King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my notice as well. So far the only review of the 5.1 mix came from the Hoffman forum:

I listened to the 5.1 mix today and I must say it is very very different from the original stereo mix. I think I like it but I must get used to it... It is quite an immersive 5.1 mix.

is that a bad thing different from the original mix, I would hope the 5.1 is :)

is that a bad thing different from the original mix, I would hope the 5.1 is :)

Exactly what I said. He also said that the live video was "self indulgent". Its prog rock! I would be disappointed if it wasn't!

Either way, I can't wait to get it now. An immersive mix of this album sounds exactly what I am looking for.

Postman: Please sign and then print your name.
Moi: Happily.

LTIA.jpg

edit:

I give this a solid 10. I would vote for that in the poll..... but there isn't one. Maybe one day there will be. Maybe we should have a poll to determine if we have a poll. A sort of "metapoll" reality wherein we vote to decide whether or not to vote.

Last edited:
With an empty house I was finally able to crank the DVD-A of LTIA in all it's high resolution 5.1 glory. And WOW... just blown away. I love all of Mr. Wilson's 5.1 mixes (I have all of the other KC releases) but this is my hands-down favorite. I love the immersion of the sound and clarity of each of the distinct instruments. It makes me appreciate this album even more and turns something that I must have listened to over 100 times over the years into a brand new experience. I love it!

I also like the bonus video and it's great to see Muir interacting with the band. Very glad that I didn't buy the box set as this CD/DVD-A is more than satisfiying for me. Time to listen to the alternate album...

The DVD-A of Larks Tongue in Aspic arrived last week and have given it a listen over the weekend on two different systems.

'Wow' and 'WOW!!!!'.

I was disappointed with this album when it was first released and disappointed with the pressing. The heavy passages in 'LTIA Part 1' used to send the stylus flying. It was a very different King Crimson that I didn't really appreciate till 'The Night Watch' came out in the late 90's. In retrospect much better than almost anything else released in the 30 years after.

This surround mix is superb and probably the best of all Stephen's remixes (and thats saying something). The mix is immersive and experimental and conveys a power and sophistication that was missing on the original. Most instruments appear in stunning quality and are entirely discrete, but mixed far more evenly than the original. Stunning. More later...

I'd forgotten to pre-order this, so I went to the HMV on Oxford St. in London to pick it up. I'm sad to report that there were exactly zero copies of this available, and the only copies they had of any of the CD/DVD sets were two copies of Starless & Bible Black for the princely sum of £22 each.

It's no wonder HMV is losing money hand over fist!

I'm hoping to buy Lark's locally, have to wait longer though. Street date was pushed back.

Just got home from Las Vegas, hope the box shows up soon! Very excited about the 5.1 mix and the wealth of extras that await.

This thread has a renewed minty freshness about it. :smokin:

I COULDN'T WAIT!
Since I won't have the moolah for the box set at least for a couple of months , I broke down and ordered the DVD-A from Burning Shed....

ohh. the humanity!...

:smokin

The nice USPS delivery person left a tag on my door Saturday (I was away for the weekend) letting me know I had a registered package to come pick up! So, drove over and got it just now...what a great looking box, nice the way they put all the discs in the sets. Arrived in perfect condition, as is usual for Burning Shed.

Gotta run out again in a few minutes, so hopefully I'll get time to give it a spin tomorrow!

Amazon USA has informed me it has been delayed AGAIN for I think the third time.

Rick

Amazon USA has informed me it has been delayed AGAIN for I think the third time.

Rick

Cancel your Amazon order and place an order through Burning Shed. I always order the KC re-issues through Burning Shed, and they always arrive quickly, and are generally the same price or cheaper than ordering through Amazon. Their service is fantastic.

It want it all and I want it now... Ooops - thats Queen lyrics not King (Crimson) :D

Thrak would be great... Opening up the double trio formation would be awesome!!!

Personally I want TOAPP - please! While you're at it finish off the 80's with Beat.....

Never really got into TCOL.... but I'm sure it would be awesome in 5.1.

P.S. Cool avatar baphomet!

Back