DVD/DTS Poll Ritenour, Lee - 6 STRING THEORY [DTS 96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Lee Ritenour - 6 STRING THEORY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
Hands down one of the best surround discs I've ever heard. If we ever get enough interest in this to have a poll, go ahead and mark me down with a 10. It's brilliant on so many levels...

I was giddy when Chicago Transit Authority arrived, but this tops that for my favorite surround disc of 2010. Possibly my favorite since "Love".

Ordered mine last week - I hope that it shows up soon. I did it over the phone with one of Monsters "customer service" representatives - to say that I did not come away with a feeling of confidence in a successful transaction would be an understatement. But I will reserve judgment and remain ever hopeful - REALLY looking forward to this - glad to see such glowing reviews.

img350.jpg

Mine arrived today. First off, I have to say that I am quite surprised that so few people on this forum have shown any interest in this. A newly recorded, DTS 96/24 mix featuring an army of the best musicians on the planet!

This is something that warrants your attention. Never mind the cast of musicians. First off it's an excellent recording wonderfully mixed in surround. The sub is earth shattering and the rears are if anything, over active. Mostly instrumental with a few vocal tracks here and there. This does not suffer from such a large cast - the songs and performances are uniformly excellent. Not a dud in the bunch - 18 tracks. The usual Monster extras are here including Dolby Headphone and digital files in WMA and AAC. Oh and the cast of musicians - here's the list just in case anyone might be interested;

Drums: Harvey Mason, Will Kennedy, Vinnie Colaiuta, Simon Phillips
Percussion: Pauhlinho Da Costa
Keys, Organ: Larry Goldings, Joey DeFrancesco, John Beasley
Bass: Tal Wilkenfeld, Nathan East, Jimmy Johnson, Melvin Davis
Guitar: Lee Ritenour, John Scofield, Keb Mo', Taj Mahal, Pat Martino, Joe Bonamassa, Robert Cray, Steve Lukather, Neal Schon, Slash, George Benson, BB King, Vince Gill, Johnny Lang, Joe Robinson, Andy Mckee, Mike Stern, Tomoyaso Hotei, Guthrie Govan & Shon Boubil

I'm with elmer on this one. Great stuff. My receiver shows the DTS stream at 48k, but whatever, it is very discrete and yummy. Lots of bass here. While there are one or two odd choices (do we need Joe Bonamassa and Robert Cray doing a duet as they cover Tracy Chapman?), this is top-notch all around.

I'm with elmer on this one. Great stuff. My receiver shows the DTS stream at 48k, but whatever, it is very discrete and yummy. Lots of bass here. While there are one or two odd choices (do we need Joe Bonamassa and Robert Cray doing a duet as they cover Tracy Chapman?), this is top-notch all around.

Unless your receiver has the specific capability to stream DTS 96/24 you will only be able to access the core DTS at 48K. My receiver does and indicates 96k - and I like the Joe B/Robert Cray duo but as you say, "whatever." Stylistically, this is so diverse that there is something for everyone. Better yet, this will turn people on to some players and genres that they might otherwise not have given a second thought. Very worthwhile and a definite 10 - hey Jon we need a poll.

Has anyone found a retailer for this disc other than Monster Music or Best Buy? I should like to buy it but neither seller will deliver to the UK. Amazon had the last two George Benson Superdiscs but they are not offering this one.

Have Best Buy got an exclusive deal? I see that they are only selling it in store - which would be quite trek from here! Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

According to the Concord website, the Anjulie Monster version was released on Oct. 20 and is available for purchase (via Concord at least). See link ;

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/artists/Anjulie/

I would contact their customer service directly (if I were you), just to confirm availability

I ordered the Anjulie along with the 6 String Theory from monstermusic.com, both came.
So the Anjulie surround release is no longer MIA.
I do like it, so definitely in my keeper section.
Six String Theory, this will be in my 'heavy rotation'.

vinylguy4

Thanks for the heads-up on this!
Just ordered from the Monster site using PayPal. Simple!

OK guys, sorry it took so long. I have hijacked elmers thread and changed it into the poll entry in the DTS section for this great disc. Thanks to elmer for riding this one, and I hope you all give this disc a chance. It's a very nice surround release and hopefully Monster will continue with more of these.

Again, sorry for the delay. I've had a lot of catching up to do around here lately! :yikes

Hello.
Have the same problem sourcing this disk from outside the US. Has anybody an idea how to get my hands on this one?
Thanks and cheers
Charles

So what is the deal with this disc? I have scanned the internet and the only retailers I can find are Monster Music (online) and Best Buy (USA - in store only). Monster will not deliver outside the USA and, disappointingly, have not responded to my e-mail enquiry. I found that one had been sold yesterday on ebay, but the seller would only send to a USA address.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of exclusive deal? In the past 10 years I have not found a disc that I could not source from somewhere for delivery to the UK, but this one is really testing me. I am definitely open to suggestions as to how to get hold of it. I even have Lee Ritenour on direct cut vinyl from Japan - and that was long before the internet opened up the world markets. I hope not to be beaten by this. You are very fortunate if you have a US address. The rest of us can only dream.........!

I love this forum, I learned of the 6 String Theory disc reading through this thread. I ordered a copy from Monster, not cheap $28 including shipping. The comments are right on though a very enjoyable listen. Lots of great guitar work as well as organ and a few nice vocals. My favorite tracks are the laid back jazz and blues tunes, and there are quite a few among the 17. I would give this disc a 9 rating.

Is it really possible that only 6 members have purchased this? Or is it the case that only a small percentage of purchasers ever "rate a record"?
If the former, so much for supporting new releases...

Is it really possible that only 6 members have purchased this? Or is it the case that only a small percentage of purchasers ever "rate a record"?
If the former, so much for supporting new releases...

I've emailed Monster Customer Support asking if there is a way for this Canadian to purchase the disc but have received no reply. I'm surprised - they aren't just some fly-by-night company.

Back