Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaybird, with all due respect, Q-Eight is right. It IS that bad! On many levels, I'm an optimist and have used that attitude to move a few mountains. I've also facilitated many motivational seminars. Yet, I'm a realist and will often lament the state of the record industry. A few minutes ago, I posted my latest diatribe on the "What's the latest SACD/DVD-A thread." It whines about all the previously released surround/Quad titles available as 2ch SACD's.

The lower the record company(s)' profits, the more creative, mercenary and even usurious they become in their quest to be profitable. And it's at the expense suckers like me who seem to buy everything. I truly wish there were more reasons to be optimistic. IMHO

Xanax isn't the answer. Perhaps a Pilsener Urquell, Hacker-Pschorr Weiss, or a fresh, well-poured Guinness are the best solutions. And, yes, crank up a great discrete Quad or 5.1 mix. How fortunate those of us a certain age are/were to have access to all those KILLER surround mixes as new releases!

Aw, come on. It's not that bad. Despite feeling abandoned by yet another record company, I expect someone will, at some point, fill the void. And QQ is where we'll find out who that is. So have a nice, cold Molson instead of the Xanax, and fire up some great surround music. You may not feel better, but you also may not care!

i'm not really much cares about Quadio venture and how it's ended up and sure,
someday someone will fill the void. what makes me upset, is that mr. Bob Vosgien
disappeared from community as soon as disappeared Quadio. that's sad.
we definately have here lack of people who's involved in industry of sound recording.
would be very helpful to have knowledge about industry stance and perspectives.

Linda, if you have a nice, cold beer for me, I'll grab a stack of multichannel SACD's and DVD-A's and I'll be there in just a few minutes. Oh, wait. You're in Chicago, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. Might take me a bit longer.:D

No need to grab that stack of discs, likely I have them all anyway. I have several LP's that I imported from Pembroke Pines. It's warmer in Chicago today than Florida. 80's in March!! :banana:

Linda, if you have a nice, cold beer for me, I'll grab a stack of multichannel SACD's and DVD-A's and I'll be there in just a few minutes. Oh, wait. You're in Chicago, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. Might take me a bit longer.:D

I presume Mr Vosgien has had nothing to say because the Quadio project was quashed by Warner and he is no longer working on any such projects for them (he's actually an employee at Capitol). Warner is willing to license tapes to any third-party label that wants to release them.

No need to grab that stack of discs, likely I have them all anyway. I have several LP's that I imported from Pembroke Pines. It's warmer in Chicago today than Florida. 80's in March!! :banana:

Funny you should mention Pembroke Pines, since that's precisely where I live. It's been in the 80's here, too. Strange winter we've had, both there and here. Hope that vinyl is all in quad. I still have a large bookcase full of quad vinyl, and even have put a good bit of it on my iPod.

I presume Mr Vosgien has had nothing to say because the Quadio project was quashed by Warner and he is no longer working on any such projects for them (he's actually an employee at Capitol). Warner is willing to license tapes to any third-party label that wants to release them.

And since EMI is now a part of UMG, he could be working on a similar project for them. But I kinda doubt it.

I have 200 Q8's, 600 SACD's, over 100 DVD-A's, and about 500 Quad LP's. I've been a hard core collector for over 50 years. My only regret is that I don't have EVERYTHING! lol!! 87 degrees yesterday in Chicago. We've been smashing records for over a week. I've been cruising with the top down and spinning DVD-A's.

Strange days, indeed. Most peculiar, mama.

Funny you should mention Pembroke Pines, since that's precisely where I live. It's been in the 80's here, too. Strange winter we've had, both there and here. Hope that vinyl is all in quad. I still have a large bookcase full of quad vinyl, and even have put a good bit of it on my iPod.

I have 200 Q8's, 600 SACD's, over 100 DVD-A's, and about 500 Quad LP's. I've been a hard core collector for over 50 years. My only regret is that I don't have EVERYTHING! lol!! 87 degrees yesterday in Chicago. We've been smashing records for over a week. I've been cruising with the top down and spinning DVD-A's.

Strange days, indeed. Most peculiar, mama.

I never really got into the Q8's, but your collection of quad LP's and DVD-A's is about equal to mine. You blow me away on SACD's, though. I think I'm at about 80, but I got into those a bit later than the DVD-A's. I still try to find more, and if I run into any in a bargain bin, I grab 'em up.

You have a SUPER Quad collection, Jaybird. You must have spent $$$.

I hated Q8's when I got into them. For more of my thoughts on Q8, see post #3 on the Quad 8 frustration thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?15662-Quad-8-Frustration&p=143047#post143047
Still, there were hundreds of titles that were only available on Q8. Those blue A&M's and gold Columbia sleeves with the grey cartridges were pretty. The original gold foil Columbia sleeves looked way better than the matte gold/green they switched to almost immediately. GRT's looked like the mung that they were, with reversed channels and other anomalies. For nostalgia reasons alone, I refuse to get rid of my Q8's and decks. It's my least favorite surround format.

I LOVE the modern digital formats. They're everything that Quad wasn't technically. And everything autoswitches, instead of manually selecting on old Quad gear. Sad the industry once again KILLED a fledgeling part of itself through their greed and format wars. My SACD collection: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7517/1 SACD is very much alive as an audiophile format. Sadly, most releases are now 2ch.

Too bad the American record companies saw fit to abandon the SACD format. I think there are some small dribbles once in a while, but it irks me that Columbia, the leg of Sony that it is, has totally ceased production of SACD, regardless of whether it's multichannel or stereo. They messed up by not making their initial releases hybrid discs; instead, they opted to go single layer. They also never properly promoted the format for mobile application, and didn't offer a car player until late in the game. Discrete surround sounds amazing in a car environment, and it could have been big. DVD-Audio's biggest advantage was that most homes have a DVD player, and many are connected to a surround system. So even if you're not hearing the full hi-rez sound, you still have surround. Many cars have DVD players, either factory or aftermarket, that can play these discs in 5.1 or 4.1. There are a few releases in BD-A, but given the failures of the two formats that should have succeeded, I doubt there's much of a future for a new format. I hate to sound like a pessimist here, but I have to be real here.

History doesn't bode well for surround music formats. Sony may have done us a favor by bailing on SACD. Blu-Ray-A may have a better chance, having no competing format. And, it's lossless. Yes I'm a huge SACD fan. I think Sony's rationale with single-layer discs was to force you to buy an SACD player. Otherwise, people would say. "I tried SACD and it doesn't sound any better." Of course it doesn't, if you only play the CD layer. Sony did promise their audio/video dealers compatibility. With all their hot titles being single layer, that was just more smoke. :smokin

History doesn't bode well for surround music formats. Sony may have done us a favor by bailing on SACD. Blu-Ray-A may have a better chance, having no competing format. And, it's lossless. Yes I'm a huge SACD fan. I think Sony's rationale with single-layer discs was to force you to buy an SACD player. Otherwise, people would say. "I tried SACD and it doesn't sound any better." Of course it doesn't, if you only play the CD layer. Sony did promise their audio/video dealers compatibility. With all their hot titles being single layer, that was just more smoke. :smokin

I can't help but think the future is just as bleak. I would hope the industry would embrace the BD-A format with open players, but the keys here are 1) getting the record companies to back surround sound again when they've been burned by it so badly in the past, and 2) getting the public to accept a new format again. The lossless aspect is certainly an attractive feature, but will the average consumer appreciate, or even hear, the difference? And will the format be priced so that most consumers won't want to spend the extra bucks for the upgrade? If they can't tell the difference, I doubt they will. Surround sound notwithstanding, the improvement in fidelity won't be recognized by most. They're so used to MP3 or AAC+ downloads that they're apathetic to hi-rez formats.

Oh, I agree. Something that actually plays on the same player you play your movies on is just, by default, better. I didn't have a working DVD-A player or SACD hookup until last year, and I consider myself a surround fan. That's saying something.

I personally am more of a DVD-A fan rather than SACD.I'm grateful of SACDs though, cause we wouldn't have gotten a lot of releases otherwise. I even prefer DTS 96/24 to SACD.

I'm still resisting the urge to get a BluRay player...if (or when) I do, it's going to be for Audio mostly...i.e. , if they start releasing audio on BD: because , as I have mentioned , I am not convinced by the image "quality" of it...

Back