HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - THE INCIDENT [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - THE INCIDENT

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
I gave it the 9+, I held off on this one longer than past PT releases...and then it took about a month before it finally arrived in my mailbox from Burning Shed! I was about to go for the second buy, and with insurance. Songwriting wise....it is a welcome return to shorter, discrete melodies. This one will grow on me. I think Steve wrote that opening riff in '67 when he was born and young Dave Gimour ripped it....

I'm giving it a 7. The music just doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. Sonics and surround are both good.

Last edited:
Possible translation. A hi fi disc like this is hard to find and download. Something this forum does NOT support.

Long live the concept album. The subject matter is dark and musically and lyrically PT pull this off brilliantly. Reflective and respectful, not music to slash your wrists by. Time Flies and I Drive the Hearse the standouts. I think the surround mix is SW's best for PT and there is outstanding dynamic range. To nearly quote PT "(near) silence is another way of saying what I want to say"

I picked this one up a couple of months ago and I agree with most others, it is another great surround release from Porcupine Tree. I know we are so far out of the mainstream with our appreciation of this group but I did notice today that the FYE in Panama City, FL had a few PT discs including maybe 3 DVD-As, 2 DVD-Vs and at least a couple CDs. I think only one of each but at least there is product available in the store and prices were reasonable considering these are not mass market releases.

It took me a while to get into The Incident, but like all PT releases, it will eventually click and you will have the usual musical epiphany. I agree with Time Lord, 'Time Flies' is an outstanding track, but I don't think there is a dud amongst them. Got mine from Burning Shed.

Finally got this one on DVD-A...as I got the limited edition copy DVD with DTS when The incident was first released in 2009.....so I didn't rush and get the DVD-A.

Having listened to the DVD-A a couple of times I can say that even given the excellent DTS stream the DVD-A Hi-rez MLP still sounds better than the DTS!

Way too many "10" ratings get thrown around due to people getting excited over anything the labels throw their way, and sometimes those ratings are undeserved. THIS is a perfect "10" for retail surround. An absolute perfect mix. This is the type of true "what only a professional can do" separation that should be expected from every single item we're asked to throw down money for. This is the type of mix I can't match with my own work, even on my best day. How anyone can settle from anything less than this from professional producers is beyond me.

I was in absolute amazement at what both whole AND individuals parts here sounded like. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. That's why Steven Wilson gets the props he does from guys like Tim on here.

Hey Boys & Girls,

Just found new copies of The Incident & Fear Of A Blank Planet on Amazon for approx $32 each. The seller has multiple copies of each. My copies were more than this, so I assume there must be others looking for a deal.

Go to this link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/r...74G&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A2R6HS1ZGG857A
and type in "DVD" in the "Search for other products from this seller:" field.

Ken

Hey Boys & Girls,

Just found new copies of The Incident & Fear Of A Blank Planet on Amazon for approx $32 each. The seller has multiple copies of each. My copies were more than this, so I assume there must be others looking for a deal.

Go to this link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/r...74G&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A2R6HS1ZGG857A
and type in "DVD" in the "Search for other products from this seller:" field.

Ken

It is WAY cheaper to buy directly from the Porcupine Tree webstore, BurningShed.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/

Including shipping to the US, the Fear of a Blank Planet DVD-A costs $18.40, the same price for The Incident.

After spending a couple of week with The Incident - mostly on the ipod but with bouts of 5.1 when possible - I find this album to be exceptional. Some of the songs are incredible but all are very enjoyable. The sound, whether 5.1 or stereo from the ipod, is outstanding. The music is fantastic. I ordered the Incident, FOB and Stupid Dreams for myself at Christmas and with the exception of Springsteen's new album every once in a while, they are all I listen too. I now am fully immersed in PT and have just ordered Octane Twisted to complement The Incident and more SW material. Can't wait until it arrives.

Wow...how time flies!

I can very much remember the day that I bought this album (CD, as the DVD-A wasn't out yet) almost 5 years ago.
My good friend Mark & I went to a Best Buy near New Orleans, where I was attending college at the time, to buy the album, and I walked out of the store having bought three copies of it! (One for me, one for Mark since he drove me to get it, and one for a relative.)
Then I remember going back to my room, playing the album on headphones, and was taken on a spectacular sonic journey!
Now how do I feel about the album almost 5 years later?
I still like it, but it's lost it's charm at a couple of spots for me. The middle section (Tracks 5-8) represents the weak middle of the album for me, but thankfully the beginning and ending 4 tracks (along with the epic "Time Flies") more than make up for its weak spots.
The surround mix is also the best way to listen to the album as the guitars, keyboards, and vocals truly immerse you.

Oh how I wish I could go back to that fantastic night in Memphis, TN almost four years ago when PT played with Coheed & Cambria (who I really don't like very much...)
I was able to meet all of the PT guys after the show (including Steven Wilson), and I have pictures and autographs to prove it!
All 5 members autographed my Incident DVD-A booklet and my Anesthetize Blu-Ray digibook. :)

image.jpg

Back