King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2. Limited edition Boxed Set:13CDs, 1DVD-A, 1Blu-Ray in 12” box with booklet & memorabilia.
DVD-A content as above,
Blu-Ray content as per DVD-A with further hi-res stereo material – all presented in DTS Master audio,
4CDs of studio content including CD of session reels featuring the first recorded takes of all pieces on the album,
1CD live in the studio,
8CDs of live audio restored bootlegs & soundboard recordings
+ 36 page booklet with an extensive new interview with Robert Fripp, notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith, album sleeve print, concert ticket replica (with code for further concert download) & band photo postcards – limited to initial orders, one pressing only to a worldwide maximum limit of 7,000 units.

The Blu-Ray disc is a HUGE plus, especially if it's gonna have more high-res material than the DVD-A. And I like the 4 studio CDs, Live in studio CD and the 36page booklet, but I'm honestly not that thrilled about 8CDs of restored live bootlegs. I probably will never listen to them, and it'll bump up the price to an astronomical high. The only reason I'm more optimistic about the price of this box set compared to others is that the 6 disc ITCOTKC box set is only selling for around $60 normally, so maybe $150 for this box?
At least I'll be saving some money this fall by not buying the Peter Gabriel So box set. So we'll just have to see about formats and pricing for TABB now...

Holy ****! Absolutely amazing.....I started tearing up actually....
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I don't care how much it costs.....well a little....but I am getting this baby!!! :D

I'm glad the option of the CD/DVD-A package will be there, it will be the right one for me (even if the CD won't get played).

saw the SW tweet last night staggering, i thought the Court box was exhaustive !!!!
depends on the price now but I think i know what i am getting for Christmas.

and yes before anyone asks i can wait a bit longer

I'll have to splurge...I love this album and this period of KC. As for the surround, the prospect of Muir's crazy percussion flying all around me in 5.1 just excites the heck out of me!

So the real question for me is:

Does the Blu-ray have anything in addition to the DVD-A?

So the real question for me is:Does the Blu-ray have anything in addition to the DVD-A?

A LOT of interesting info concerning the Larks' set in a recent Fripp diary post:

Now into listening mode: a special CD for inclusion in the about-to-be-becoming fabbo Larks’ Tongues In Aspic – The Awful Truth: Unvarnished And Newly Varnished In Stereo & Surround, Glued & Unglued Box Set. :ugham:
The special CD is something like a making of the LTIA album documentary. Working title: Keep That One, Nick! Conversations and banter between the players in Command Studios with each other and Nick the engineer.

David mentioned to Declan Panegyric that we had 19 hours of multi-tracks from the early-1973 Command Studios LTIA recording sessions. What might we find within? And in this simple manner David commited himself to producing an additional CD for the box – in one week! I am not the best person to judge the value of KC out-takes and in-process commentary, although some of the exchanges between the players are very funny, and Jamie’s arsenal of kitchenware and baking pans is a triumph of inspired clatterage. But it was suggested that my ears should know the joy before the CD was committed to inclusion in The Rapidly-Growing LTIA Box Of Wonder, Terror And Bliss Arising. :ugham:

Now moving through various takes of LTIA Part One, the basic drum and bass tracks. Wonderful clanking of Jamie and his kitchen implements. The guitarist is not doing well, but he is playing to support the rhythm section, anticipating his final parts in overdubs.

And, nerdy info, this is being typed on Mountain Lion, the new Mac OS.

15.59 Easy Money being werned and squirtled, with an alternative guitar part. When we had chosen the main backing track, Nick Engineer made a mistake and erased about five and a half bars of Bill’s drums. Bill heroically went back in and played blind to replace his part, a considerable achievement in pre-clicktrack days.

16.18 Book Of Saturday and the intro to Exiles (Mantra from the beginning of Travel Weary Capricorn of 1969 Crim).

16.20 Talking Drum.

16.54 Overall, an interesting alternative take on the process. Rather like uncovering earlier outlines and rubbings-out beneath a classic painting; or, David’s analogy, sketches of the final work. For me, I’m happy to look at the completed picture and don’t need to see what lies beneath the surface of the canvas that I knew as blank. But the Sidney Smith is in a lather of fan furore, Declan is a happy boy, so I am fine to concur with this history-of-the-process.

I just pre-ordered from Burning Shed...now to wait!

Yep! Did the same. $150 total. Not bad considering that includes a 15-disc set, shipping, and insurance.
Contrast that with the disappointing Peter Gabriel So Box Set that's currently $133 on amazon.

Pre-ordered. Price about what I expected it to be, and I like Burning Shed - best service! Now.....the waiting.

I'm compiling info from Burning Shed as far as to Box Set content that is known at this time:

CD 1 features the completely new stereo album mix by Robert Fripp & Steven Wilson and also features three extra Steven Wilson alt takes/mixes from the multi-track tapes. (9 tracks in total)
CD 2 features the 30th anniversary mix of the original albums, a US radio advert and an edit (transferred from original vinyl) from a US radio promo EP.
(The US radio advert was released as a download from DGM Live and is fantastic.)
CD 3 features an album's worth of alt takes/mixes.
CD 4 features an audio documentary CD drawn from the original session multi-tracks featuring the first take of every piece on the album.
CD 5 features a live performance in a film studio. (aka Beat Club audio)
CD 6-13 feature 8 CDs of live material from audio restored bootlegs from the German & UK Autumn 1972 tour (probably including at least these previously released concerts: October 13 at the Zoom Club, November 10 in Hull, November 13 in Guildford, November 25 in Oxford; these concerts could cover up to 6 of the 8 discs)

The dvd-a contains a 5.1 DTS Mix and High Resolution Stereo mixes (24bit/48khz). Dvd-a players and some Blu-Ray players can additionally, access a 5.1 Advanced Resolution (Lossless audio) mix. The dvd-a features the original album mix, the new album mix, an album's worth of alternate mixes by Steven Wilson (in High Resolution stereo) and over 30 minutes of rare, previously unseen footage of the band - something of a holy grail for King Crimson fans & collectors.

The Blu-Ray features full dvd-a content + many additional audio features in full lossless 24/96.

Screen shot 2012-08-17 at 4.15.26 PM.png
This snapshot above is probably what is alluded to concerning the Radio Edits on CD 2.

Back