King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And anyway DGM IMO has been taking advantage of the fans by selling crappy bootleg recordings for the exact same price as the better quality stuff from multi-tracks and soundboards.

For example this show is worth the price being charged, because of the good quality, whereas this show should be sold at half that price currently being charged cause of the poor quality.

But one thing I must applaud them for concerning these 40th Anniversary reissues is that they have used excellent quality footage thus far on the DVDs, instead of giving us crappy quality bootleg footage like Genesis did for their reissues.

Shouldn't we also be thankful DGM have seen fit to give the KC back-catalogue the time, effort, expertise, even the finance (no less!) to lovingly remix and restore all the classic albums and re-present them in gorgeous 5.1 mixes too.. and on DVD-Audio.. Woo..!! :D

Shouldn't we also be thankful DGM have seen fit to give the KC back-catalogue the time, effort, expertise, even the finance (no less!) to lovingly remix and restore all the classic albums and re-present them in gorgeous 5.1 mixes too.. and on DVD-Audio.. Woo..!! :D

Yes, that goes without saying IMO. I myself and many others on here thanked them with our wallets as well as giving them very high ratings on here. :)

its still technically illegal (theft, even) as they don't own the rights to disseminate any of it on you tube, or anywhere for that matter.

but who did this things to be illegal?
instead to push boundary in offers, labels pushed policing approach to same people, their personal
surviving very much depends on. on other hands... anyway labels not much willing to commercially
release anything, even the folks begs them for it.
i wouldn't be too much concern about. that's what is life today and the time to adapts is a long overdue.

hey Neil, you sound like CEO of major label or Metallica's Lars Ulrich :)
relax, those, who is happy with youtube quality, anyway wouldn't buy anything in either formats.
those, to whom quality and physical medium matters, will still to buy, inspite of free distribution over internet.

Sorry Otto, but this is one time when you simply don't know all the facts.
It is - rightly - illegal for companies to post stuff they do not own the exploitation rights to - and yet we see this track also for sale on iTunes Germany as well.
It is well-known that KC own their own catalogue, and equally well known that Robert spent a lot of time & effort getting full control back.
How would YOU like it if some other company started selling YOUR work online without your permission?

@rtbluray.
DGM are not taking advantage of anyone, as nobody is forcing anyone to buy these. You'll also notice that most of them (if not all) can be previewed, and they are there solely because of demand - there are collectors out there who want to have everything that certain players are on, even if the quality is not up to "official" grade.
I am the same with my Bowie collection - the sheer amount of silver bootleg CD & DVD out there is incredible, all of which has absolutely nothing going back to the artists.
At least with the DGM bootleg sales, money goes back to the label and the artists for funding releases such as the ones we are all enjoying right now, as well as subsidizing releases that would otherwise probably not happen if the guys were on a more "traditional" label.

I'd much rather work with an artist-friendly label than a beancounter friendly one.

The 7 so far have excellent 5.1 mixes and SQ. The packaging is also wonderful. I would like to add some more. I will be first in line when the new ones are released.

Neil, i didn't talk about case, when someone use illegal way to generate financial gain.
my point was that resistance is a part of human nature and if ones trying to implement
forcefully their views or the wills on the other, there always would be resistance to it in
many different ways.
simply Newton's law of motion - any action has reaction, which applies to human life too.

The 7 so far have excellent 5.1 mixes and SQ. The packaging is also wonderful. I would like to add some more. I will be first in line when the new ones are released.
:agree: This 'product' has been a labor of love and possibly the best remastering campaign ever (IMO). They could have very easily charged premium pricing for these and most of us would have probably paid them, but instead the price point is not only reasonable, but a comparitive bargain. They could have released each title in a big box and charge 3 digits decimal point 2 digits, but chose to keep the fan's best interest (and wallet) in mind.

Currently listening to Discipline in anticipation of news of the upcoming KC reissues for this year.

This really will be the best year so far for Wilson's remixes as we're getting (at least) 2 ELP albums on DVD-A, Thick as a Brick on Blu-Ray disc, and (probably) 2 more KC albums on DVD-A (although I wish they would start releasing 3 a year). That's at least 5 albums remixed in high-res surround by Mr. Wilson, compared to last year's 4!

From the stuff you've been involved with Neil, hope you get the chance to do some Bowie 5.1 some day!! Looking forward to ELP though - very happy bunny...

Currently listening to Discipline in anticipation of news of the upcoming KC reissues for this year.

This really will be the best year so far for Wilson's remixes as we're getting (at least) 2 ELP albums on DVD-A, Thick as a Brick on Blu-Ray disc, and (probably) 2 more KC albums on DVD-A (although I wish they would start releasing 3 a year). That's at least 5 albums remixed in high-res surround by Mr. Wilson, compared to last year's 4!

6 - Storm Corrosion....

Plus TAAB2 - (not hi-rez)

So what are the titles likely to be this year???

Beat? - For its 30th anniversary??? I assume this one is likely to be released this year...

LTIA - but maybe they'll hold that back till next year for its 40th???
Three of perfect pair? - or do we get Thrak, Construction, or The Power...

So what are the titles likely to be this year???

Beat? - For its 30th anniversary??? I assume this one is likely to be released this year...

LTIA - but maybe they'll hold that back till next year for its 40th???
Three of perfect pair? - or do we get Thrak, Construction, or The Power...

I'm itching to know as well - I'd like to see the pace picked up a bit, maybe a couple every 6 months but I'm happy with whatever I get...they've all been worth the wait.

I think the only given is that it won't be ConstruKction - that one isn't getting done at last word.

I'm itching to know as well - I'd like to see the pace picked up a bit, maybe a couple every 6 months but I'm happy with whatever I get...they've all been worth the wait.

I think the only given is that it won't be ConstruKction - that one isn't getting done at last word.

That's right about ConstruKction. I assume Larks' and Beat, since I think they are the only ones not released yet that have been mixed and mastered, but just like last year, things change.
TOAPP was mixed earlier this year according to RF's diary entries, and I think THRAK was mixed sometime ago by Jakko, not Steven. Don't think any work's been done on The Power to Believe yet, but that will probably be another Jakko mix.

Just give me Larks' this year. No preference on the other one.

Also, it seems like the interest in these releases is greater than it's ever been. Discussion about these has reawakened on the ever-active Steve Hoffman forum, although most of the discussion is about how bad DGM's mail service is...

There is a chance they may hold back LTIA for its 40th anniversary next year?

When i saw it was not going to be remixed and released i went and bought a copy and must say i like it quite a lot. I would put it with Lizzard as an Underrated KC album, and look what SW did with that.
It would be a shame if it never got an oppertunity

We really do not know, at this point, quite where these reissues will all stop.
Which is about all I can say right now.........I could say more but I would have to go sociopathic on you all :smack:

Back