Non Sansui Quad Receiver/Amp Crappy decoder to Vario Matrix Conversion..

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

I was just curious....

Has anyone ever attempted to convert a crappy quad decoder in a old quad receiver or amp (....take your pick) to a decent QS vario-matrix by either building a new decoder from scratch or salvaging from a Sansui (blasphemy....:slap:...I know) or modifing a existing plug in cartridge.

You can obviously just plug in a outboard decoder or just get a later Sansui QRX (much easier and less stressful) instead of rebuilding anything. But has anyone, in all these years, defied the Gods and attempted a hardwired QS conversion..?? And....um.....how'd it turn out...

....just wondering:)

i like your style - i was wondering the same thing - if a sansui qsd-2 is just a sansui qrx - X001 board in a box - and a qsd-1 is a board for each - treble - mid and - bass - then why cant i make one - or, as most can tell - i know crap about that stuff - but i know if the qsd1000 s such a BIG deal - why cant the board be had - and and - i dunno make your own?

seems like i inquired about the special chip or board or technology being pirated or for sale - or even still made - and the info i got was that it has fallen out of patent and is up for making - renaming and marketing - - --is nobody interested?

i am .

william a reid

....:fly:...I'd completely forgotten about this thread I started 6 months ago...

...thanks for rescuing it from obscurity Reid....

My original motivation for starting this thread was to examine the possibility of replacing the vari-matrix board in my Marantz 4400 with a Sansui style QS Vario-matrix style Quad synthesizer. Or alternately (..better option) designing a plug in cartridge QS vario-matrix synth thing-y in place of the Marantz SQ "plug in cartridge" unit (...which I don't have) which goes under the unit. ....I'm not all that electronics savvy, but I know a few people that might???..be able to do it.

My Marantz needs a bit of work, so I figured I'd ask anyway so that I could get it all recapped and "QS Vario-matrix synthed", at the same time...(if possible). But it looks like no dice.

I'm surprised no-one here has tried this...either from a salvaged board, or from scratch....like Reid was suggesting.

I guess once you've got a QRX Sansui, your quite happy with the unit you have.

I'm just gonna have to wait for a terminally busted low end-ish end QRX Sansui (..that can't be otherwise salvaged...) to turn up (..fairly unlikely here in OZ), and have a wack at asking my electronics buddies to see if it's possible. It might even be possible to somehow mod the existing Marantz Vari-matrix board, seeing how it was supposedly based on the Sansui version.

I'll let you all know what happens...if anything...

Cheers all...:)

Heck, I have built many an electronical thing in my past life at an electronical company.

It would be a snap if a person had all the parts and a schematic. Parts is prolly the crux huh? Oh, and an adjustment procedure if there are, in fact, adjustments to be made. There usually are.

Of course, I would have to make do with my relatively primitive tools I have available in my apartment compared to what I had at Telex.

It would be cool to be able to say, "Yeah, I built this QSD-1 myself." Or would that be "meself"? \:^)

Doug

Yes...It would be cool to be able to built a QSD-1 from scratch, even cooler to be able to build it into any old vintage Quad unit your heart desired...:smokin

...so....just wondering again...:)

...does a schematic or detailed circuit diagram exist somewhere of the actual last gen Vario-Matrix Chip ......or is this another one of those closely guarded unobtainium things only accessible at the Sansui bunker at "Area 51"....:alienrob:

I recall an article in the 1980s or early 1990s about how to remove a QS module from a Sansui receiver and make it a standalone unit, also how to improve the decoding of such a unit. Was it by Quadbob? I might have lost my copy in my fire.

I recall an article in the 1980s or early 1990s about how to remove a QS module from a Sansui receiver and make it a standalone unit, also how to improve the decoding of such a unit. Was it by Quadbob? I might have lost my copy in my fire.

Thanks Quadwreck, that info might be still be archived somewhere on the net....I'll see if I can track it down.

Cheers...:sun

I actually had an external sansui qrx decoder made from the qrx decoder of a sansui qrx receiver...alot easier to put on the shelf too.

Sweet....:)....nice to know someone has successfully done this...(y)

Chris...Is it difficuilt to actually turn a old inbuilt QS board into a stand alone unit..?? Do you think it would be viable (....without mortgaging the house/car or other major appliance..:() to either replace the vari-matrix board in my old Marantz 4400 with a salvaged (or built from scratch) QS vario-matrix board...or alternately, build a "cartridge" version to plug into the SQ receptical under the unit...it seems no one else has tried this....

I didn't do it myself.
I actually got it on ebay ...and years later I sold it on ebay..I think it went for about $160 USD
it was well done with 4 rca ins and 4 rca outs..and the decoder boards from the receiver didn't take up alot of space
and the sansui controls for qrx section on the front.
But it means virtually destroying a QRX receiver for the QS boards....so you can have a better working Marantz 4400...

is this now in the involve audio department?

i saw the picture of a box of qs chips - did they buy the qs synth patent?

i think the qsd2 is basically what i would have built....but dropped the other formats - just qs synth.

going to try qrx restore on a qsd1 and then a 7001.

should go smoothly.

w.a.reid

It's funny this came back to the surface. I came across an article about building a stand alone unit with 4 IC's and a bunch of transistors. I think it was from Popular Electronics from the late 70's and had a PCB layout. The chips are still available I was able to locate and buy all of them. Some even have the "QS" logo on them. I will look for the link this weekend and post.

Back