King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rest of the email includes:

The following items will be sent separately:

1 x King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon - 40th Anniversary Edition (CD/DVDA preorder)

Poseidon borrows from the successful Court blueprint with mixed results. It mostly works and contains a couple favorite tunes. Whereas Lizard takes work with it's free jazz (said an improvisor himself) Islands is an attempt to get back on a formal footing. If you've never heard it and base your feelings about Crim from hearing more dynamic albums, you may not like it right away or perhaps ever. I do admit there are some powerful moments where they indeed fire on all cylinders that were re-discovered.

BTW - If you look at the track listing for A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson (1976) you'll see a pretty good distillation of the early catalog from Mr Fripp's POV.

I got an email notice from BS for Islands also. Guess I'll have to wait longer for Poseidon.

YES, now I see Poseiden has posted as well from Burning Shed.
Although it's a mystery with the mail service how things arrive as logic would dictate that I would receive Islands one day ahead of Poseiden based on the send out dates.
Nice to know that they are coming and will have something new to listen to as I do not know either of these albums, have never heard either of them so that to me is half the fun in hearing something new as well as hearing it in best presentation possible. Thanks again to Robert,Steve,Neil and others involved in this project.

Although it's a mystery with the mail service how things arrive as logic would dictate that I would receive Islands one day ahead of Poseiden based on the send out dates.
Nice to know that they are coming and will have something new to listen to as I do not know either of these albums, have never heard either of them so that to me is half the fun in hearing something new as well as hearing it in best presentation possible. Thanks again to Robert,Steve,Neil and others involved in this project.

Yes, I just received the same notification. "Islands" is not nearly as accessible as "Wake". It will likely require a lot more listenings to feel comfortable with it.

Yes, I just received the same notification. "Islands" is not nearly as accessible as "Wake". It will likely require a lot more listenings to feel comfortable with it.
I could never cuddle up to Wake, but I loved Islands from the first listening.

Some of it is weird, but good weird.

Peter, how is Burning Shed to deal with?

I've never ordered from them and am always reluctant to order from overseas into Canada...I've had a couple of shipments from Europe lost recently.

And I agree....it's fun to explore and buy something you are unfamiliar with. Half of my music collection was bought that way.

I only have one KC (ITCOTKC on Japanese vinyl) therefore it will probably be the last KC DVD-A I'll buy.

Peter, how is Burning Shed to deal with?

I've never ordered from them and am always reluctant to order from overseas into Canada...I've had a couple of shipments from Europe lost recently.QUOTE]

Blair, Burning Shed is top notch. I have received everything in good order and I find they are really good to deal with. In fact I emailed them a couple of years ago asking when they post out items to please not include the shipping cost on the declared cost on outside of envelope and as far as I know I believe they do that now all the time. Reason why I asked them that is on one of the Porcupine Tree's I ordered I got dinged for extra duty/postal fees and I don't think it would have happened if it had only listed the actual cd cost only. Burning Shed is good to deal with, I believe others have had good experiences as well.

peter

Burning Shed is good, very friendly fellows. The only thing that still surprises me is their ordering system. About the 2 KC discs, they are released the same day, but sent out in two different shifts, seems like a waste to me. For the rest it is great.

Yessssssssssss:banana::phones

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 268
Both arrived today. A full listen to both DVD-A surround mixes. First - thanks to all involved (SW, Neil, Burning Shed, RF, testers et al) - another superlative delivery. While both are outstanding and deserve a more in-depth listen and analysis, Islands (IMO) is revelation in surround (much like Lizard). A perfect soundtrack to dark and rainy day here in the Northeast.

Just finished listening to Poseidon. Yeah, it's a great little album. Well, actually for me it is a great major album, being the first KC I listened to. :)

The mixes are very good, with Cat Food and Groon being highlights musically (and mixwise). Mastering and authoring are good, just crank up the volume and let go!

Devil's Triangle is handled fine considering the source material, but is still a disappointment. (...all that could have been...)

A big thanks to all involved!

Back