Using Plogue Bidule and SPEC 4.0/4.21

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plogue seems pretty decent to me, but what do I know? :D

I particularily like how it's laid out - you can much easier see what is going on in your workflow - what happens when and where - I have used a few different DAW programs and none offer this same visualization that Plogue does..

It is amazing how much you can see in various stages.

I would add I'm also grateful for the On/Off switch cause my aging Dell single core gets a good workout when it's on. To it's credit the audio has NEVER glitched....

Zeerround has begun work on some very nice video guides in order to help with the learning curve a bit. The first batch, most dealing with basic Plogue functions, are up on the SBU site, with more to follow.

Check them out, and please send him some thanks. He is working his butt off to give folks stereo-to-surround technology we can all be proud of. :)

to anyone who has looked at the SBU site - wanted to learn how to upmix - but thought it looked too complicated - should watch these videos..

They really are helpful - once you have everything installed properly , doing the stereo to 5.1 step is pretty simple..

Been playing with SPEC again this weekend. It's pretty impressive to play around with.

I just wish there was a RESET button on the control panels for each applet, because I end up sliding the sliders around, then I can never remember where they were before I started sliding them! I simple button on each page the returned the setting to default would be very much appreciated.

How about it, Mr. Zeerround? :D

Been playing with SPEC again this weekend. It's pretty impressive to play around with.

I just wish there was a RESET button on the control panels for each applet, because I end up sliding the sliders around, then I can never remember where they were before I started sliding them! I simple button on each page the returned the setting to default would be very much appreciated.

How about it, Mr. Zeerround? :D

I usually tend to save layouts under different names at different points throughout. If you familiarize yourself with the inner workings of Plogue a bit more, you can also mess around with the "preset" function in order to do some of what you're trying to do. Plogue's an amazingly deep program.

Some of the automation stuff being currently developed is very impressive. I've been able to go back and nail a few albums which I was never impressed with my results before. We're getting better and better.

An update to SPEC was posted today on SBU. This would be version 4.3 of SPEC and version 1.8 of the ZAG automation method, for those interested.

Like the new range of settings control at the song level. This was mentioned in the newsletter that I rec'd today.

Going to get mine. :) Thanks

SPEC is now up to version 4.6. For those interested, it's a very worthy tool worth checking out.

Also, for those so inclined, both Surroundbyus.com and Plogue have fan pages up on Facebook which are very good places to receive updates on new goings on.

SPEC bump for Christmas! :)

Especially for those new members who might not know about this amazing software, which has been improved since this thread was started.

Especially for those new members who might not know about this amazing shareware, which has been improved since this thread was started.

Not shareware, Jon. Donateware, meaning that the user has the option of giving Zeerround some money, if they so desire, but nothing is held back if they don't. People should keep in mind that, while SPEC doesn't cost money, Plogue Bidule does and, while Zee works on being able to develop for other DAW's, that's what we've got.

Thanks for the plug, though. I've been utilizing SPEC since its infancy, and am consistently amazed at how a completely home-grown piece of code can out-perform anything software companies have put out, and it's not even close. :)

Not shareware, Jon. Donateware, meaning that the user has the option of giving Zeerround some money, if they so desire, but nothing is held back if they don't. People should keep in mind that, while SPEC doesn't cost money, Plogue Bidule does and, while Zee works on being able to develop for other DAW's, that's what we've got.

Thanks for the plug, though. I've been utilizing SPEC since its infancy, and am consistently amazed at how a completely home-grown piece of code can out-perform anything software companies have put out, and it's not even close. :)
There is some great stuff being upmixed indeed. I could have been one of the earliest members of SBU. Now, I wish I had, but I didn't have the time then to devote so I didn't join. thanks to DKA and all those who have labored for their love and allowed us all to enjoy for free!

Especially for those new members who might not know about this amazing software, which has been improved since this thread was started.
Thanks, Jon.
Like DKA, I've been involved with SPEC since the beginning. Not as a coder, that's zeerround's talent, but as a tester. It has been a great experience to watch SPEC grow and change into what it is today.

Not shareware, Jon. Donateware, meaning that the user has the option of giving Zeerround some money, if they so desire, but nothing is held back if they don't. :)

DKA,

Thanks. Somehow I missed the donation aspect of SPEC. This software is truly worthy of donations. I encourage all QQ members who love to use their PCs with surround audio files and DTS/DVD-A, etc, to check out SPEC and discover how great it really is.

BTW - I "stickied" this thread, so more people can find it in the future!

Can someone tell me what 'PorFiN' means? I see lots of upmixes out there with this prefix. (I presume it's something to do with Plogue...)

Can someone tell me what 'PorFiN' means? I see lots of upmixes out there with this prefix. (I presume it's something to do with Plogue...)

Nickname of the person creating the mix. That's all. He's very good for someone who's been doing mixes for, maybe, two years or so.

"Por fin" translates into spanish as "at last."

To me it's a Good Housekeeping seal! I know it's going to be great. DKA, porFin and Holland 123 releases are what I check out first. If I missed anybody, I love you too.

So can these tools be used to decode sq or qs on the fly? Seems I remember that another forum, not suroundbyus had some techniques that used plogue to do this, maybe spec is better?

So can these tools be used to decode sq or qs on the fly? Seems I remember that another forum, not suroundbyus had some techniques that used plogue to do this, maybe spec is better?

Not specfically. No. None of this was developed with the replication or decoding of quad in mind.

Zeerround has dabbled in it, including some stuff which would have pissed off the die-hards here for sure (if you're not pissing someone off, you're not workig hard enough :) ) and I've been interested at times in developing a SPEC for quad decoding, if only to bridge worlds a bit, but he's yet to come up with something that matches, say, Richard's scripts, in quality. There's a LOT in development right now, but nothing that goes in that direction. I'd say the work done with those scripts is the best you can find.

Back