Queen: Greatest Video Hits #1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I know this was mentioned elsewhere, but I can't find the post, so I'll just start a new thread.

I picked up this DVD video based on a recommendation that it contained new discrete 5.1 channel remixes of Queen's greatest hits. Boy, I was not disappointed! I sat down and watched (or rather, listened) to all of disc 1 from start to finish last night. The sound quality is stunning DTS 24/96. All mixes are obviously done from the original multi-track masters and they are all incredible. The song selection is excellent, and it made me realize both how long it has been since I've heard most of these songs and how much I love them! This is a great way to get re-acquainted with an incredible rock-n-roll band.

For details, try www.dvdplanet.com/product...ctid=28258

>>The sound quality is stunning DTS 24/96.<<

Do you have a setup with the DTS 96/24 decoding? It sounds interesting but I haven't seen too many products that have added the DTS 96/24 mode yet. Perhaps in the months ahead....

Nope, I don't have DTS 24/96 decoding capability yet. I'll have to assume that the already stunning performance sounds even better than my "regular" DTS decoding of this disc.

Thanks for the link, Rob! No wonder I couldn't find the thread... I was looking in DVD, not DVD-A. This disc is not a DVD-A. I hope people aren't misled by its mention there...

I know what you mean. there are a lot of things in the wrong heading. The DSOTM Article is another that is in 2 differing areas, as are a few others !8o
Rob

Yes this is a fantastic sounding video.
It was nice to hear some of the older stuff in 5.1
Tie Your Mother Down , Spread Your Wings etc.
Kinda disappointed that Queens next DVD A release is going to be" The Game ". I think News Of The World would have been a better choice.
But hopefully it will all be out in the next year or two.

"The Game" might not be as consistent as earlier Queen, but it is still an excellent album. If the song selection doesn't grab your fancy, you can't ignore that "The Game" is technically brilliant. It is an exceptionally well-recorded album and I'm sure it is going to sound stunning in hi-rez digital.

If you check out the Queen web site they are still searching for a number of multitrack tapes which have been 'misslaid' or gone missing. From memeory I thing there were four songs from News of teh World which are missing. Its a shame as I would love to hear get down make love zapping arround the room.
After The Game though what next !! Hot Space :lol:

Well, I will say that I did not care for any Queen product after "The Game". If "The Game" was questionable, everything thereafter left little doubt that they had lost their claim to the rock-and-roll throne.

Personally, I disagree.

Granted, "Flash Gordon" was a pile. But their music was still good after that. Ok ok Radio Ga Ga was iffy. But there are some nuggets of gold in their later releases. Although the whole album may not be up to their original standards, I loved Headlong off of Innuendo.

My opinion, FWIW,

I play this one with the display off. I was never a 'video' fan even back to the old MTV days.

The dts tracks are stunning. All the 'best' in surround.

After following this thread for the last couple of days I found it used at my local shop for $8.99 cdn used. OMG what a steal. This thing is crazy good. Reminds me of the outstanding video hits of Genesis and peter Gabriel. But even better and more discrete. It's a no Brainerd and I'm definitely not much of a Queen fan.

Back