King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Oppo defaults to the AC3 stream also. Thought it was odd as the menu says "DTS only"

I get the Dullby also (by default) on my Oppo - I'll have to test this on my Pioneer player.

I get the Dullby also (by default) on my Oppo - I'll have to test this on my Pioneer player.
FYI - On my Pioneer it IS defaulting to dts!!! You can still select Dolby via the audio button - its not hidden..

Weird.

There is a "hidden" AC3 stream there, but it should not be accessible as there is a Pre-Command forcing DTS....
Hmmm

Hi Neil...GREAT job on the discs (I could go on....)
BTW, I REALLY like the "swirling" letters when changing menus, fancy and short enough to not be annoying!

Yes. my Oppo (good ole' DV-980H) ALSO defaults to the DD track, I have to choose the DTS to access it, just to let you know...

Cheers, man!:smokin

I finally received this today. It seems to take anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks to get anything from Burning Shed now, instead of one week previously.
The mode Easy Money defaults to (at least on the Oppo BDP-93) seems to depend on what setup you select. If you select DTS 5.1 from the main menu, it will play in DTS, if you select MLP, it defaults to DD.

Hey , guys..who do I have to send a "sad puppy eyes" request to so that Fripp and the gang could reconsider TWO more titles to be remixed in 5.1???

1- the (criminally and unbelievably) overlooked "The Construktion of Light"!!!
"Dear Mr. Fripp: WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU DIDN'T INCLUDE IT IN THE LIST?????? I MEAN -WHAT IN HADES WERE YOU SMOKIN?????!!!!

erm, I mean....

"Dear Mr. Fripp..would PRETTY PLEASE reconsider doing a 5.1 mix of TCOL????"

2- And one that is BOUND to fall on deaf ears..one of my favorites (don't ask):
"Thrakkattakk"!
The Double Trio going INSANE and IMPROVISING for a whole hour, YESSSSSS..hey , I can take it...I LOVE IT AAMOF!!!

Anyone share my feelings???

I would like to see Fripps solo album Exposure quite enjoying that at the moment. Hints of crimson but not like any crimson album I have heard so far.

Did anyone else here order from DGM, and if so, have you actually received these discs yet?

My account on DGM says they were shipped on 9/30...and they're still not here. A query email from me to [email protected] a few days ago remains unanswered. I'm wondering whether that 9/30 ship date was 'premature', and they're actually not shipping until next week, when the discs become available in stores.

Great album, great mix. The DTS extra defaults to DD on my Denon 3910 and OPPO DV-980H, Playing on the Toshiba BDX2000 Blu-Ray is probably of more concern considering there are a hell of a lot of bog standard DVD/Blu players out there like it. It defaults to the DTS but there is no DTS stream heard or received at the AMP, just a static menu screen . The player counts up as if its playing but silence only. Switch to the DD stream and audio is restored immediately. This might confuse the masses somewhat. Masses = Usually slovenly ignorant nob heads who are to busy with their iphones or whatever to hear the beauty around them :).... or people without DVD A MLP players.

Hey , guys..who do I have to send a "sad puppy eyes" request to so that Fripp and the gang could reconsider TWO more titles to be remixed in 5.1???

1- the (criminally and unbelievably) overlooked "The Construktion of Light"!!!
"Dear Mr. Fripp: WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU DIDN'T INCLUDE IT IN THE LIST?????? I MEAN -WHAT IN HADES WERE YOU SMOKIN?????!!!!

erm, I mean....

"Dear Mr. Fripp..would PRETTY PLEASE reconsider doing a 5.1 mix of TCOL????"

Well, kap'n.....Mr Fripp has addressed that issue in his diary....guessing you are not going to like his response:

TCOL, as a studio album, doesn't convey the power of the music, to a greater extent than any of the KC studio albums, IMO. David Singleton and myself listened to the multi-tracks at DGM a little while ago, and came to the view that we could not significantly improve the album from the source recordings - ADATs. The band weren't able to tour the music live before recording, always my preference, particularly with a new configuration (the Double Trio had become the Double Duo); Pat was on electronic drums when he would have preferred to use a mix with acoustic traps; much of my attention was on writing and playing, rather than recording and production. So, subjective opinion and generalising: the music, yes; the recording and cover, no.

We have discussed re-assembling the album to include live recordings of the pieces. Something like, The reConstruKction of Light. This is one of our discussion plans for a possible future, if litigation and dissent leave our DGM lives.

I finally received this today. It seems to take anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks to get anything from Burning Shed now, instead of one week previously.

I am finding the same. Mail is very slow from Burning Shed. I just received mine late last week. I blame it on Canada Post. :) However, I receive items from China faster than from Burning Shed which is hard to explain.

I am finding the same. Mail is very slow from Burning Shed. I just received mine late last week. I blame it on Canada Post. :) However, I receive items from China faster than from Burning Shed which is hard to explain.

I suspect the issue is with Canadian Mail/Customs, rather than Burning Shed. I always get things from BS very quickly in the U.S. On the other hand, I've given up shipping anything to my many relatives in Canada, it takes weeks for them to get anything, and often it's been opened and gone through by Customs.

Well, kap'n.....Mr Fripp has addressed that issue in his diary....guessing you are not going to like his response:

Well, at least, he READS the posts!
(I was prostrate in a hospital bed when this was posted so I hadn't noticed it)
Muchas gracias for posting this, doppelbock....

I DO understand the Frippster's POV regarding this...ADATS???? then the DVD-A would have to be 48/24 at most...oh well...still, a surround version would still be cool, it's a VERY complex album , but it's HIS baby.....
Now, what he NEVER answers are questions regarding his "Blue Traffs" recording session, where he probably got a whipping from Ollie Halsall , back in ...73????

His option for a live version is still cool.....

ADATS???? then the DVD-A would have to be 48/24 at most...oh well...still, a surround version would still be cool, it's a VERY complex album , but it's HIS baby.....

Not necessarily, asyou can always SRC to 96 for the remix - which will still be carried out in a floating point mixer at high resolution, so will be a true 96k file.

Not necessarily, asyou can always SRC to 96 for the remix - which will still be carried out in a floating point mixer at high resolution, so will be a true 96k file.

Interesting, I thought that the resolution couldn't be increased once they were recorded that way (unless you "cheated", with harmonic exciters)...how , then can it be increased just by sampling it a higher rate?
Just curious..could you explain, even briefly , please?
(Do you upsample the files to 96 and then mix at that resolution?...)
one of your biggest admirers, :)
G

Interesting, I thought that the resolution couldn't be increased once they were recorded that way (unless you "cheated", with harmonic exciters)...how , then can it be increased just by sampling it a higher rate?
Just curious..could you explain, even briefly , please?
(Do you upsample the files to 96 and then mix at that resolution?...)
one of your biggest admirers, :)
G
Neil I'm sure will have a better way of explaining this, but my own personal experience from remixing material in stereo/surround orig recorded at 48/16 (Tascam DA-88s in my case) was that you set up your project at 96/24, import all the tracks, and yes, these will be upsampled to the session rate (96/24). But here's where you get the benefit...now, all your fader moves, EQ, panning, reverb/effects, etc. will be in a 96/24 environment, and when you bounce to disk or create your final stereo or M/C master, the resultant file is a bonafide 96/24 file with all its benefits.

Ok. So I’ve had my S&BB and Discipline reissues for about a month now, and I think they’re fantastic. Naturally they’ve got me yearning for the remaining 5 reissues: Larks’, Beat, TOAPP, THRAK, and Power to Believe.
I feel like the series has been moving slower than I would’ve hoped, and I would love it if at least three albums could be released next year, but why not release all of the rest next year?

Larks’ is the reissue I’m looking forward to the most because I never felt the sound of the album reflected how great the material is, plus apart from the US Radio Ad and a few live performances, there hasn’t really been any extra material from the 72 lineup released.

Steven Wilson said that the reason Discipline came out this year instead of Larks’ is because some TV footage from the Larks’ era is still trying to be located and cleared. It’s probably the Beat Club footage.

Neil, is it possible to expect more than 2 reissues next year? :)

Neil I'm sure will have a better way of explaining this, but my own personal experience from remixing material in stereo/surround orig recorded at 48/16 (Tascam DA-88s in my case) was that you set up your project at 96/24, import all the tracks, and yes, these will be upsampled to the session rate (96/24). But here's where you get the benefit...now, all your fader moves, EQ, panning, reverb/effects, etc. will be in a 96/24 environment, and when you bounce to disk or create your final stereo or M/C master, the resultant file is a bonafide 96/24 file with all its benefits.

But resolution of the source format is not increased by this or any other method....it can't be done. What you're doing is avoiding adding possibly audible artifacts that could possibly lower the 'resolution'. And the main benefit is coming from the bit depth increase (16-->24) not the SR increase.

Back