Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Bob:
I won't buy the Chicago disc, simply because I'm not a big fan of Chicago. I won't buy the Doobies either, I have most of their better albums in CD-4. And my CD-4 system is sounding better than it ever did. What I will buy are recordings that have never been released in quad or multichannel. I would love to hear these in surround:

Alice Cooper: Love it to Death, Killer, School's Out.
Anything early Black Oak Arkansas.
Deep Purple: Fireball, Who do we think we are.

That's what comes to mind immediately. What labels do you have access to? Anyway, we are very appreciative of your efforts to promote surround music. I always wondered why the record companies just didn't assign just one employee to producing surround recordings to serve this niche. There he would be in the corner of the factory, churning out snall batches of product. I know there's not big money in it, but surely there's small money in it, enough to support that employee? I am willing to accept DTS surround CDs if that's all I can get. But Blue Ray will do a great job, and we don't need a special audio format for blue ray, like DVD Audio, We just need the music put down on the disc with just a background, or a photo gallery. If there is a music video, it could be shown also. Anyway, I wish you complete success with your efforts, because your surround success is our pleasure. Good Luck!
The Quadfather

I think the Chicago "Quadio" disc is out of print at this point. So no way to get that - unless it's from a collector on eBay or something similar. Too bad - while I'm not a big Chicago fan, the Chicago Quadio is excellent !

Umm, you do realize that Mr. Vosgien has not responded to this thread since May of 2010. QQ is not feeling the love!

yes and in another thread the most recent post is around december 17 last year.....not exactly holding my breath especially since the Aretha disc is still available and is not a sell out like the Chicago disc was,

I think Bob Vosgien and John from Rhino are both working for a Pizza delivery service, hoping no one recognizes them. In view of the length of time since their last posts, its possible neither one works for Rhino anymore.

Hmmmm, no activity here in nearly a year. It's obvious that Rhino has decided to discontinue the Quadio series. I wonder if they might have stimulated more sales had they advertised in publications such as Sound & Vision, and others that cater to the audio/video enthusiast. I have both the CTA and Aretha discs, both of which are superb, and I wish they would have continued the project to include other great quad mixed in the WMG coffers. (I doubt they could cross-license titles from other labels, which would have been good as well if it could have been pulled off.) I have heard some BD-A releases, and as good as they are, I also doubt the major labels will consider going this route after having been burned with SACD and DVD-A. I think it's going to take some kind of specialty company to attempt to license and release quad recordings from all the major labels. Will it happen? Doubtful.

Surprisingly enough, actually some of the majors did go for the quad releases-
EMI has released ELO-ELO quad (in 4.1, god knows why the .1), and also 2 gentle giant (free hand and interview), which is quite surprising and promising.
The format is lossy DTS, but I believe that in the future if there will still be demand for such recordings enough for the majors to do it, then Blu ray will be the format of choice.
Also, offtopic, but I just found out the first 2 ELP albums were mixed 5.1 by Steven Wilson- together with Thick as a brick which is waiting for the anniversary release, and the Crimsons that are in the pipe (especially Larks tongues), this year will be a good one for surround releases...

I was referring to Rhino, in particular, being the vehicle for the releases. But the examples you cite here are so few and far between, it's not like they're out to fill the void we all want filled so badly. I haven't seen the ELO release anywhere, so I'd certainly like to find out where it can be had.

If Bob reads this thread, could he please answer: Last year, Rhino's parent, WEA, promised a great surround announcement. 2012 is 1/4 over, and we've heard nothing. Are there forthcoming releases or an announcement?

BTW: I also own CTA and Aretha. They're great, although I was profoundly disappointed to see a DVD-A logo on CTA, but no DVD-A information, only lossy DTS.

If Bob reads this thread, could he please answer: Last year, Rhino's parent, WEA, promised a great surround announcement. 2012 is 1/4 over, and we've heard nothing. Are there forthcoming releases or an announcement?

BTW: I also own CTA and Aretha. They're great, although I was profoundly disappointed to see a DVD-A logo on CTA, but no DVD-A information, only lossy DTS.

Linda - just after the Aretha release last year, most of the folks at Rhino lost their gig as Warner was paring down the troops in anticipation of a possible merger with EMI (which of course - didn't happen). The Quadio program is kaput and Rhino is basically a shell of it's former self - it is most probable that Bob Vosgien has moved on (hopefully to greener pastures).

Linda - just after the Aretha release last year, most of the folks at Rhino lost their gig as Warner was paring down the troops in anticipation of a possible merger with EMI (which of course - didn't happen). The Quadio program is kaput and Rhino is basically a shell of it's former self - it is most probable that Bob Vosgien has moved on (hopefully to greener pastures).

Didn't EMI end up merging with UMG? I doubt we'll ever see any more surround material from them.

There are now 3 record companies. In my mind, it's really 2. Yes, UMG bought EMI's recordings. Sony bought EMI's publishing. WEA was/is owned by a member of the Bronfman family. The Bronfmans own UMG. Although WEA and UMG are different companies, to me they might as well be the same. That's why in my mind, there's 2. If WEA merges with UMG, all they need to do is buy Sony/BMG music. Then, there will be 1. Can you say monopoly? I knew you could.

Didn't EMI end up merging with UMG? I doubt we'll ever see any more surround material from them.

There are now 3 record companies. In my mind, it's really 2. Yes, UMG bought EMI's recordings. Sony bought EMI's publishing. WEA was/is owned by a member of the Bronfman family. The Bronfmans own UMG. Although WEA and UMG are different companies, to me they might as well be the same. That's why in my mind, there's 2. If WEA merges with UMG, all they need to do is buy Sony/BMG music. Then, there will be 1. Can you say monopoly? I knew you could.

Yeah...kinda sucks, doesn't it?

I was referring to Rhino, in particular, being the vehicle for the releases. But the examples you cite here are so few and far between, it's not like they're out to fill the void we all want filled so badly. I haven't seen the ELO release anywhere, so I'd certainly like to find out where it can be had.

We're off topic here, but I bought the E.L.O. for slightly less than $17 shipped from ImportCDs.

I just searched Import CD's for that title, and apparently it's not in stock. I think I can find another source. How is the ELO?

It's true, it's not, but I'm in no hurry and they came through for me with Jethro Tull & Rush. I was wrong before - my shipped cost is $15.98 US.

What a downer to go through and read this thread start to finish. I think I need some Xanex. *sigh*

Aw, come on. It's not that bad. Despite feeling abandoned by yet another record company, I expect someone will, at some point, fill the void. And QQ is where we'll find out who that is. So have a nice, cold Molson instead of the Xanax, and fire up some great surround music. You may not feel better, but you also may not care!

My guess is that (WE the God fearing citizens of Rock Ridge..oops, wrong speech) us members in this QQ Forum are the most optimistic in the world, since , time after time, we are constantly let down by any company that releases any MCH stuff...so kudos to Mr. Fripp and Mr. Wilson for keeping the torch (barely) alive and lit...

Back