Thread: Non Sansui Quad Receiver/Amp Crappy decoder to Vario Matrix Conversion..

Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Non Sansui Quad Receiver/Amp Crappy decoder to Vario Matrix Conversion..

I was just curious....

Has anyone ever attempted to convert a crappy quad decoder in a old quad receiver or amp (....take your pick) to a decent QS vario-matrix by either building a new decoder from scratch or salvaging from a Sansui (blasphemy.......I know) or modifing a existing plug in cartridge.

You can obviously just plug in a outboard decoder or just get a later Sansui QRX (much easier and less stressful) instead of rebuilding anything. But has anyone, in all these years, defied the Gods and attempted a hardwired QS conversion..?? And....um.....how'd it turn out...

....just wondering

400 Club - QQ All Star w.a.reid's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Non Sansui Quad Receiver/Amp Crappy decoder to Vario Matrix Conversion..

i like your style - i was wondering the same thing - if a sansui qsd-2 is just a sansui qrx - X001 board in a box - and a qsd-1 is a board for each - treble - mid and - bass - then why cant i make one - or, as most can tell - i know crap about that stuff - but i know if the qsd1000 s such a BIG deal - why cant the board be had - and and - i dunno make your own?

seems like i inquired about the special chip or board or technology being pirated or for sale - or even still made - and the info i got was that it has fallen out of patent and is up for making - renaming and marketing - - --is nobody interested?

i am .

william a reid
    Sansui Qrx9001 "These go to 11....Its one louder"

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Non Sansui Quad Receiver/Amp Crappy decoder to Vario Matrix Conversion..

.......I'd completely forgotten about this thread I started 6 months ago...

...thanks for rescuing it from obscurity Reid....

My original motivation for starting this thread was to examine the possibility of replacing the vari-matrix board in my Marantz 4400 with a Sansui style QS Vario-matrix style Quad synthesizer. Or alternately (..better option) designing a plug in cartridge QS vario-matrix synth thing-y in place of the Marantz SQ "plug in cartridge" unit (...which I don't have) which goes under the unit. ....I'm not all that electronics savvy, but I know a few people that might???..be able to do it.

My Marantz needs a bit of work, so I figured I'd ask anyway so that I could get it all recapped and "QS Vario-matrix synthed", at the same time...(if possible). But it looks like no dice.

I'm surprised no-one here has tried this...either from a salvaged board, or from scratch....like Reid was suggesting.

I guess once you've got a QRX Sansui, your quite happy with the unit you have.

I'm just gonna have to wait for a terminally busted low end-ish end QRX Sansui (..that can't be otherwise salvaged...) to turn up (..fairly unlikely here in OZ), and have a wack at asking my electronics buddies to see if it's possible. It might even be possible to somehow mod the existing Marantz Vari-matrix board, seeing how it was supposedly based on the Sansui version.

I'll let you all know what happens...if anything...

Cheers all...

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Doug G.'s Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Heck, I have built many an electronical thing in my past life at an electronical company.

It would be a snap if a person had all the parts and a schematic. Parts is prolly the crux huh? Oh, and an adjustment procedure if there are, in fact, adjustments to be made. There usually are.

Of course, I would have to make do with my relatively primitive tools I have available in my apartment compared to what I had at Telex.

It would be cool to be able to say, "Yeah, I built this QSD-1 myself." Or would that be "meself"? \:^)

Doug

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes...It would be cool to be able to built a QSD-1 from scratch, even cooler to be able to build it into any old vintage Quad unit your heart desired...

...so....just wondering again...

...does a schematic or detailed circuit diagram exist somewhere of the actual last gen Vario-Matrix Chip ......or is this another one of those closely guarded unobtainium things only accessible at the Sansui bunker at "Area 51"....

formerly "quadwreck" too
    Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I recall an article in the 1980s or early 1990s about how to remove a QS module from a Sansui receiver and make it a standalone unit, also how to improve the decoding of such a unit. Was it by Quadbob? I might have lost my copy in my fire.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadwreck View Post
    I recall an article in the 1980s or early 1990s about how to remove a QS module from a Sansui receiver and make it a standalone unit, also how to improve the decoding of such a unit. Was it by Quadbob? I might have lost my copy in my fire.
    Thanks Quadwreck, that info might be still be archived somewhere on the net....I'll see if I can track it down.

Cheers...

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I typed Vario-Matrix into the Google beta of "patent search" and found this info (A Sansui Patent Application)....with some circuit diagrams.

Is this the "Vario-Matrix" Chip circuit?? or the Standard QS decoder...or is there more to it??

Decoding apparatus for use in matrix ... - Google Patent Search

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star ChristopherLees's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually had an external sansui qrx decoder made from the qrx decoder of a sansui qrx receiver...alot easier to put on the shelf too.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherLees View Post
    I actually had an external sansui qrx decoder made from the qrx decoder of a sansui qrx receiver...alot easier to put on the shelf too.
    Sweet........nice to know someone has successfully done this...

Chris...Is it difficuilt to actually turn a old inbuilt QS board into a stand alone unit..?? Do you think it would be viable (....without mortgaging the house/car or other major appliance..) to either replace the vari-matrix board in my old Marantz 4400 with a salvaged (or built from scratch) QS vario-matrix board...or alternately, build a "cartridge" version to plug into the SQ receptical under the unit...it seems no one else has tried this....

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star ChristopherLees's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't do it myself.
    I actually got it on ebay ...and years later I sold it on ebay..I think it went for about $160 USD
    it was well done with 4 rca ins and 4 rca outs..and the decoder boards from the receiver didn't take up alot of space
    and the sansui controls for qrx section on the front.
    But it means virtually destroying a QRX receiver for the QS boards....so you can have a better working Marantz 4400...

Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Quadrockasaurus;115572

"low end-ish end QRX Sansui"

[/QUOTE]

Isn't this an oxymoron?