacitors. Don't let the power ratings fool you either. Pioneer was way generous in their power ratings and also tended to use undersized power supplies. Biggest problem I've heard with them is the amps going open and feeding dc to the speakers - not a good thing.

So, all that the Sansui does is simulate quad sound from a stereo source? Why would I want to do that? How good could that possibly be?
Wouldnt even the worst cd4 decoder be better that a face quad? Thanks for the response, I have learned a lot around here. If all I have to do is simulate quad than cant I just save tons of money and not buy any albums? i am confused even more.

So, all that the Sansui does is simulate quad sound from a stereo source? Why would I want to do that? How good could that possibly be?
Wouldnt even the worst cd4 decoder be better that a face quad? Thanks for the response, I have learned a lot around here. If all I have to do is simulate quad than cant I just save tons of money and not buy any albums? i am confused even more.

No, the Sansui, being an early model, only decodes quad records encoded in Sansui's QS system using it's built-in QS decoder. It also has a QS synthesizer to simulate quad from stereo sources in two different ways: It can simply add ambience to the rear channels simulating a live performance, or it can use phase differences in the recording itself (think of overdubbed tracks being slightly out-of-phase with each other) to simulate a quad effect by placing the instruments around you. It does that with somewhat variable results depending on the recording. If you want to use an older Sansui model for CD-4 playback you'd have to have an outboard CD-4 demodulator (like the JVC-4DD5) and connect it to the 4-channel aux inputs, and of course you'd have to do the same thing for SQ (the Columbia matrix system), using an SQ decoder.

The Pioneer doesn't have an oscilloscope, it has a "level indicator" which was "ultra bling for it's day" as sKiZo pointed out. It's a cool light show that may assist you in balancing your speakers. The Pioneer decodes/demodulates all the formats. It's performance on SQ is less than stellar. The sound and build quality of the Pioneer is quite good. Far better than most of the stereo gear that was built in later years. My preference would be either Marantz or Sansui for Quad receivers. If you're willing to make the investment, QRX-9001 Sansui or Marantz 4400 are stellar performing and impressive looking pieces.

Back in the day I sold all these. I don't have experience in refurbishing old gear like many of the guys here. So my perspective is based on sound, features and build quality.

Part of the allure of Quad and surround sound receivers is their ability to synthesize Quad from a stereo source. This is a valuable feature, but it doesn't consitute true Quad. For that, either a Quad tape or one of the three systems of Quad LP's is needed. You will need a special phono cartridge to play CD-4 LP's. There is no audio experience like the sound of a well-mixed Quad or surround album. Of course if you don't plan to acquire Quad software, you won't experience true Quad.

I fell in love with Quad when I first heard it in '71. There is nothing like it.

Linda

Hi, I just found a Qr-4500 in a local vintage audio store for $175, next to it was a Pioneer Qx-949 $200. The dude said they were both in great shape, then I read in this thread that homeboy uses his pioneer as a cinder block. I am very confused.
Can someone explain if the QX-949 is of any quality at all?

Gosh, that's what happened to me too the very first time I heard quad. I just thought it was the most wonderful thing (and still do) and have never been able to understand the detractors.

And that was even before any logic was in play in the SQ decoders. It was just having music all around you that was and is amazing.

EDIT: I have to edit this because I have the time frame mixed up since there weren't any SQ records yet when I had my first quad experience. MY first quad at home was with a non-logic decoder but that was about a year later.

Right now, over on the SH forum, there is a thread which has turned into a 2 vs. multi channel debate and there are those who insist that a 2 channel system is superior for reproducing music and I think they're nuts, of course.

They like to say multi channel is fake but I said 2 channel is fake too. That is just an academic argument, of course, since it is all wonderful.

I also said I was surprised nobody had used the "I only have two ears" argument yet.

Anyway, separates should always be considered too instead of making a quad receiver the center of the system. That's how I've always approached quad. Of course, back in the day, if a true four channel system had been adopted for FM before quad disappeared and receivers built to accomodate it and four channel FM had survived to this day, things would be different. Since none of that happened, a quad aficionado needs only a regular stereo tuner. Then add external decoders/demodulators/, amps, and speakers and viola!

Doug

Last edited:
The first time I heard Quad was in my own home. I didn't even need to buy a Quad system! Let me explain: Two FM stations simulcast, one for the front, the other broadcast the rears. I put our two systems together and fell in love. Two years later, I was selling the gear and acquired a few pieces.

I've met the audio snobs who look down on anything beyond stereo. If I turn off my rear channels and play a stereo LP, it would wow them. Add two more channels with identical wattage and speakers and you have something even more breathtaking. Add a wide surround mix and it's nirvana.

Doug, I hope we haven't absconded with another thread.

Say what you want, Quad and Surround Sound rule!

Quad Linda

If you can get Quad equipment inexpensive enough, they do make great extra room surround systems. You could then get a DVD-A/SACD player for around $50 from eBay with RCA outs and connect to the 4 tape inputs. Then set the DVD player to "phantom center" and you would also not need a sub woofer since you would use full range speakers. Small bookshelf type "full range" speakers can be placed in the upper corners of a room so they're out of the way.

The first time I heard Quad was in my own home. I didn't even need to buy a Quad system! Let me explain: Two FM stations simulcast, one for the front, the other broadcast the rears. I put our two systems together and fell in love. Two years later, I was selling the gear and acquired a few pieces.

I've met the audio snobs who look down on anything beyond stereo. If I turn off my rear channels and play a stereo LP, it would wow them. Add two more channels with identical wattage and speakers and you have something even more breathtaking. Add a wide surround mix and it's nirvana.

Doug, I hope we haven't absconded with another thread.

Say what you want, Quad and Surround Sound rule!

Quad Linda

Rule they do! We have 2 channel stereo only because that's all the LP could carry at the time - and the LP was vital for the mass market. If it hadn't been for that LP limitation, we'd have had 3 or more channels as the standard for stereo. Just as stereo films did.

I wonder if there is a time limit for hijacking?

As far as a center channel, I have never understood the need for one since I have never had a problem understanding dialog in a movie with my quad system. None at all.

I believe a center channel was originally proposed and implemented because of the tendency in early stereo days of having two speaker systems spaced wide apart in corners, no? Then I could see the possibility of "phantom center" maybe not working sufficiently.

I will relate my first quad experience and it was more conventional compared to Linda's ingenius approach.

My then girlfriend and I (we later married) hitched a ride over here to Rochester (we lived in Austin at the time) during the day (and during school - my advanced math teacher used to let me skip on a Friday afternoon sometimes as long as I kept my grades up) sometime in early 1971 and we ended up at Apache Mall. The stereo store would have been one of three. Sound World, Schaak Electronics, or Team Electronics. I'm pretty sure it was Sound World and they actually had a pretty nice quad setup with 4 Advents and some pretty good electronics and actually in the sound room instead of out on the floor.

Anyway, when I sat in the middle of those 4 speakers and they played some RTR tapes they had, that was it. From then on, "quadraphonic" was a magical word to me.

Doug

Back