New Chicago quad reissue from Rhino Handmade?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...wow...wow...wow! :banana:

This is freakin' awesome, perhaps the best news out of the surround sound community in a LONG time (sorry KC fans). It appears Rhino is the only place offering the album at this time (EDIT: The Rhino Handmade main page says it's an exclusive release), but it's time to put my $$$ where my mouth is and pay full retail for a change to support this release. Thanks Jon for the tip about free shipping!

The Rhino website for CTA is very well done...I've never seen a site that has separate samples for the front and back channel pairs; it was fun to compare the fronts and rears to the original stereo mix. Ahhh...discreteness. :D

Has anyone seen the "What Is Quad" page (http://rhino.com/article/what-quad)? According to Google, it was posted only 2 hours ago! There, you can sample each channel individually! I can't help but think this page suggests additional releases are being planned...but I hope they are realistic about their sales figures. The $29.99 price seems to suggest that they are.

I'm also surprised the release date is so soon; I guess I've been numbed by the typical delays we see with surround releases (duh). I'll try not to get my hopes up given the last time I got burned (Genesis releases), but I hope Rhino is aiming for high SQ. No DVD-A is a shame...but I'll take DTS 96/24 over DD or stereo anyday!

PUMPED!
Josh :)

PS - The Rhino Handmade site sort of looks like the site I hoped BecauseSoundMatters would have become. We'll see...

OK...I guess I just showed I'm a little tired. Front and Back channels! I was thinking front and back of the disc! Has anyone had any luck with the free shipping coupon? It doesn't work for me. I don't mind if someone points out the obvious to me :confused:

Woo Freakin' Hoo!

:51banana:

I just plunked down my cash, tout d'suite. This is REALLY great news, and I can't wait to get mine! (One less SQ conversion I have to make :)

I know some here disparage DTS, but it was good enough for Brad Miller...! I am gonna play this so freakin' loud... :bounce

I tried to add a reply to show support, but for some reason it wouldn't let me post in your thread. Yet, it seems to let me reply to the other threads. Oh, well... I'll just have to show my support by buying the dang thing, which is the most important thing, anyway. But I haven't placed my order yet just in hopes that maybe I can get in on some free shipping... though... I haven't received any kind of email yet even though I signed up. So maybe it won't show until after I place my first order. Who knows. We'll see soon enough.

I've got to admit to only being a casual Chicago fan (only have Chicago IX in the Q8 collection) but I will buy this in hopes that it will support future Quad releases. I can only dream of having legit releases of Janis Joplin, or the Raiders or Sly Stone..... you think maybe they've got lurkers over here, noticing us doing our conversions? Makes ya think, doesn't it?

I can't believe the bitching over at "other" forums already that this is a surround only release and will cost $30. One one hand, they get all gooey when MFSL releases a stereo-only SACD that lists out at $30, but if Rhino does a surround disc of a DOUBLE ALBUM at $30, it's "overpriced" and "a rip off because there's no stereo track".

Geez, rain on our parade, why don't they?

We can throw them a pity party. Poor stereo guys are feeling left out. Uh-oh..... here come's the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMbulance. lol

I tried to add a reply to show support, but for some reason it wouldn't let me post in your thread. Yet, it seems to let me reply to the other threads. Oh, well... I'll just have to show my support by buying the dang thing, which is the most important thing, anyway. But I haven't placed my order yet just in hopes that maybe I can get in on some free shipping... though... I haven't received any kind of email yet even though I signed up. So maybe it won't show until after I place my first order. Who knows. We'll see soon enough.

Same Here. Can't post yet - probably too "fresh". Others allowed me access. We all need to support the thread once it allows us. Also recommend we each send Rhino an email to show a united front for future quad releases. The email I sent them after placing my order was as follows:

Hello,
I am a member of the Quadraphonic Quad Forum, and along with other members just pre-ordered the CTA Quad you just made available. Two suggestions:

1. IMO you will have a stronger fan base if you offer DVD-Audio and/or Blu-Ray as a media option. Quad folks are also more discriminating folks, and we want the best possible lossless format. We tolerate DTS only when true lossless is not available, and don't even talk about Dolby Digital. You can charge enough to make the difference.

2. The fan base is there for future releases. Try us and we won't let you down. You can even ask us to prioritize your future offerings - we have lots of suggestions!

Regards,
Mike

I sent them the following email:

Greetings,

My name is Jon Urban, and I am the "owner" of the QuadraphonicQuad website on the web, and ad-free, non-revenue generating site for surround sound music fans.

We have long been supporters of quadraphonics and your DVD-Audio releases of the early 2000's. We are a small but very supportive group when it comes to surround music, and we are thrilled to learn of the Chicago Transit Authority Quadraphonic DVD release from Rhino Handmade.

I have highlighted the product on the forum/website home page:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/content.php

I am urging our membership to support this release with hopes of more quadraphonic legacy releases from Rhino Handmade. We are your market, and we are spreading the word on this release. We will do anything you need to support this project and will ask for nothing in return (except maybe more titles)

I have personally already ordered the title, and will probably order any other surround title you offer. It would also be something if Rhino Handmade could also offer the original batch of WB/Rhino DVD-A discs that were pulled from the stores. As you probably know, many of these titles have sold for over $100 on eBay, and the sale of these discs by Rhino Handmade Direct would be a nice source of extra cash for you guys, as well as it being a savings for those looking for these discs.

There are thousands of cars out there today with DVD-Audio players in them, and owners with no where to go to buy DVD-Audio discs.

At any rate, THANK YOU for offering this Chicago quad disc, and I hope that there are more to come. The WB Vault of Quadradiscs is a very nice catalog. In case you are interested, we have a page dedicated to WEA quad releases at quadraphonicquad. If you want to take a peek, it's located here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

Of course, the Chicago quadraphonic LPs and Tapes were released by Columbia, so they are not included on the above web page.

Thanks again

Jon Urban
QuadraphonicQuad

I finally got my "welcome" email that included the free shipping offer, and so I promptly placed my order for the quadraphonic DVD of CTA. Thanks for the tip, Jon!

And, Mike, I really liked the wording of the email you sent to Rhino. Pretty much everything you said under item #1 was spot on. We tolerate DTS, but would much prefer lossless DVD-Audio or lossless Blu-Ray. We want the best sound quality possible when it comes to our surround music.

Good job Jon with the e-mail to Rhino Handmade! And thank you Rhino Handmade!

I'm going to buy this right now and not bitch about it at all because I want more titles from the original masters. DTS 24/96 works for me. I mean sure I would have liked DVD-A or Lossless, but let's not upset the apple cart while we have the chance to get hopefully a lot of more Quadraphonic titles from Rhino Handmade. Finally the Quadraphonic vaults are opening now! I'd like to see Santana Quad titles and well, you know the list is long. Let's also support this title by writing positive comments about this and thank Rhino Handmade for putting out this Quadraphonic Chicago title. This is what we've been waiting for!

Don't forget to Buy, Buy, Buy, this title and maybe an extra one so that we might get more titles!

I can't believe the bitching over at "other" forums already that this is a surround only release and will cost $30. One one hand, they get all gooey when MFSL releases a stereo-only SACD that lists out at $30, but if Rhino does a surround disc of a DOUBLE ALBUM at $30, it's "overpriced" and "a rip off because there's no stereo track".

Yer kidding, Jon! What idiots in their right mind bite the hand that feeds? If this takes off, Rhino could fulfill the promise of Brad Miller and DTS Entertainment's attempt at reissuing Quad albums. We might actually GET some of the "lost" Quad mixes that have been locked in the vaults all these years! And some short-sighted idiot complains because there's no stereo track? It's like complaining that the million-dollar bill you just found has a smudge on it.

Crap, at this point in the multichannel game, I'd buy the thing even if it was just Dolby Digital!

I finally got my "welcome" email that included the free shipping offer, and so I promptly placed my order for the quadraphonic DVD of CTA. Thanks for the tip, Jon!

And, Mike, I really liked the wording of the email you sent to Rhino. Pretty much everything you said under item #1 was spot. We tolerate DTS, but would much prefer lossless DVD-Audio or lossless Blu-Ray. We want the best sound quality possible when it comes to our surround music.

Glad you like the wording. After reading it I thought I sounded a bit like an ass. But Gosh Darnit, I will pay good money to hear this, and as such want it in the best possible format - even if I can't hear the difference in a double blind test! I am guessing the vast majority of their target audience (did they do any market research?) will have one or the other - or both.

My jaw is on the floor. Awesome. Just Awesome. I have the Chicago II and V on DVD-A, sealed...I still have the play the darn things! Well, it looks like I'll be playing them in sequence (I, II, V) once I do the pre-order and eventually get CTA in my hands.

Again, jaw is on floor. Can someone help me pick it up?! :)

Back