Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Forum Musician
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc

Yes, by all means, please do so. Ask who is willing to consider the list of all the surround titles we want to buy.
    Timbre4
    Moderator, Musician, Foole
    Daddeo 2014 Selected Songs link:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=122027&t=3401

700 Club - QQ All Star jaybird100's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc

Hmmmm, no activity here in nearly a year. It's obvious that Rhino has decided to discontinue the Quadio series. I wonder if they might have stimulated more sales had they advertised in publications such as Sound & Vision, and others that cater to the audio/video enthusiast. I have both the CTA and Aretha discs, both of which are superb, and I wish they would have continued the project to include other great quad mixed in the WMG coffers. (I doubt they could cross-license titles from other labels, which would have been good as well if it could have been pulled off.) I have heard some BD-A releases, and as good as they are, I also doubt the major labels will consider going this route after having been burned with SACD and DVD-A. I think it's going to take some kind of specialty company to attempt to license and release quad recordings from all the major labels. Will it happen? Doubtful.
    Give me surround or give me silence!

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly enough, actually some of the majors did go for the quad releases-
    EMI has released ELO-ELO quad (in 4.1, god knows why the .1), and also 2 gentle giant (free hand and interview), which is quite surprising and promising.
    The format is lossy DTS, but I believe that in the future if there will still be demand for such recordings enough for the majors to do it, then Blu ray will be the format of choice.
    Also, offtopic, but I just found out the first 2 ELP albums were mixed 5.1 by Steven Wilson- together with Thick as a brick which is waiting for the anniversary release, and the Crimsons that are in the pipe (especially Larks tongues), this year will be a good one for surround releases...

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to Rhino, in particular, being the vehicle for the releases. But the examples you cite here are so few and far between, it's not like they're out to fill the void we all want filled so badly. I haven't seen the ELO release anywhere, so I'd certainly like to find out where it can be had.

Quad Goddess & Moderator Quad Linda's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bob reads this thread, could he please answer: Last year, Rhino's parent, WEA, promised a great surround announcement. 2012 is 1/4 over, and we've heard nothing. Are there forthcoming releases or an announcement?

BTW: I also own CTA and Aretha. They're great, although I was profoundly disappointed to see a DVD-A logo on CTA, but no DVD-A information, only lossy DTS.
    KWAD KITTY

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quad Linda View Post
    If Bob reads this thread, could he please answer: Last year, Rhino's parent, WEA, promised a great surround announcement. 2012 is 1/4 over, and we've heard nothing. Are there forthcoming releases or an announcement?

BTW: I also own CTA and Aretha. They're great, although I was profoundly disappointed to see a DVD-A logo on CTA, but no DVD-A information, only lossy DTS.
    Linda - just after the Aretha release last year, most of the folks at Rhino lost their gig as Warner was paring down the troops in anticipation of a possible merger with EMI (which of course - didn't happen). The Quadio program is kaput and Rhino is basically a shell of it's former self - it is most probable that Bob Vosgien has moved on (hopefully to greener pastures).

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post
    Linda - just after the Aretha release last year, most of the folks at Rhino lost their gig as Warner was paring down the troops in anticipation of a possible merger with EMI (which of course - didn't happen). The Quadio program is kaput and Rhino is basically a shell of it's former self - it is most probable that Bob Vosgien has moved on (hopefully to greener pastures).
    Didn't EMI end up merging with UMG? I doubt we'll ever see any more surround material from them.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

There are now 3 record companies. In my mind, it's really 2. Yes, UMG bought EMI's recordings. Sony bought EMI's publishing. WEA was/is owned by a member of the Bronfman family. The Bronfmans own UMG. Although WEA and UMG are different companies, to me they might as well be the same. That's why in my mind, there's 2. If WEA merges with UMG, all they need to do is buy Sony/BMG music. Then, there will be 1. Can you say monopoly? I knew you could.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird100 View Post
    Didn't EMI end up merging with UMG? I doubt we'll ever see any more surround material from them.
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

There are now 3 record companies. In my mind, it's really 2. Yes, UMG bought EMI's recordings. Sony bought EMI's publishing. WEA was/is owned by a member of the Bronfman family. The Bronfmans own UMG. Although WEA and UMG are different companies, to me they might as well be the same. That's why in my mind, there's 2. If WEA merges with UMG, all they need to do is buy Sony/BMG music. Then, there will be 1. Can you say monopoly? I knew you could.
    Yeah...kinda sucks, doesn't it?

600 Club - QQ All Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to Rhino, in particular, being the vehicle for the releases. But the examples you cite here are so few and far between, it's not like they're out to fill the void we all want filled so badly. I haven't seen the ELO release anywhere, so I'd certainly like to find out where it can be had.
    We're off topic here, but I bought the E.L.O. for slightly less than $17 shipped from ImportCDs.
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr. simple View Post
    We're off topic here, but I bought the E.L.O. for slightly less than $17 shipped from ImportCDs.
    I just searched Import CD's for that title, and apparently it's not in stock. I think I can find another source. How is the ELO?

600 Club - QQ All Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just searched Import CD's for that title, and apparently it's not in stock. I think I can find another source. How is the ELO?
    It's true, it's not, but I'm in no hurry and they came through for me with Jethro Tull & Rush. I was wrong before - my shipped cost is $15.98 US.
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Q-Eight's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a downer to go through and read this thread start to finish. I think I need some Xanex. *sigh*
    The voices in my head come from Right Rear only!

14. Likes JonUrban liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Eight View Post
    What a downer to go through and read this thread start to finish. I think I need some Xanex. *sigh*
    Aw, come on. It's not that bad. Despite feeling abandoned by yet another record company, I expect someone will, at some point, fill the void. And QQ is where we'll find out who that is. So have a nice, cold Molson instead of the Xanax, and fire up some great surround music. You may not feel better, but you also may not care!

at your sevice ma'am kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that (WE the God fearing citizens of Rock Ridge..oops, wrong speech) us members in this QQ Forum are the most optimistic in the world, since , time after time, we are constantly let down by any company that releases any MCH stuff...so kudos to Mr. Fripp and Mr. Wilson for keeping the torch (barely) alive and lit...
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Jaybird, with all due respect, Q-Eight is right. It IS that bad! On many levels, I'm an optimist and have used that attitude to move a few mountains. I've also facilitated many motivational seminars. Yet, I'm a realist and will often lament the state of the record industry. A few minutes ago, I posted my latest diatribe on the "What's the latest SACD/DVD-A thread." It whines about all the previously released surround/Quad titles available as 2ch SACD's.

The lower the record company(s)' profits, the more creative, mercenary and even usurious they become in their quest to be profitable. And it's at the expense suckers like me who seem to buy everything. I truly wish there were more reasons to be optimistic. IMHO

Xanax isn't the answer. Perhaps a Pilsener Urquell, Hacker-Pschorr Weiss, or a fresh, well-poured Guinness are the best solutions. And, yes, crank up a great discrete Quad or 5.1 mix. How fortunate those of us a certain age are/were to have access to all those KILLER surround mixes as new releases!

Aw, come on. It's not that bad. Despite feeling abandoned by yet another record company, I expect someone will, at some point, fill the void. And QQ is where we'll find out who that is. So have a nice, cold Molson instead of the Xanax, and fire up some great surround music. You may not feel better, but you also may not care!
    KWAD KITTY

Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kap'n krunch View Post
    My guess is that (WE the God fearing citizens of Rock Ridge..oops, wrong speech)
    Love the Blazing Saddles reference! Took me right out of the humdrum work environs for a few seconds!

Howard Johnson is right!

19. Likes kap'n krunch liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 0tto's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm not really much cares about Quadio venture and how it's ended up and sure,
    someday someone will fill the void. what makes me upset, is that mr. Bob Vosgien
    disappeared from community as soon as disappeared Quadio. that's sad.
    we definately have here lack of people who's involved in industry of sound recording.
    would be very helpful to have knowledge about industry stance and perspectives.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Linda, if you have a nice, cold beer for me, I'll grab a stack of multichannel SACD's and DVD-A's and I'll be there in just a few minutes. Oh, wait. You're in Chicago, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. Might take me a bit longer.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to grab that stack of discs, likely I have them all anyway. I have several LP's that I imported from Pembroke Pines. It's warmer in Chicago today than Florida. 80's in March!!

Linda, if you have a nice, cold beer for me, I'll grab a stack of multichannel SACD's and DVD-A's and I'll be there in just a few minutes. Oh, wait. You're in Chicago, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. Might take me a bit longer.
    KWAD KITTY

formerly "quadwreck" too
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I presume Mr Vosgien has had nothing to say because the Quadio project was quashed by Warner and he is no longer working on any such projects for them (he's actually an employee at Capitol). Warner is willing to license tapes to any third-party label that wants to release them.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to grab that stack of discs, likely I have them all anyway. I have several LP's that I imported from Pembroke Pines. It's warmer in Chicago today than Florida. 80's in March!!
    Funny you should mention Pembroke Pines, since that's precisely where I live. It's been in the 80's here, too. Strange winter we've had, both there and here. Hope that vinyl is all in quad. I still have a large bookcase full of quad vinyl, and even have put a good bit of it on my iPod.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadwreck View Post
    I presume Mr Vosgien has had nothing to say because the Quadio project was quashed by Warner and he is no longer working on any such projects for them (he's actually an employee at Capitol). Warner is willing to license tapes to any third-party label that wants to release them.
    And since EMI is now a part of UMG, he could be working on a similar project for them. But I kinda doubt it.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 200 Q8's, 600 SACD's, over 100 DVD-A's, and about 500 Quad LP's. I've been a hard core collector for over 50 years. My only regret is that I don't have EVERYTHING! lol!! 87 degrees yesterday in Chicago. We've been smashing records for over a week. I've been cruising with the top down and spinning DVD-A's.

Strange days, indeed. Most peculiar, mama.

Funny you should mention Pembroke Pines, since that's precisely where I live. It's been in the 80's here, too. Strange winter we've had, both there and here. Hope that vinyl is all in quad. I still have a large bookcase full of quad vinyl, and even have put a good bit of it on my iPod.
    KWAD KITTY

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star LizardKing's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should mention Pembroke Pines, since that's precisely where I live. ......
    Small world.... I used to live up the road in Plantation, FL!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast