Quad LP/Tape Poll Subotnick, Morton: Sidewinder [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Sidewinder"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The adventurous electronic virtuoso's major label release, from 1972.

Side/Program 1:

Sidewinder--Part I

Side/Program 2:

Sidewinder--Part II

ED :)

Nice demo, but simply noodling.
Morton-Subotnick-Sidewinder---Quad-371790.jpg

I voted 7 on this because I enjoy electronic music once in awhile and it's nice to hear that kind of thing in multi-channel quad. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed my SQ LP of this. Plenty of surround effect to keep you entertained for sure!
---------Chris

This was one of the first Q8's I bought. I have a vast collection of eletronic. Though it's far from bad, it's one of the least played albums in my collection. I also have his SQ's of Touch and 4 Butterflies, which are more of the same.

I have to respectfully disagree on the assessment that Subotnick's work here is "simply noodling." I would consider this album to be more musically varied than "Touch", its predecessor. Excellent use of dynamics here: sections that are hushed to a whisper to roaring modular synth blasts. Subotnick even manages to tone down the maximalist-leanings of his earlier electronic works a bit, focusing more at time in creating a droning soundscape rather than noise collages. Wonderful use of panning and placement as well: this kind of music was simply MADE for quadraphonic sound (though I will warn that it is an acquired taste)! Although maybe not *quite* as good musically as Touch, the mix here is enough to bump it to a 10 for me.

P.S. the Q8 for this sounds great!

Back