Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using Plogue Bidule and SPEC 4.0/4.21

SPEC bump for Christmas!

Especially for those new members who might not know about this amazing software, which has been improved since this thread was started.
    :-jon

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    SPEC bump for Christmas!

Especially for those new members who might not know about this amazing shareware, which has been improved since this thread was started.
    Not shareware, Jon. Donateware, meaning that the user has the option of giving Zeerround some money, if they so desire, but nothing is held back if they don't. People should keep in mind that, while SPEC doesn't cost money, Plogue Bidule does and, while Zee works on being able to develop for other DAW's, that's what we've got.

Thanks for the plug, though. I've been utilizing SPEC since its infancy, and am consistently amazed at how a completely home-grown piece of code can out-perform anything software companies have put out, and it's not even close.

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DKA View Post
    Not shareware, Jon. Donateware, meaning that the user has the option of giving Zeerround some money, if they so desire, but nothing is held back if they don't. People should keep in mind that, while SPEC doesn't cost money, Plogue Bidule does and, while Zee works on being able to develop for other DAW's, that's what we've got.

Thanks for the plug, though. I've been utilizing SPEC since its infancy, and am consistently amazed at how a completely home-grown piece of code can out-perform anything software companies have put out, and it's not even close.
    There is some great stuff being upmixed indeed. I could have been one of the earliest members of SBU. Now, I wish I had, but I didn't have the time then to devote so I didn't join. thanks to DKA and all those who have labored for their love and allowed us all to enjoy for free!

300 Club - QQ All Star boondocks's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    SPEC bump for Christmas!

Especially for those new members who might not know about this amazing software, which has been improved since this thread was started.
    Thanks, Jon.
    Like DKA, I've been involved with SPEC since the beginning. Not as a coder, that's zeerround's talent, but as a tester. It has been a great experience to watch SPEC grow and change into what it is today.

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DKA View Post
    Not shareware, Jon. Donateware, meaning that the user has the option of giving Zeerround some money, if they so desire, but nothing is held back if they don't.
    DKA,

Thanks. Somehow I missed the donation aspect of SPEC. This software is truly worthy of donations. I encourage all QQ members who love to use their PCs with surround audio files and DTS/DVD-A, etc, to check out SPEC and discover how great it really is.

BTW - I "stickied" this thread, so more people can find it in the future!
    :-jon

Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me what 'PorFiN' means? I see lots of upmixes out there with this prefix. (I presume it's something to do with Plogue...)

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    Can someone tell me what 'PorFiN' means? I see lots of upmixes out there with this prefix. (I presume it's something to do with Plogue...)
    Nickname of the person creating the mix. That's all. He's very good for someone who's been doing mixes for, maybe, two years or so.

"Por fin" translates into spanish as "at last."

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Forum Musician
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    To me it's a Good Housekeeping seal! I know it's going to be great. DKA, porFin and Holland 123 releases are what I check out first. If I missed anybody, I love you too.
    Timbre4
    Moderator, Musician, Foole
    Daddeo 2014 Selected Songs link:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=122027&t=3401

Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

So can these tools be used to decode sq or qs on the fly? Seems I remember that another forum, not suroundbyus had some techniques that used plogue to do this, maybe spec is better?

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quattro64 View Post
    So can these tools be used to decode sq or qs on the fly? Seems I remember that another forum, not suroundbyus had some techniques that used plogue to do this, maybe spec is better?
    Not specfically. No. None of this was developed with the replication or decoding of quad in mind.

Zeerround has dabbled in it, including some stuff which would have pissed off the die-hards here for sure (if you're not pissing someone off, you're not workig hard enough ) and I've been interested at times in developing a SPEC for quad decoding, if only to bridge worlds a bit, but he's yet to come up with something that matches, say, Richard's scripts, in quality. There's a LOT in development right now, but nothing that goes in that direction. I'd say the work done with those scripts is the best you can find.

Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response DKA,

I'm more interested in SPEC and Plogue for their ability to upmix, especially 'on the fly' so I don't have to convert my entire library in order to enjoy it in surround. Certain Albums I will probably convert tho because in the end they will sound beter with an individual treatment instead of the generic settings I come up with for 'on the fly'. I was wondering if anyone still tried this method for on the fly sq or qs decoding as the dtsac3 forum did experiment with Plogue a while back. It would be very convenient to have a way to decode vinyl this way for casual playback. For conversions I'll wait for the final process to be published via Richard. Their process for using plogue to convert QS is still published on their site. I'll read up on that and see If I can't come up with something that will work ok with SQ. It seems SPEC might be helpful as its an interesting tool compared to the plugins that they used in the past for this.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quattro64 View Post
    Thanks for the response DKA,

I'm more interested in SPEC and Plogue for their ability to upmix, especially 'on the fly' so I don't have to convert my entire library in order to enjoy it in surround. Certain Albums I will probably convert tho because in the end they will sound beter with an individual treatment instead of the generic settings I come up with for 'on the fly'. I was wondering if anyone still tried this method for on the fly sq or qs decoding as the dtsac3 forum did experiment with Plogue a while back. It would be very convenient to have a way to decode vinyl this way for casual playback. For conversions I'll wait for the final process to be published via Richard. Their process for using plogue to convert QS is still published on their site. I'll read up on that and see If I can't come up with something that will work ok with SQ. It seems SPEC might be helpful as its an interesting tool compared to the plugins that they used in the past for this.
    There's an SQ equivalent to the QS method available on that site. Don't know if it's up there. I haven't been involved with those methods in over three years. My thoughts in 2012 are that I've never attempted to hear what those methods sound like compared to the transfers many of our friends on here have come up with. Out of necessity, we worked with some VSTs back then that were extremely damaging to the music itself in order to achieve separation. It was the best we could do back then.

You can certainly use the "on the fly" approach described on SBU for any Plogue layout. It's not specifically wired for SPEC.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: This is a good discussion but why isn't this thread in "Surround Sound Tech Talk"?

Justin

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phydo View Post
    Question: This is a good discussion but why isn't this thread in "Surround Sound Tech Talk"?

Justin
    Honestly, the answer to the tangent probably ends with this link. Any other questions as to "on the fly" should just be posted on SBU, not on "Tech Talk" here.

http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=276

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123