Obscure QUADRAPHONIC RECEIVERS & AMPS....any good??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

OK...here's the thing. We all know the cool common vintage Quad stuff, like the SANSUI QRX's etc. But how about some of the rarer stuff. There's gotta be some other decent QUAD receivers and amps out there. They won't have the great QS decoding of the SANSUI's....BUT....if you had a cool decent outboard decoder (like a TATE or a SANSUI QSD-1) is there anything out there, that is vintage QUAD with a first class 4 channel amp in it that you could use besides the obvious SANSUI/MARANTZ/PIONEER/AKAI/TECHNICS etc units.

If you actually compared some of these units with the classic SANSUI's, using a decent outboard decoder,I'd be curious to hear how they stacked up soundwise.

To help things along, or jog your memory, here are some items I'm curious about.....

SONY SQR-8750 (1974) - This also had a joystick remote as an option. A great looking top-line unit. The little I've read (..years ago) mentioned something about underspecified Filter cap's or Filter diodes continually blowing. Keep that in mind if you find one. That may be why there are very few of these around. Anyone got one of these.....

Sony SQR-8750 Quad Receiver_Mimi.JPG

HEATHKIT AN-2016 aka Heathkit Modulus (1975) - One of the earliest DIGITAL DISPLAY units....a MEAN looking beast....this receiver looks like it ain't gonna take any crap from anyone...:smokin

Heathkit AN-2016 Quad Receiver_htm_m4f.jpg

FISHER 9765 (1975) - aka 634 - this was originally released as the 634 and then renamed when FISHER became SEARS/FISHER. I'm not sure if any changes were made to the receiver itself.

Fisher (SEARS) 9765 Quadraphonic Receiver A.jpg

FISHER 801 (1972) - This came standard with a CORDLESS remote control (...if you see something in your attic which looks like a thin little shaver with possibly the word FISHER on it....DON'T:yikesthrow it away...that's probably the remote for this unit) . I've seen a few 701's around but VERY few 801's.

Fisher 801 Quad Receiver_mini.JPG

PILOT 366 (1974) - Never seen one for sale - no info .!!

Pilot 366 Quadraphonic Receiver_ht.jpg

SCOTT 499 INTEGRATED (1969) - This seems to have been available very briefly from what I've read.

Scott 499 Quadraphonic Integrated Amp_ht.jpg

LAFFAYETTE LR-4000 (1974) - Fairly rare and very little info on how they sound. This company made some decent decoders (....or so I've read) so you'd think this wouldn't be too bad....especially for top of the line.

Lafayette LR-4000 _ LR-5000 Quadraphonic AM FM Receivers (1974)_h.jpg

JVC 4VN-990 INTEGRATED (1974) - Along with the fairly common Quad Receiver 4VR-5456X at the top of the JVC Quad line.....so.....whats it sound like.???

JVC 4VN-990 Quad Integrated Amplifier_h.jpg

DUAL CV-240 QUAD INTEGRATED (1975) - An obscure, but attractive, Quadraphonic amp from Germany. There must be heaps of these European models no-one know about. This model had a matching CD4 decoder (Model CD40)........could it be one of the better later CD4 decoders??...someone let me know....

Dual CV240A Integrated QUAD AJ.jpg

I don't expect any of these units to decode as well as a QRX Sansui or a Tate but with a decent Outboard decoder (..like a Tate or a QSD-1) into the AUX in's, some of these might be quite good. So.......if anyone has used ANY of these or anything else QUAD which is super obscure.....post here....let us know what they sound like....GOOD or BAD.

Last edited:
no matter how they decode - you picked some friggin far out looking machines!
for me thats half the battle - ever date a hot looking girl with a lousy laugh? almost doesnt matter....if she is hot!

thats how i feel about a lot of this gear - marantz 4400 doesnt decode all that well - but makes up for it with looks - and i think your picks are winners...no matter how they decode.

w.a.reid:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

Here's my classic amps:

Akai AS-1080DB, Great amp, Powerful and Very nice sounding. First gen Dolby NR that works well.

Amps.jpg

Akai AS-980, Always been the heart of my system. Great sound and big power. Super sized and handsome. (like me)
Status: Still driving the bus after 36 years and no stopping in site.

as-980.jpg

Technics SA-8500X, The newest addition to the system, Not as powerful as the Akai's but still very nice sounding.
Status: Sitting in for the Akai 1080DB while on the repair bench.

Technics Amp.jpg

Spence

Cheers...thanks for the feedback guys. I actually own a Marantz 4400. I love the way it sounds and it's got a great phono stage. I only have a JVC 4DD-5 CD4 decoder to connect to it. I think it would be great with a decent QS outboard decoder which I don't currently own. I used to own a Technics SA-8500X. Interesting unit which looked great on the shelf. I sold it when I bought my QRX-6500...it's somewhere in England now.

The Akai 1080DB looks pretty sweet and I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's definitely on my list of stuff to grab if it turns up. I have a little 1040 Akai stereo receiver I bought when I started getting back into Vintage Hi-Fi and it is a great starter unit with a amazingly good tuner in it.

What can I say....I get the point about looks versus quality....but I'm just curious about what all these obscure Quad items sound like, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them and there HAS to be someone out there that has used them and maybe compared them with the holy grail SANSUI Quads. Who knows, some of these obscurities might have great amps and be brilliant with an decent external decoder.

Plus......I'm also a sucker for any old component with heaps of knobs and buttons on it. (....as I'm sure any of us that was a teenager in the 70's would be!).:cool:

......here's a couple of interesting units I missed.....

GTE SYLVANIA RQ-4748 (1974) - This isn't too rare, it turns up on Ebay occasionally. Same power as the Marantz 4400. With SQ & CD4 Decoders but no RM or QS. Separate Phono connection for the CD4. Earlier (1973) RQ-3748 model is identical but missing the CD4. (I know that Sylvania rebadged the JVC 4DD-5 CD4 Decoder so this receiver might contain a version of that). This company made everything from light globes to missile control systems for the U.S. Military...so you'd think maybe when they decided to build a High End QUAD receiver, it might be pretty decent.............

GTE Sylvania RQ-4748 Quad Receiver.jpg

This unit was also exported to EUROPE and re-badged as the SABA 8280 Quadro..(BELOW)
Saba 8280 Quadra.jpg

TOSHIBA SB-514 QUAD INTEGRATED (1974-ish) - I've got absolutely nothing on this other than this blurry Jpeg. I haven't been able to find one other image of this (..or any info) in 8 years of looking..!!

Toshiba SB-514 Quad Integrated Amp.jpg

Anyone happily (...or otherwise) using any of these rare units..???

Last edited:
Excellent thread! :D

I'll have to dig out some mags and add to it.

PS - That Toshiba looks "bad ass"!

....OK....this is the Last couple of obscure item I have......

ROTEL RX-254 QUAD RECEIVER (1974) - Most of Rotel's equipment from this era sounds similar to some Marantz equipment , so this mid-70's Quad orphan might be quite good...... Note SQ & CD4 mentioned on the top left of the panel. I have no idea if the unit actually contains the decoders or if it's just "compatible".

Rotel RX-254 Quadraphonic Receiver.jpg

GLADDING (CLARICON) MODEL 200A QUAD RECIEVER(1973) - Made in the U.S.A. From what I've read this has a switch for all the major decoders on its front panel. It also has 2 cartridge decoder plug-in's at the rear. One marked SQ/QS and the other CD4. These would be 1st gen decoders, so they won't be all that good. However the little user info I have, say these units are solid and heavy with a decent amount of power and sound great, like early 70's Pioneers..i.e. Valve like solid state. Could be great with a outboard decoder. You could probaby score one of these for $50.00 or less.....can anyone add anything or verify the above??

Attachments

• Gladding Mark 200A Quad Receiver.jpg
    Gladding Mark 200A Quad Receiver.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,168
Last edited:
Geez, this thread is kinda quiet :fly: ...it seems there are VERY few people out there that have used, or are using, any of the units above.......I guess they genuinely are rare.

Anyway.....here's another obscure unit.

Realistic ARS-747 Quad (1972).jpg

The 1972 ARS-747 Allied Radio Shack Quadraphonic Receiver. You probably notice the word FISHER on the front. As much a I can figure, this is a Fisher 601 Quad unit with a unique radio shack catalog no.

The top of the Fisher line was briefly the 701 and then the 801 with the cordless remote mentioned in my initial post replaced it. The 601 was (as far as I know) the baby of the range....

dare I ask.:rolleyes: .....anyone used one of these??....or has anyone else got some more obscurities??

Re: Best looking quad gear?

VINTAGE JVC 4VN-990 4 CHANNEL INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER

thats pretty sweeeet looking.

w.a.reid

and heres one you dont see often

fisher 514 - - cant get link to work from ebay

The Big JVC amps do look pretty cool...:smokin..and there's a couple of nice user write-ups on them on Audiokarma. Although not too many people here seem to use them. I guess once you get to the BIG Sansui Quad's, nothing else matters.

Fisher had a LOT of Quad models....the earlier ones have a better reputation (..the little I've read) than the later, reputedly mediocre, Tiawanese assembled ones. That being said, the mid-70's 634/9765 is rated above the Harman Kardon Quads from the same era by some people. The 514 you mentioned is still a fairly early one...I might have a picture somewhere of the 504, which essentially looks the same.

Turn of the decade 1969/70/71 Solid State Fisher is still supposed to be decent, which is why I'm curious about these early 701/801 Quad Fisher units. They won't have decent decoders but could still be OK via the 4 channel discrete inputs with a decent outboard unit if the actual amps sound good.

Cheers.....

ROTEL RX-254 QUAD RECEIVER (1974) - Most of Rotel's equipment from this era sounds similar to some Marantz equipment , so this mid-70's Quad orphan might be quite good...... Note SQ & CD4 mentioned on the top left of the panel. I have no idea if the unit actually contains the decoders or if it's just "compatible".

The Rotel 254 is the heart of my "office" quad system, does have SQ and CD4 decoder inside. The SQ decoders isn't nothing to write about, the CD4 fairly decent but one time one channel shot and have no info (manual. schematic...) to attempt a repair. Anyway, my cd4 runs thru a 4dd-10.
Does sounds good indeed, but it is not a big powered unit.
Units sold in Germany had the backpanel full of DIN-connectors, while other versions were with the standard RCA plugs.

The Dual CD4 demodulator was a 4dd-5 in disguise... probably JVC sold more decoders that way than by itself. No idea on the CV240... and i wouldn't call it "attractive" at all.
To remain in Germany, Grundig did a LOT better with the 1040 receiver:

http://www.audiooasi.com/prodotti/tweak/foto_prodotti/marzaglia_g.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!Bc76hfwBWk~$(KGrHqYH-DYEqvSK0-8PBK2wdBrI,g~~_3.JPG

or with the complete system 2040

http://www.retrostudio.nl/bmz_cache/6/6465846afae243e9da9e0d6736c9c858.image.412x550.JPG

Please notice that similar equipment with 1020 and 2020 designation were just stereo - had a "4D" (simulated quad) on the right panel, instead of "quadro". "quadro" grundig had a SQ decoder inside and a external demod for cd4 (again, a 4dd-5 in disguise)

The 1020, 4D version:

http://www.juke-para.de/Bilder/rtv1020.jpg

and the (stereo-only, no 4D) little brother, the 820:

http://www.hifimuseum.info/tn_grundig rtv 820.jpg

BTW, if someone can clarify to me how to remove old attached pictures to make room for new ones... i'm all ear.
If someone else can get these and embed it into the page is ok.

Great(y).....thanks for the info, winopener. Love the look of the European stuff...that sort of retro futuristic thing. I've seen very little info on the european quad stuff so every little bit helps. The stereo Rotel stuff from this era seems to be highly regarded so it's good to hear that the Quad version sounds decent as well. The JVC 4DD-5 decoder appears to have been OEM-ed out to quite a few different companies including the EXACT same case design as the JVC original, used by Fisher and Sylvania.

....and regarding the looks of the CV240...well...that just my thing....anything with heaps of knobs, buttons and/or switches on it, and I'm instantly in love with it.

Cheers.:)

Thanks Codestar for the picture of the Fisher 514 (...the bottom one in the ad)....

......geez I,m amazed at how many of these early Quad receivers had CD4 built in.....

I have the Laffyette LR-4000. I got it at a tag sale about seven or eight years ago for I think around 5 or 10 dollars. What a find! It is in mint condition.

I recently started using it again. I don't have any quad sources, so I have been using it as a four-speaker stereo receiver, so I can't comment on how good it decodes quad. It has settings for 2-channel, SQ Full Logic, and Discrete, as well as "composer" a & b, which I think simulate a four channel effect from two channel sources. I have the manual around here somewhere, but I haven't seen it in a while.

The specs say forty watts per channel into 8 ohms, but I have 4 ohm speakers hooked up to it and I have no idea how much juice this receiver has into 4 ohms in terms of watts. The speakers are ROR Audio Research Model Gs. Playing this set up at 1/4 volume is about as loud as I would want to play it in this room which is 12' x 15' with a 12' ceiling. I put it 1/2 volume for a few minutes and it sounded good with no distortion.

For anyone interested...the 1975 HEATHKIT AN-2016 aka Heathkit Modulus Quadraphonic Unit I mentioned in my original post was not a receiver. It was a preamp / tuner. You had to Add (2) matching Heathkit AA-1506 Stereo Power Amps to make it a Fully Fledged Quadraphonic All-In-One Unit.

Those amps actually produced 60 Watts Per Channel so that would have made it one of the most powerful Quad units alongside the Sansui QRX-9001..:smokin..however, adding outboard amps...:rolleyes:...we all know that's cheating.....

...a link to a bit more about the AN-2016 including some "in use" info and a brochure picture -
Heathkit AN2016 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

P.S. ...thanks "unknowable" for the in use info on the Laffyette LR-4000...(y)

please, if any one have an info on Realistic SA-1008 4-channel receiver.
seems cannot find anything on google about this unit

I have a Lafayette LR-5000 (the next model up from the 4000 in your picture), and I'm quite happy with it. The CD-4 demodulator in it is solid, it has Full Logic SQ decoding and an RM decoder as well. It sounds great!

Gudday All.....I've found a few more rare Quad Unit's I thought I'd add to this thread. All of these (..I believe) are European and were introduced around 1973 & 74. I have no idea if they are any good, but they look interesting. Most of these seem to have SQ built in, with maybe some sort of Matrix (QS..??) in the Wega. I don't see any built in CD4 in any of these.

If you've used any of them, let us know if any of them are worthwhile...

Thanks to all that have provided a bit of "in use" info on some of the items in my original post...:)

AA Telefunken Quadro Hi-Fi 1000 Quadraphonic Receiver -1974.JPG
Telefunken hi-fi Quadro 1000 - 4x25wpc or 2x70wpc

AA Blaupunkt Delta 6011V Quadraphonic Integrated Amp - 1973.JPG
Blaupunkt Delta 6011V Quad Integrated Amp

AA Braun CSQ-1020 Quad Integrated - 1974 A.JPG
Braun CSQ-1020 Quad Integrated Amp

AA Wega 3135 Quadraphonic Receiver FRONT1.JPG
Wega 3135 Quadraphonic Receiver

AA Wega 3135 Quadraphonic Receiver - TOP.JPG

Back