DVD/DTS Poll Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Chicago - CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY

• Total voters
Fun disc. Classic quad mix without too many gimmicks (although I am rather fond of the wandering cowbell!). This album is a classic marred only by 'Free Form Guitar' - which remains eminently annoying and skippable IMO. The rest is brilliant stuff from a wonderfully fertile and creative musical era. 9

Rhino Chicago Transit Authority (and other non-Quad titles) ad:
RhinoAd.jpg

I like that Jan & Dean album. It contains The Little Old Lady From Tijuana. Best track on it.

I've had this disc for quite sometime so I guess I should rate it, as I recall it cost me close to $100 as they were no longer available from Rhino. Listening to it right now I notice a lack of bass from the rear channels, this was never a problem when encoded and decoded to SQ, a case were imperfect separation was actually an advantage? Sound quality is fine but too bad they used DTS instead of DVD-A. This is my favourite Chicago record so must give it a good rating!!

I like to convert my disc's to flac files for convenient playback through the computer. This disc had me scratching my head for awhile, I couldn't get sound from the back speakers. Turns out the rear channels were mapped as Side Left and Side Right. I had to Foobar's Matrix Mixer to remap the rears to Back Left and Back Right. At first I thought it was a problem with the settings of the ASIO driver as I had problems with that before. The channel mapping didn't show up until I converted the files back to wave, then checked audio properties. Then I remembered that I had this problem at least one other time before. I'm just throwing it out there in case anyone else has the same problem. I'm going to convert the Aretha Franklin disc next.

A definite 10. Great songs and super quad mix.

Can anyone who has both this disc and the Chicago Quadio box comment on how this compares to the CTA disc in the Quadio set? I would guess that since this is lossy DTS that the fidelity on the Quadio Blu-ray would be noticeably better, but are there differences in the mix, mastering, etc.?

Can anyone who has both this disc and the Chicago Quadio box comment on how this compares to the CTA disc in the Quadio set? I would guess that since this is lossy DTS that the fidelity on the Quadio Blu-ray would be noticeably better, but are there differences in the mix, mastering, etc.?
I much prefer the Quadio version of CTA. Too me it sounds smoother than the DTS disc. Others, however, prefer the DTS disc. A complaint from some about the Quadio CTA is mid-range suckout that affects the vocals, and that the bass is a bit too heavy.

I much prefer the Quadio version of CTA. Too me it sounds smoother than the DTS disc. Others, however, prefer the DTS disc. A complaint from some about the Quadio CTA is mid-range suckout that affects the vocals, and that the bass is a bit too heavy.
I agree that the Blu-ray sounds much smoother. I don't have a problem with the equalisation of the box set either. I have always applied a bit of bass and treble to most everything that I listen to, more with vinyl less with CD. The box set sounds good without applying much/any bass or treble. In general DTS has always sounded fine, it's shortcomings only become apparent after listening to a higher rez version.

Thanks for the responses. I have the Quadio box, and have always been very pleased with it, though I'm aware of the criticisms of the "smile" EQ that Rhino is often accused of, on many of their releases. Was just curious if there was anything special about the prior quad release of CTA that I should know about, since that's my favorite Chicago album (in general, I like their albums in descending order from earliest to newest, with little use for any of the post Terry Kath stuff).

I much prefer the DTS DVD, which was mastered by Bob Vosgien, a true master (no pun intended) of his craft. He did a great job of smoothing out the differences between some of the tracks, in stark contrast to Craig Anderson, a DVD/BluRay author moonlighting as a mastering engineer who seems to have thrown a one-size-fits-all smiley face EQ on all of the Chicago albums (and all of the Doobie Bros. quads too).

If there are people who like the BluRay versions better I'm not going to try and dissuade them because we're incredibly lucky to have them at all, but I've probably listened to Chicago more than any other band in my life (though they don't get as much rotation these days as they did when I was younger) and the BluRay versions sound unlike any of the versions I grew up listening to, including the original quad and stereo vinyl releases and the original Columbia/Chicago Records CD masterings. As a result of Anderson's EQ choices, the horns are harsh and sibilant, and the bass is overpowering at times. The other unfortunate consequence of the boosted bottom and top end is that the midrange elements, vocals especially are recessed and sound almost buried in the mix at times, even if you're sitting exactly in the sweet spot. The only saving grace for me is that he seems to have gone pretty easy on the compression for the most part, though the bass drum does feel like it's had a little bit added to it as the percussive transients seem a lot more 'violent' than I've ever heard them before.

Sidenote, I have a spare copy of the Quadio CTA DVD (as well as a copy of the Aretha Greatest Hits DVD) if anyone wants to buy them - feel free to contact me via PM.

I much prefer the DTS DVD, which was mastered by Bob Vosgien, a true master (no pun intended) of his craft. He did a great job of smoothing out the differences between some of the tracks, in stark contrast to Craig Anderson, a DVD/BluRay author moonlighting as a mastering engineer who seems to have thrown a one-size-fits-all smiley face EQ on all of the Chicago albums (and all of the Doobie Bros. quads too).

I would like to hear the Bob Vosgien master of CTA in true high resolution. (Whether I can tell the difference between straight lossy DTS and full hi-res is another matter. :) ) I thought I recall Bob mentioning somewhere that the DTS disc was close in sound quality to the high resolution digital master, but the latter still sounded better.

Has anyone figured out a 'reverse smiley face' EQ to offset that applied to the Quadios? To me, the latter albums XIII and X did not need Anderson smiley face EQ and sound a bit too elevated on the high end compared to the other albums in the box set. On CTA, I'd probably roll off the bass and leave the highs alone. But like steelydave says, not all the tracks should get the same EQ treatment.

If there are people who like the BluRay versions better I'm not going to try and dissuade them because we're incredibly lucky to have them at all, but I've probably listened to Chicago more than any other band in my life (though they don't get as much rotation these days as they did when I was younger) and the BluRay versions sound unlike any of the versions I grew up listening to, including the original quad and stereo vinyl releases and the original Columbia/Chicago Records CD masterings. As a result of Anderson's EQ choices, the horns are harsh and sibilant, and the bass is overpowering at times. The other unfortunate consequence of the boosted bottom and top end is that the midrange elements, vocals especially are recessed and sound almost buried in the mix at times, even if you're sitting exactly in the sweet spot. The only saving grace for me is that he seems to have gone pretty easy on the compression for the most part, though the bass drum does feel like it's had a little bit added to it as the percussive transients seem a lot more 'violent' than I've ever heard them before.

Sidenote, I have a spare copy of the Quadio CTA DVD (as well as a copy of the Aretha Greatest Hits DVD) if anyone wants to buy them - feel free to contact me via PM.
That is a perfect description of how I hear the Chicago and Doobie Bluray mixes. I read about how marvellous these quadios sound, and yes it is fantastic to have them created, and there are exceptions and some tracks work, but when I compare Chicago and Doobie 5.1 mixes, then it jumps out that the vocals are recessed in the mixes on those Blurays. A real pity.

Do you think the smiley face eq of the Blu-ray's are even more exaggerated on the Doobies set vs the Chicago's?

That is a perfect description of how I hear the Chicago and Doobie Bluray mixes. I read about how marvellous these quadios sound, and yes it is fantastic to have them created, and there are exceptions and some tracks work, but when I compare Chicago and Doobie 5.1 mixes, then it jumps out that the vocals are recessed in the mixes on those Blurays. A real pity.
The 5.1 Chicago mixes are too front heavy. The Doobie 5.1 mix (Captain) on the other hand is nearly perfection.

Back