King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It want it all and I want it now... Ooops - thats Queen lyrics not King (Crimson) :D

Thrak would be great... Opening up the double trio formation would be awesome!!!

Personally I want TOAPP - please! While you're at it finish off the 80's with Beat.....

Never really got into TCOL.... but I'm sure it would be awesome in 5.1.

P.S. Cool avatar baphomet!

I'm actually giving TCOL a listen lately..still seems a little out of place, but it's growing on me..

Thanks for the avatar comment LizardKing...same to you...I'm all swoony for Bjork :D

BUT I WANTED TCOL!!!!!
PRETTY PLEASE????

I think it's been said already - no TCOL, though an "alternate" version may come to be - I think that may be the best alternative for that album myself, the studio stuff didn't do the material justice and a live version alternative would be welcome for me.

Personally I want TOAPP - please! While you're at it finish off the 80's with Beat.....

Never really got into TCOL.... but I'm sure it would be awesome in 5.1.

I'm not in any way in the loop, but if I were to guess I'd say that Beat and ToaPP would be the next releases, completing the *studio* based stuff of the 70'/80's....live to (hopefully) still follow. I'd love to see these in the spring being as we only got one release in the fall (okay, it was a massive Larks' set!) and then a Thrak and Vroom in the fall...or maybe a semi-deluxe set (i.e. - not $100) of the Vroom/Thrak stuff together.

I think it's been said already - no TCOL, though an "alternate" version may come to be - I think that may be the best alternative for that album myself, the studio stuff didn't do the material justice and a live version alternative would be welcome for me.

Yeah ; I know....I really can't understand his "reasoning" behind it...it's one of my favorites from that lineup...no, it IS my favorite...I guess I'll have to "make do " with an alternate version...and knowing the Frippster, it probably is better than the original one...

So, is the 6-disc version of Court of the Crimson King worth getting, or can I just get the 2-disc version? The only thing that looks interesting on the 6-disc version is the 1969 live show. Everything else appears to be on the DVD-A. All I really want is the original album in multichannel, but I might consider spending the dough for the big set if the 69 concert is worth having.

Charles

More updates in RF's diary from mid-Feb. More Thrak mixing and a little more on the new Red mix.

A major release for next year: The Road To Red. DGM approved cups with KC classic artwork were gratefully accepted, along with the variant Japanese release of the Larks’ Tongues In Aspic box set.

I wonder how much stuff they've uncovered for Red?

I also noticed that Fripp and Jakko are in the process of remixing Thrak for 5.1. Problems with the sound due to the early digital recording process. I knew this would happen since so many early to mid 90's all digital recordings sound so cold.

Its hard for me to listen to Pink Floyd's "The Division Bell" or Yes' "Talk" (far from my favs from those bands anyway). I haven't listened to Thrak in a long time since I mainly listen to the soundboard recordings from the tour, but I can imagine it is probably the same. At least DGM is addressing this issue as well. Hearing the double trio spread out in multi-channel is going to be ideal! Like "Lizard", it won't sound as dense.

Another thought. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, and these King Crimson sets have been just about the best reissue series I can think of, but as much as I love Red-era KC and will want just about anything they can dig up for this "The Road to Red" set, revisiting this one again already before the rest of the albums have been done and/or released is a little out of step imho. Pick up the pace a bit, give us Three of a Perfect Pair, Beat, Thrak and even more importantly for me some of the live stuff (Nightwatch, USA) before stepping back into what's been done already!

I'd like a Blu-ray box set of all the titles. Blu-ray disks only with no other formats included in the box. So far I've only got one title on Blu-ray.

I want The Power to Believe.... It's a great album and recording.

I agree - issue the catalog first.

There is something very special going on here with the artists involved. It could go in any direction or end at any time. So far we are doing great and the longer this special time lasts the happier I am. Its their material to do with as they wish. If they have 40th anniversaries or other ideas they wish to pursue that is their decision! The prospect of obtaining two catalog albums that are totally expected is not that exciting frankly. This is not coin or stamp collecting, this is musical art of the highest order!

We need to be more grateful than demanding IMHO.

EDIT: Typed the above from my phone; I must also add that the *amazing* Larks Tongues In Aspic 15 disc box set should keep me busy for a year.

Last edited:
The Power to Believe is already in surround so to speak. Just listen to it through Vario-matrix. It separates fantastically.

The Power to Believe is already in surround so to speak. Just listen to it through Vario-matrix. It separates fantastically.

I'll have to fire it up through my "Surround Master" :phones

Robert Fripp has been at Super Audio Mastering to

Continuing from my last visit: mastering Beat in 5.1 surround
, http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?artist=&show=&member=3&entry=23412

And
Into the studio for a listen-through of Three Of A Perfect Pair in surround with Simon and Andy I…
plus
Details of the stereo re-mix of Beat doesn’t satisfy my sense of stereolity. So, onto THRAK in surround. A wonderful blasting clattering werno of terror is currently erupting over my head.
http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?artist=&show=&member=3&entry=23413

Nice update from Mr. Fripp :)

I follow Fripp's diary on a regular basis and always get a little excited when there's mention of the new mix projeKcts.

I thought this other bit he mentioned was also quite interesting:

When mixing with Steven (Wilson), Steven does 90-98% of the work. Working with Jakko, the mixing is collaborative. For THRAK in 5.1, I put on mixing ears and got hands dirty. This represents a return to studio life for me.

HURRY UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that most of these releases happen in the Fall...so a few more months to wait ...sigh

Which KC albums are the best? What 5.1 versions to buy first for an introduction?

Back