General Electric setup/sampler 8-track (Quad?)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kazaam

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Every so often I check out the 8-tracks and vinyl records at antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales, and whatnot. It's rare that I ever find anything "quad", so when I do I tend to get a little excited---probably moreso than I should, since there's little reason for me to write about this other than to say: "Hey, look at what I found!" ;)

With all that said, I'm just assuming this is "quad" since I don't have a player. Does anyone know for sure?

Catalog# PRQ8-4000GE
The cover indicates there are "balancing instructions" on each side.
Songs are performed by Enoch Light; they appear to be covers/renditions of various songs.

Attached are pictures of the tape w/ tracklist:

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 139
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 126
It's got the Quad notch and only has two programs, that would make it Quad.... not to mention 4 CHANNEL emblazoned everywhere ;)

The PRQ8 prefix on the catalog number means it's from the Project 3 label that Enoch Light started. All look like Enoch Light songs too.

Thanks for showing this! I added it to the discography.

I've seen this one before, actually quite a few times. However, I don't remember ever seeing a GE Q8 player, but there were probably a few of them out there.

It's got the Quad notch and only has two programs, that would make it Quad.... not to mention 4 CHANNEL emblazoned everywhere ;).

LOL. Yep, the big "4 Channel" would seem to be a pretty big hint, huh? ;) I guess I worried it maybe was like one of those "Phase 4" LPs. Oh so deceptive to those of us vintage quad novices!

Anyway, the 2 programs thing makes sense to me when you mention it; but this is the first time I've heard about a "quad notch". I always just assumed they looked the same. Hmmm... Looks like I'll have to pick up a stereo 8-track and compare. Thanks for the info!

....I don't remember ever seeing a GE Q8 player, but there were probably a few of them out there.

Indeed, I had wondered if maybe these shipped with their players (much like Sony included those SACD samplers with some of their gear). Anyway... After looking at Mark Anderson's page, I noticed there is another G.E. 8-track with a catlog number of "5000", instead of "4000". It makes me wonder if there are some "1000", "2000", and "3000" series tapes out there, too.

Notice Quad notch in Top Left of Red Cartridge. This was to tell Q8 players that a Q8 cartridge was being played. It tripped the 2ch/4ch switch.

Attachments

• 100_0037.jpg
    100_0037.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 119
Back