Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Chicago release is being made available to stores, at least one here in Portland, price $33.00.

ArnoldLayne,

Please remember that Rhino Handmade releases are SMALLER releases sold directly by Rhino and NOT available in stores as the King Crimson releases are, so it's not a fair comparison.

Timbre4

I think Rhino might actually be making them smaller by their price, format and distribution policies. CTA is actually one of the more expensive albums and movies I ever bought, if not the most expensive. This narrows down the sales potential to collectors and a few altruist surroundheads like us. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I think there are many more people out there that would like this stuff.

I think Rhino might actually be making them smaller by their price, format and distribution policies. CTA is actually one of the more expensive albums and movies I ever bought, if not the most expensive. This narrows down the sales potential to collectors and a few altruist surroundheads like us. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I think there are many more people out there that would like this stuff.

Everyone should realize that, regarding price, this record was originally a double lp worth of songs.
So, take this into consideration when justifying the cost.;)

Bob,
Welcome, welcome & welcome!

Sorry I am slow to this posting but we had two deaths in the family over a 3 week period and we were very busy to say the least.

Your work on CTA is fantastic and greatly appreciated. This news about future releases is a breath of fresh air to this community as things were slowing down to a point that if a "Spoken Word" release was marked surround sound, we would have bought it!

As stated by many before me, we will buy what is offered. I have no wish list, just crank them out and I will write the check.:smokin

THANK YOU

That these Rhino Handmade CTA DTS DVDs should be available in a store seems like an anomaly. The only time I ever see Handmade titles in a store they are labelled OOP and marked way up. Somebody believes in this enough to have somehow ordered some and marked them up mildly?

Have made an inquiry, will report what I hear.

That these Rhino Handmade CTA DTS DVDs should be available in a store seems like an anomaly

Maybe the store owned bought a bunch directly from Rhino, marked them up $3 to cover the shipping (selling them basically at cost as a service to his customers), and put them on the shelf.
Maybe the store is a big proponent of surround sound.
Maybe the owner of the store is a big proponent of surround sound.
Maybe he's a member here, and there.
Maybe that explains it.

:brew

Maybe the store owned bought a bunch directly from Rhino, marked them up $3 to cover the shipping (selling them basically at cost as a service to his customers), and put them on the shelf.
Maybe the store is a big proponent of surround sound.
Maybe the owner of the store is a big proponent of surround sound.
Maybe he's a member here, and there.
Maybe that explains it.

:brew

Could be!

My copy just arrived and the first songs are pouring out of my speakers right now. I'm already astonished by the sound quality, dynamics and detail are very good. There's still some of the "muddiness" I always percieve for the DTS format but no worse than vinyl so it's OK. Package has at first glance an air of "low-budget", I was expecting a box with book and all that. But it saves bookshelf space and I suppose for those of you that were around back then it brings about some nostalgy, right? All in all, this is a very happy moment. I'm absolutely glad to have this one in my collection, despite having to hide the invloice so that Mrs. Layne shall not know... I will have to retract my words about not getting the whole series, if they all come out this well I won't be able tor resist the temptation. A big kudos Bob, I truly hope you get the chance to continue your fine work and get your hands on those other master tapes.

Bob,

Is there any idea when Rhino will have enough sales data to make the decision what the next move is on the DTS DVD front?

Thanks, Tim

I just finished the next Quadio title...
But I can't say which one.
All I can say is it was pretty awesome.:smokin

Please be a non-DVD-A title [not already released on DVD-A]

Can't wait to order

Really good to hear, Bob. I hope our membership did their part to support the first disc. I know we'll be lining up for the next one.

Let's spread the news around the internet about this great effort by Rhino.

An "official" hint like the last one would be fun, and might stir up some more chatter = business...

Back