Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc

Does Capitol also have Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here quad mix?

900 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocialOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc

Hendrix- Crash Landing (Warners Reprise) was supposedly mixed for quad but it will never get rereleased under any circumstances. Could Rhino make a deal with Experience Hendrix to release a quad version of Electric Ladyland....I know I know not an original quad release....
    There are so many dream projects the list would never end.

Level
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob,

I would also like to throw my vote in for the Pink Floyd quads. The Dark Side of the Moon discrete quad mix is preferred by many over the SACD 5.1 mix. Alan Parsons mixed that quad just right. As for AHM, the title song is just again perfectly mixed on the UK discrete quad 8. The rest of the tracks could stand to be remixed discretely from the original multi-track tapes.

A_L

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    QQ Counsel
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob,
    The original Pink Floyd Quadraphonic Mixes would be great big seller's and should be released "as is" IMHO. "Wish You Were Here" was another great Quad Mix released by them.

There is reportedly an unreleased Quadraphonic Mix of "Animals" that was supposed to come out on Q8 and SQ Record and was even given catalog numbers and release dates. Because "Animals" came out near the end of the Quad era (January 1977), that must have been the reason it did not get released in Quadraphonic. Nevertheless, I did hear a Quadraphonic mix of Animals "Live" on their tour in Oakland, California in 1977 (as have many other QQ members). Also, a Quad mix of "Meddle" was reportedly played for the press at one time by the band, so that mix (as well as others) might exist by Pink Floyd.

Those are some of the "Holy Grail" Quad mixes of all time along with The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" supposedly mixed by Glyn Johns in 1973 and the solo Beatles Quads. There are actually a lot of "Holy Grail" Quadraphonic recordings that need to be released!

Jim
    Quadraphonic.info - Free Manuals, Articles and more.

Carnival of Stars - World Dance & Art Convention. August 2 & 3, 2014. Richmond, California

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star winopener's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tlake6659 View Post
    Does Capitol also have Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here quad mix?
    NOW it could have the right about it, since NOW all the PF catalog is licensed to Capitol in USA. But the real quad master tape should be in the Columbia vaults. Since all the rumours about a SACD release has been... well. It's a dream, but we can dream, can't we?

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tlake6659 View Post
    For this title:

Miller, Steve – Fly Like An Eagle (Quad 8 track + DD DVD on the 30th anniv. edition)

The DTS-CD is the quad mix, but the DD DVD is a brand new 5.1 mix on the 30th anniv. edition.
    Thanks, seems i unwillingly deleted that part from the message.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the searches through the vaults will confirm some of these rumors of existing unreleased quad mixes.

I'm sure there's a bunch on this list many of us would love to hear someday, http://members.cox.net/surround/quaddisc/quadnot.htm

800 Club - QQ All Star DennisMabry's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Jethro Tull – Minstrel In The Gallery, gets my vote!

It's my favorite JT album.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Q-Eight's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd still love to hear Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling in Quad. That one too was vaporware. There's endless possibilities to be considered. Already we're seeing things listed that we weren't even aware of. That to me is very exciting. What about "Gord's Gold" by Gordon Lightfoot? I really hope that the sales are strong enough that they warrant a continuation of the series. Maybe other labels will take notice and allow access to their vaults. This really could be "the next big thing" that the music industry is waiting for.
    The voices in my head come from Right Rear only!

at your sevice ma'am kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob, I know that you can check everybody's posts and mine are no exception.
    I was not a lover of the CTA release.
    First I think it sounds very flat, but then I read that you had to tweak and add "air" and some bass here and there, so that way, my criticismism is not valid because I have no point of reference on how it actually sounded from the baked tapes.
    The other thing is the "lazy" visual display.; a logo and titles are OK, but this is a CLASSIC recording and I personally would have included a lyrics slideshow and maybe a couple of photos as background for the instrumentals...
    I say this because , as a converter, I have found that a Lyrics slideshow is a MUST (a great example of a commercial DVDA: Crowded House S/T DVD-A)
    Were you in charge of adding or not adding these to the release? Did you get a big "no-no" from above regarding this extra stuff?
    Cheers,
    Al
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

The "lyrics slideshow" raised a question on me and i've checked the data on the CTA disc.
    Total size is 2.8Gb
    Ac3 4.0 stream is 251Mb
    DTS 4.0 stream is 850Mb.
    Some Mb devoted to the menu (20?)
    All the rest is video.
    If the authoring was done in a different way (stills instead of movies) there was enough room to do a MLP 4.0 track on a single-layer disc, along with dts and ac3.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thnks Bob for the whole information about the Capitol vaults.

One thing i forgot yesterday when checking your list, that includes also the old UA titles, is this:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...at+You+Get.htm

That should be in the "quad" vaults, since it had a quad release (double quad 8 track) and now it is in EMI hands. A very smokin' live album by itself and a quite involving quad mix.

The two Shirley Bassey releases that had a quad version (Never never never; Carnegie Hall) now seems licensed to other labels (BGO and DRG).

900 Club - QQ All Star Ge Someone's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, everybody gets excited about their dreamlists obviously.
    I love the Chicago release, so I hope for a (future) list of available and licensable (on reasonable terms) for quad release. Blu-Ray-only would lose me as a customer (check if DVD/BD combo can be done at this price point). The visuals don't matter much.
    Next to consider is that the better quad mixes are preferred above lackluster ones (there might be a reason some mixes were not released ).
    Quad releases that were only released on "inferior" media (like Q8) or matrixed (SQ,QS) would be of higher interest than those of which Q4 reels were released (pretty good digital conversions do exist).
    And of course the unreleased quads make a lot of us curious.

Let's see how far we can take this

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was more than pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the CTA disc. I'm anxiously awaiting more. Any Zappa would be great, especially the unreleased One Size Fits All. Close to the Edge would be great, as would any Pink Floyd, but especially Wish You Were Here and Animals. More wishlist items: Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Captain Beefheart (I know this is a longshot!) ELP and Jethro Tull. Keep 'em coming!

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kap'n krunch View Post
    Bob, I know that you can check everybody's posts and mine are no exception.
    I was not a lover of the CTA release.
    First I think it sounds very flat, but then I read that you had to tweak and add "air" and some bass here and there, so that way, my criticismism is not valid because I have no point of reference on how it actually sounded from the baked tapes.
    The other thing is the "lazy" visual display.; a logo and titles are OK, but this is a CLASSIC recording and I personally would have included a lyrics slideshow and maybe a couple of photos as background for the instrumentals...
    I say this because , as a converter, I have found that a Lyrics slideshow is a MUST (a great example of a commercial DVDA: Crowded House S/T DVD-A)
    Were you in charge of adding or not adding these to the release? Did you get a big "no-no" from above regarding this extra stuff?
    Cheers,
    Al
    Al,
    Glad to hear you're also a fan of the Crowded House DVD-A which I also mastered.
    I'm not involved in the video content of these disc's.

Best,

Bob

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    The next series (if it happens) will most likely be Blu-Ray... so there you go....
    I like the CTA disc, but if the rest of the series is going to be Blu-ray, then I'm out. Nothing against Blu-Ray, it's just that I have no reason to purchase another player at this time (I already have 2 Universal players that play all formats except Blu-Ray.) So count me in the camp that would have preferred to have DVD-A on this and future discs. (btw: I like the Crowded House DVD-A. Wish the rest of the albums had been mixed and released as MCH)

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

I never heard the entire albums by Crowded House, only the hit singles, but I did purchase this disc (DualDisc version) a couple of years back and liked what I heard.
    Now, I'm a huge Fan of Split Enz (have their box set) and would love to see this band's catalog get surround treatment.

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Bob!
    I live the Chicago DTS disc.
    But offering multi-channel Blue-Ray.... WOW!!!nnel
    Would love something that hasn't been released yet on digital format.

Thanks so much from us audiophile quad guys.
    Joe Lee

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star rusinurbe's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you're also a fan of the Crowded House DVD-A which I also mastered.
    Crowded House very nice disc. thumbs up on that one
    Cheers Fletch

Level
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll take new surround in any format, I can play them all, just keep them coming!

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    QQ Counsel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odys View Post
    I'll take new surround in any format, I can play them all, just keep them coming!
    Exactlly. I'll take them in any format. Thanks again Bob for the PERFECT mastering of the CTA disc!
    Well done.
    Quadraphonic.info - Free Manuals, Articles and more.

Carnival of Stars - World Dance & Art Convention. August 2 & 3, 2014. Richmond, California

Quadzo
    Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, releasing unreleased quad mixes of any band is infinitely better than re-releasing any recordings already released in surround on any format, even as crappy as a Dolby Surround encoded CD. But then again, re-releasing stuff already available in quad is infinitely better than releasing nothing at all!

The Paul McCartney quads, as great as they are, would be a complete waste of a reissue. They already have DTS CDs. Bring on Close To The Edge!
    "...there is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new."

Furry Four-Eared Freak Bob Squires Jr's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, welcome Bob! Glad to have you here!
    Excellent job on the CTA disc. I've been a big fan of Chicago for years.
    Now I have 3 of their albums done to DVD!

If things were to get released as you say... I'd have 3 words for you...

"I'll Be Broke"!!!

Recordings I'd like to see:
    Yes - Close To The Edge (and the Yes Album!)
    ELP's Trilogy and Welcome Back My Friends.
    Jethro Tull's Aqualung, War Child & MU
    Any Led Zeppelin
    Any Eagles
    The first 3 Queen albums
    Some Paul Revere and the Raiders,
    Blue Oyster Cult, Mott The Hoople and stuff like that.
    (Oh, and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here)

I'm not asking much am I??
    As I said, I'd be broke!

I'm glad Rhino has seen their way to trying again with CTA and we all hope that they will see clear to continuing on.
    DVD or Blu... I'd buy either or but I'd hope they'd stay with DVD for now.
    All the best!

-Bob
    Music is the universal language.
    Someday we'll all sing together.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlarJotunn View Post
    IMO, releasing unreleased quad mixes of any band is infinitely better than re-releasing any recordings already released in surround on any format, even as crappy as a Dolby Surround encoded CD. But then again, re-releasing stuff already available in quad is infinitely better than releasing nothing at all!
    The Paul McCartney quads, as great as they are, would be a complete waste of a reissue. They already have DTS CDs. Bring on Close To The Edge!
    Very Important Point. Better dust off first the "unreleased" ones, in order to re-create a market. As much as i love the USA quad mix of "Machine Head" at present time it would be worthless since there has been two different official release of it, sacd=uk quad mix, dvda=new 5.1 remix. Ok, maybe "worthless" is too strong, but for sure a quad Trilogy or Close to the edge would raise many more hands and get out many more bucks, that is what Rhino and others are waiting for.

Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Bob! Thanks to you and Rhino for starting this excellent releasing project. I hope our dreams will come true.
    I'd like to have Pink Floyd WYWH (this year is the 35th anniversary) and also the rest of the PF quads. What a great catalogue would be! Anyway, I would buy any titles in any format. I'd prefer lossless.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast