Thread: Hello, I need help with a "hum" problem.

Level
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entry1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello, I need help with a "hum" problem.

I have a Pioneer CT-F700 cassette deck and every now and then when I am playing a tape-all of of a sudden, I get a loud continuous HUM sound. I have to turn the deck off and on again and it goes away. It is grounded to a metal source. The music still plays and comes out of the speakers okay but the hum is loud and doesn't stop! Can anyone give me some advice? I have demagnetizes the heads and it still does it on nearly every tape I play! OWWW! Help please.....

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello, I need help with a "hum" problem.

It is grounded to a metal source.
    I am not sure what you mean by this. Have you tried removing the grounding?

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, yes at first this loud hum started and i did not have it grounded. I then grounded it and it still does it occasionally. The other thing that is quite annoying is that the deck will shut off the tape playing while it's playing. Any ideas why these two things may be happening? Thank you for your help!

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Hum is almost always some sort of grounding issue. I would suggest that you skip the extra grounding, and search for problems with the motor of the player.

But I guess there are more knowledgeable members here...

Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have an intermittent switch contact on your controls. This could cause both the hum and the motor stoppping while the tape is playing. If you feel up to it, try this: Get yourself a can of De-Oxit (You can order cans from Amazon). Take the tape player out of its case (carefully!!!). Find the switch(s) that control play and give them a LIGHT squirt of De-Oxit and work the switches through their entire range. While you have the deck open, go ahead and treat any other controls likewise. Be VERY CAREFUL not to get any of the De-Oxit on the belts and other drive parts of this unit. Let the De-Oxit dry, run a clean cloth over the interior to clean any overspray and put the unit back together.
    Grounding: All the components of your system should be grounded back to a common ground point, usually the ground lug on you amplifier. From the ground lug, you can then connect a lead to a good ground source, like a cold water pipe or other good ground. "Daisy Chaining", which is connecting one unit to another and to another, etc, is not recommended.
    Hopefully, between the cleaning and grounding, you will have a quiet well performing system again. I am sure other forum members will also chime in with good recommendations.
    By the way, welcome to the wonderful world of Quad.

MTGC (Michael)

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try that. I have a can of De-Oxit at home. I will let you know if that is the problem.
    Thank you all for the info!

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I will try that.

Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves me right (er ... what was I talking about? ... oh, yeah) the Pioneer CT-F700 is what, 30 years old?

I don't believe you mentioned where the hum is coming from? Speakers would usually be a grounding issue (as mentioned) and the solution is a common ground between all your components and your electrical system. Then again, if you've been using the same setup for years and it's just started, that may not help much. Maybe an easy fix would be moving it to another tape loop if one is available. I'd also try swapping out RCA cables if those aren't hardwired into the player, or at least twisting the connectors to break any corrosion that could degrade the signal. If it's out of the player itself, try picking the player up when it's humming and see if it stops. Fairly common as these things age for the caps and diodes on the AC side of the power supply to weaken. That can cause the transformer to vibrate some, and that will cause a humming sound thru the cabinet and your equipment rack. Holding it up reduces the resonance. Might help at least to eliminate that from your list as the cause.

Of course, the real solution would be for you to transfer all your cassettes to digital ... this IS the nineties, you know ... <G>
    Sansui QRX-9001, QRX-6001, QS800A, QS 500, QR4500x2, 8080DB - McIntosh MC2205, MQ104, XR16x4
    Carver C400, C9 - DBX 3BX, 224, 200, 120A - Mitsubishi DP-EC10 - Teac A-3340S - Oppo 980H
    Bach HTPC Server (Windows XP Media Center Edition w/HiFi Link and 2 terrabytes storage)
    ... and 46 patch cords ... wahoo!

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all with the help. I will try all your suggestions and see what happens. Stay thirsty my friends