New Chicago quad reissue from Rhino Handmade?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really is quite amazing how the CTA quad release just appeared out of nowhere, especially so if Rhino keeps accurate with the anticipated release date. Thank you, Rhino Handmade! I do hope that sales of this release are strong and that our input is well received so that we can keep getting more releases.

HEADS UP!!

Join the "NEW" Rhino community BEFORE you pre-order the disc to get free shipping. I went ahead and pre-ordered the disc, and then I received an email welcoming me to the Rhino Community with a special offer code for free shipping on my next order! Bad timing on my part, good timing on yours if you have yet to pre-order.

Hi Jon,

So Where is the link to join the New Rhino Community? :)

Thanks for this post. I would have missed this release entirely if I didn't follow the forum.

I just tried to pre-order the Quad Chicago Transit Authority with shipping to Australia. Although the website says they ship internationally Standard (1st Class Mail) or Rush (UPS), there was only an option for Rush on Checkout. This lifted the price to $57.35 for one DVD. I've sent them an email to see if this is rectifiable. Having had the original SQ albums (bought San Francisco circa 1974) and every other variant in-between over 40 years, I can probably afford to wait a few more days on release.

One of the great albums. I hope there are many more to come in this program.

Hi Jon,

Toward the upper-right corner of the Rhino Homemade webpage, click on "Log In". From there, the next screen will say "I Don't Have A NEW Rhino.com Account" at about midway. When I did it, I wasn't sure if that was the right place, but it worked. (The account seems to be a combination 'chat forum' log-in and order-placement login.) Anyway... I didn't get the email right away, but maybe within a half-hour?

channelar said:
I just tried to pre-order the Quad Chicago Transit Authority with shipping to Australia. Although the website says they ship internationally Standard (1st Class Mail) or Rush (UPS), there was only an option for Rush on Checkout. This lifted the price to $57.35 for one DVD. I've sent them an email to see if this is rectifiable. Having had the original SQ albums (bought San Francisco circa 1974) and every other variant in-between over 40 years, I can probably afford to wait a few more days on release.

Yes, I am in UK and have found exactly the same. I too have emailed them.

I would observe that they might get a more realistic view of the market for DVD-Quadraphonic if they were available through Amazon, CD Universe, play.com, hmv.com, CD Japan, CD Baby and all the other international web retailers.

Nevertheless it comes as a wonderful surprise and very good news. Let's hope that it will be the first of many!

If Rhino was smart, they would also sell these on eBay, like 5.1 Entertainment does, with "Buy It Now"'s at list price. Otherwise, enterprising folks will buy these and market them on eBay to people who won't know about Rhino Handmade. I am sure that in the first few weeks, a title like this would command a high eBay price to unsuspecting eBay surround fans.

I saw DTS, so not a DVDA but almost as good. The $30 price tag is a bit steep for an audio only DVD.
I aslo wonder about the postage option i only had a $22 option for postage to the UK (thats 5 times more than Lou reed was charging).
I'll be making a phone call later to see if its region coded as well (no mention it would be a stupid thing to do but these are record companies that we are dealing with) ? before I order but will probably jump in!!

If Rhino was smart, they would also sell these on eBay, like 5.1 Entertainment does, with "Buy It Now"'s at list price.

101% agree, also it could solve a ton of "shipping issues" for some specific countries. I know by experience that Italy as more and more avoided as a shipping option.

Nice e-mails to Rhino Jon et al.

I'd like to follow the lead on this and write a "thank-you and consider DVD-A next time" e-mail as well. Which e-mail address are you guys using? I see the customer service e-mail address and the webmaster address...but are there any others?

Thanks!
Josh

HEADS UP!!

Join the "NEW" Rhino community BEFORE you pre-order the disc to get free shipping. I went ahead and pre-ordered the disc, and then I received an email welcoming me to the Rhino Community with a special offer code for free shipping on my next order! Bad timing on my part, good timing on yours if you have yet to pre-order.

Hi Jon,

Toward the upper-right corner of the Rhino Homemade webpage, click on "Log In". From there, the next screen will say "I Don't Have A NEW Rhino.com Account" at about midway. When I did it, I wasn't sure if that was the right place, but it worked. (The account seems to be a combination 'chat forum' log-in and order-placement login.) Anyway... I didn't get the email right away, but maybe within a half-hour?

I signed up last night. Entered "[email protected]" in my e-mail address book as well, checked my spam folder, and still no e-mail from Rhino.

Anybody else get this scenario?

EDIT. OK I finally figured this free shipping thing out. When you first log on to Rhino there's a pop up window. When you fill that out you get the coupon. For some reason I can not attach a screenshot...

While I've never been a big Chicago fan (despite growing up in Chicago ;) ), I immediately pre-ordered and sent Rhino an email showing my support of any future quad releases. In my haste I forgot to mention my preference for DVDA or Blu-ray for future quad releases, but in case they're reading this thread, that would be a great addition to future releases! Great news!

Regarding the pricing and the single-point distribution - remember that Warners view this as a niche product, thus the release on Rhino Handmade, a boutique imprint whose pressings are generally under 10,000 pieces per title. This limited availability and limited distribution is aimed squarely at the music collector community, and the model has worked quite well. There have been some phenomenal RH titles from artists from Eddie Hazel to Josie & The Pussycats! In short, limited-appeal titles that will not work in the mass market.

The fact is that if this were not a boutique title, it would not be available at all. So while the pricing and shipping may not be what we'd wish for in a perfect world - well, at least the title is available. Especially given the current state of the recording industry.

Not trying to slam anyone's opinions or wishes; just trying to help put all this into perspective.

Just ordered it as well despite the high shipping costs. Hopefully they will add a lower cost shipping option, other than Rush, for international sales.

Calling others in non-US territories - it might make sense to try to find somebody in the USA that is wanting to buy - to team up with them so that they can order two and qualify for free shipping, and to work out a way of paying them to post over to your own territory at a rather lower cost.

I suspect actual postage to UK would be around 4 bucks plus the cost of the packaging.

I also re-ordered. Their new web site is such a POS. Tried to log into the community, password reset sends me a bunch of links that don't work to reset.

At least it's better than trying to order the last monkees box.

BTW, I would not use any expedited shipping since the order/time they ship seems to be completely random.

"There is not a separate or "discrete" LFE (subwoofer) track, although one can hear (or not hear) the LFE channel..."

Ah...the continued effort to doom surround music and confuse the consumer (if there is no separate or discrete LFE channel - which is not a subwoofer channel, but an effects channel..., there is no way to hear something that isn't there...where do they get their material? They're killing us here.).

"t can be played back two ways: with Bass Management or without Bass Management." Are they saying there is a menu with these choices? If so, more confusion ensues.

I suppose making this a DTS disc instead of a DVD-A meant they only paid DTS for their license, and not Meridian for MLP (or Dolby for whatever it's called now).

Still - Quad Chicago via DTS! It should sound great. I'm buying. Bring 'em on.

FYI - Tried to establish the beachhead last night that Bob R did. It still doesn't like me despite being logged in. Methinks the forum logins are not in sync with customer credentials.

My RHINO name? BuyQuad+5.1 :smokin

Back