DVD/DTS Poll Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Chicago - CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY

• Total voters
Neither were the original LP's. CTA was on Columbia. RCA/Warner/Asylum/Elektra used the "Quadradisc" name as it was meant to signify a CD-4 system.

Anywho, I'm not the biggest Chicago fan, but I do likes my Quad. I've enjoyed this disc - even Free Form Guitar (well, once was enough). A very well done transfer! Full of life, high highs, full lows - - Bob V. did a very good job. My props to him and hope he'll do more! A solid 9 from me.

Great music content. Songs are dated to 1967/68 but none are worn out. It was good to hear them again after such a long time.
Great audio quality. One must turn up the listening level on this one the same as with Ziggy Stardust and Lightbulb Sun. 5 to 6 dB above normal is the minimum. That's when my subs started working and I found the bass I knew was there. 8 dB above normal and I saw God. I kid you not. He says "hi." Would love to hear this in Hi Rez.
Great quad mix. Some gimmicks. More discrete use of the 4 speakers.
Great video in that the song title flashes at the beginning and end of each song. Don't believe I've ever seen that before.
Great value at $30 for a double album.
I give it a 10. Let's have more of these.

Last edited:
First off, I am a casual Chicago fan. I like them on the radio and have seen them live once, but I don't own any of their albums. Until now, that is. Wow, what a great sounding disc. The quad mix really brings new life to songs that have been beat to death by radio. I hope the disc sells well so Rhino digs deep into the Warners vaults. My big hope is for the Quad mix of Black Oak Arkansas' "Raunch + Roll Live" album.

I especially like how "I'm A Man" sounds on this. I'm really glad I bought this one.

Yesterday, I listened to this disc for a second time. I've noticed some people pointing out the lack of bass. I agree, but only the deep bass frequencies. This is a 1969 release and the limitation is of the analog source tape. Just listen to any recording during this period and it would sound the same, regardless of mastering.

Last edited:
What's the other thread, and can I get this for anything less than $33.97 ?
Let's save this thread for actual reviews and leave the "mine shipped!" and "yay!" posts for the other thread. Thanks

I don't get on to post much, but I must thank Rhino for the release, and hope there's much more to come!

Wow, what can I say... This is wonderful. I never thought I'd get so excited about this one. I have been quite disappointed with the 2002 CD remaster, and now I know why. This just kicks it out the window! I'll never again listen to the CD - maybe save it as a warning example on how not to "remaster".

I play this close to 0 dB, that is, reference level of approximately 105 dB. That is loud, but this just sound awesome - great punch in the drums, great bass, nice impact in the horns, hammond swirling.

I gave it an 8 - the music is not 10 for me, and I've got to save some numbers for Aqualung and Close... :D Bring 'em on!

Thank you so much, Bob Vosgien and everybody else involved at Rhino! (y)

Well, I've always loved this album (by far their best, IMO) and this quad mix is quite excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the balance between the instruments. Using bass management, the Fender bass played with a pic and flatwound strings is the perfect combination of warmth and articulation. Kath's guitar sounds great, too. All things considered, I really feel it's an exceptional release and I'd love to have a few more from that era given the music is to my taste.

Did anybody notice there is a review of this CTA DVD in this month's (August) The Absolute Sound? They list it as a "four-channel music-only DVD. They mostly commemted on the musical content, with no comments on the mix. I was surprized to find a review of quad music in TAS, especially one in lowres DTS!
Anyway, why no review in other magazines? Where's our own Kal when we need him?

One of my favourite albums of all time. I've missed out on this so far. Has anyone seen it for sale in a store in southern Ontario? Not likely, eh.

I see that some enterprising individuals have listed a handful on Amazon for about $60 USD. Not too helpful, I know, but you won't find these at retail, anywhere - they were web-order only.

I wonder how many copies they actually sold...to make it sold out..

Probably just some silly trick to get people to buy the Aretha disk before it is "sold out". I'm sure they could make more of the Chicago title if they wanted to.

.... and I'm still not buying the Aretha.

Probably just some silly trick to get people to buy the Aretha disk before it is "sold out". I'm sure they could make more of the Chicago title if they wanted to.

Of course they could make more if they wanted to. That's not the point.

The point is that they followed the Handmade model: make a certain amount of specialized product to serve a niche market. Selling that amount goes past break-even, past profit, into pure profit. When you get there, you've had a success.

If this didn't work, they wouldn't have done the Handmade Jo Jo Gunne discs, or the Fanny box, or the Eddie Hazel disc. They superserved their niche, and guaranteed that future Handmade titles, because of their finite supply, will also have an audience with a built-in appetite. It's Marketing 101.

But your cynicism keeps you from seeing that they most likely will not make more, for the reasons I just stated. If you suddenly start repopping a product that was touted as limited-edition, suddenly demand decreases because folks think "Oh, they'll just make more." The incentive for early buying is diluted.

So if you missed this, you'll just be paying stupid money for one down the road when you finally decide you've got to have it. (Same with the Aretha.)

OTOH, you could buy the Aretha even though you don't want it, knowing it will go up in value in six months when they're sold out, and get stupid money from some other schmuck instead. And support the release of future Quadio titles in so doing.

Whatever.

Of course they could make more if they wanted to. That's not the point.

The point is that they followed the Handmade model: make a certain amount of specialized product to serve a niche market. Selling that amount goes past break-even, past profit, into pure profit. When you get there, you've had a success.

If this didn't work, they wouldn't have done the Handmade Jo Jo Gunne discs, or the Fanny box, or the Eddie Hazel disc. They superserved their niche, and guaranteed that future Handmade titles, because of their finite supply, will also have an audience with a built-in appetite. It's Marketing 101.

But your cynicism keeps you from seeing that they most likely will not make more, for the reasons I just stated. If you suddenly start repopping a product that was touted as limited-edition, suddenly demand decreases because folks think "Oh, they'll just make more." The incentive for early buying is diluted.

So if you missed this, you'll just be paying stupid money for one down the road when you finally decide you've got to have it. (Same with the Aretha.)

OTOH, you could buy the Aretha even though you don't want it, knowing it will go up in value in six months when they're sold out, and get stupid money from some other schmuck instead. And support the release of future Quadio titles in so doing.

Whatever.

I would say that sums it up pretty well. I would not suggest buying these early Rhino Quad releases with hope of selling for a profit at a later date. That might work or it might not but either way, I would only recommend buying these for personal consumption.

Back