King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We really do not know, at this point, quite where these reissues will all stop.
Which is about all I can say right now.........I could say more but I would have to go sociopathic on you all :smack:

Lol, Ok Neil. We look forward to the day where you can share more. For now, we shall continue to wait patiently, but if memory serves me correct, they have usually announced the contents of the year's reissues around mid/late July so hopefully we shouldn't be waiting too much longer for more info.

Could September 24 be the release date for the next batch of Crimson reissues?
The reason I ask is because Burning Shed put up 2 KC-related items for presale on their site this morning with a release date of Sept 24 for each.

The first is the new vinyl edition of Lizard: https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/product/313/4064/
The second is the Travis/Fripp Follow CD/DVD-A set announced here a few weeks ago: https://www.burningshed.com/store/panegyric/product/70/4065/

I also saw this in a diary post by Fripp posted online this week (dating from July 1):

My morning: editing sleeve notes for the Anniversary Edition of LTIA. :)

That's a nice diary item to read; these things do require a lot of advance work before then eventually appear. The LTIA content could change right up until the end depending on what video the search turns up.

I suspect that KC releases will be after this date to allow the Travis Fripp album release to get proper attention in the same manner as JFC - A Scarcity of Miracles. Good marketing would be not to smother it a larger release, causing consumers to defer purchases.

That's a nice diary item to read; these things do require a lot of advance work before then eventually appear. The LTIA content could change right up until the end depending on what video the search turns up.

I suspect that KC releases will be after this date to allow the Travis Fripp album release to get proper attention in the same manner as JFC - A Scarcity of Miracles. Good marketing would be not to smother it a larger release, causing consumers to defer purchases.

Saw the Traivs and FripP Link https://www.burningshed.com/store/panegyric/product/340/4065/
CD and DVDA what could be better

Well regardless of when they are released, we should be getting info next week I suspect. For the last two years, we've usually gotten info at the end of July/beginning of August.

Once again, more recent updates from Fripp show work on the reissue of LTIA is still being done. But here's the interesting bit...

Today’s work with Simon is to master Larks’ Tongues In Aspic in 5.1 for the upcoming LTIA Panegyric / DGM Box Set

and editing of Larks’ sleevenotes for the Box Set.

Now I've never heard Fripp use the words "box set" in his other diary entries when referring to the Larks' reissue, so are we gonna be getting the regular CD/DVD-A reissue, or could we be getting something bigger like Court? I really wanna know! :howl

I caught that "box set" thing too this morning while catching up on Robert's diary. I wonder what they may have come up with...could be an awesome set of audio and/or video!

doppelbock said:
I caught that "box set" thing too this morning while catching up on Robert's diary. I wonder what they may have come up with...could be an awesome set of audio and/or video!

Now this is pure speculation, but I bet they could fill at least 4 discs for a box set.

CD1 would be the new stereo mix w/ bonus tracks.
CD2 would be the original stereo mix w/ the Beat Club audio and radio ad.
CD3 would be live audio from 72 from the 5-piece lineup.
And then of course, Disc 4 is the DVD-A.

I just want the dvd-a. For me more discs means more money spent on things I'll never use. I get it that the producer has to create a market but a boxset is my worst-case-scenario.

I am going to get some satisfaction (besides the BD) out of the Aqualung boxset: my son is buying a turntable and we are looking forward to hearing how the LP sounds.

I just want the dvd-a. For me more discs means more money spent on things I'll never use. I get it that the producer has to create a market but a boxset is my worst-case-scenario.
How is it worst-case scenario if there is going to be a boxset for LTIA? Those who want the extra content/discs/packaging and are willing to spend more will be able to get a boxset for it like with the ITCOTKC boxset and those who just want the 5.1 mix will be able to get the CD/DVD-A package. I see no issues here at all. :confused:

How is it worst-case scenario if there is going to be a boxset for LTIA? Those who want the extra content/discs/packaging and are willing to spend more will be able to get a boxset for it like with the ITCOTKC boxset and those who just want the 5.1 mix will be able to get the CD/DVD-A package. I see no issues here at all. :confused:

I agree. They may not do a 2CD set like Crimson King, but I bet if there's a box set, there will still be a standard CD/DVD-A package.

I agree. There is no issue if there is a CD/DVD-A package (2 discs like the previous KC releases).

not really sure how much even necessary CD is. after all hybrid DVDA has stereo (and it is 96/24)
really, how many of you having universal top notch DVDA player, still uses outdated CD players?

not really sure how much even necessary CD is. after all hybrid DVDA has stereo (and it is 96/24)
really, how many of you having universal top notch DVDA player, still uses outdated CD players?

Come, Otto - think about it for a minute.....remove the CD, and I can hear the whining cranking up like a 747A on the runway.
"why is there no CD version for my (insert device name here) included"?
Also, a lot of people only have CD players in-car, so including this simply makes it the best value package there is.
A CD/DVD combo is the de-facto standard (or should be, anyway). Cheap to replicate, no expensive licensing fees, plays everywhere

Come, Otto - think about it for a minute.....remove the CD, and I can hear the whining cranking up

to some degree you're right but time and circumstances have changed.

* there are in offer plenty of CDs alone, from KC. ones, who still use CDs, i assume, doesn't care about DVDA and anyway wouldn't buy it.

* DVDA buyers in most part don't have an usage for CD, which come in package.
to assure their full happiness, i would rather include into DVDA a folder with image file of CD or 44.1/16 flacs, that if necessity arise,
they can easily burn up their own CD.

* with such approach in production, the printing cost can be shrink down about 40%, thus offer release at about $15~17.
that's perhaps will result in more sales and can be attractive enough to grows consumer base which could led to grows in demand for
releases in DVDA format.

Well, now that you mention it...on my gear stack: SACD (Sony), DVD-A (Pioneer) standard DVD with coax for DTS (Yamaha) and a few 'regular' CD players, one from the '80s the sound from which I still prefer over the others that play back CD's, can't really tell you why (maybe I'm just nostalgic). And my Pioneer LD player plays CD's back. And my wife and I each have a boombox--hers in the kitchen, mine in our bedroom, in case we get in the mood to crank something up without sitting down. The car has CD and cassette players, so CD's in particular still are important to me if only for convenience and travel.

ED :)

Well, we have confirmation that the 40th anniversary edition of LTIA will be coming out this autumn from an interview RF did with the Financial Times!

From DGMlive.com
RF Talks To The FT
:: Posted by Sid Smith on Fri., Aug 3, 2012
Long-term readers of RF's diary will know that he reads the Financial Times on his visits to Blowers bistro. Well, tomorrow he'll be reading an interview that he did with the FT recently. Now published online ahead of tomorrow's print edition, you can check it out here. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/f588e100-d7ee-11e1-9980-00144feabdc0.html#axzz22alvAalg

Back