Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, it has arrived, has been played... WOW!
Thanks Bob for this great work! Isn't a bass-shy disc at all, as someone said. Next one? Where's the next one? :)

It has already been noticed the presence of the dvd-audio logo but i don't think i have seen someone noticed, on the inside of the gatefold (last line on the right side) and the OBI the Copyright is 2009.
Probably scheduled for full dvd-a release in 2009, then deleted, then released as dts dvd-v in march 2010?

OK, it has arrived, has been played... WOW!
Thanks Bob for this great work! Isn't a bass-shy disc at all, as someone said. Next one? Where's the next one? :)

It has already been noticed the presence of the dvd-audio logo but i don't think i have seen someone noticed, on the inside of the gatefold (last line on the right side) and the OBI the Copyright is 2009.
Probably scheduled for full dvd-a release in 2009, then deleted, then released as dts dvd-v in march 2010?

No, the DVD-A logo was a typo...

Here's one that would be a true find if you could get it, Bob. And since it was a Capitol "almost" release, maybe you can. The first RINGO solo LP was set to be released on Q8 back in the '70s. Graphics have surfaced (see below), but the title never came out. If you could get that one, that would be news - plus you'd get all of the Beatles fans interested. Have you ever come across the master tapes to this quad non-release?

Still, I'm not sure Capitol/Apple would want the release on Rhino, so,..........nevermind!

Hi Jon,
Depending on how the Rhino stuff does. there's a chance Capitol might release their Quad titles...I have a list of them...

Byrd, Donald – Black Byrd

Byrd, Donald – Street Lady

Fiddler On The Roof – Film Soundtrack

Gentle Giant – Time To Kill (unreleased?)

Jethro Tull – MU Best Of (unreleased)

Jethro Tull – Warchild

Jethro Tull – Minstrel In The Gallery (UK – unreleased)

Jethro Tull – Aqualung (UK)

Lennon, John – Walls And Bridges

Live And Let Die – Film Soundtrack

McCartney, Paul – Band On The Run

McCartney, Paul – Venus And Mars

Miller, Steve – Fly Like An Eagle

Miller, Steve – Live

Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of The Moon

Pink Floyd – Atom Heart Mother (UK)

Ventures, The – Only Hits

Venutres, The – Hawaii Five-O

Womack, Bobby – Looking For Love Again

Womack, Bobby – Facts Of Life

I vote for the VENTURES!:banana:

My vote on the Capitol recordings:
Jethro Tull – MU Best Of
Jethro Tull – Minstrel In The Gallery
Miller, Steve – Fly Like An Eagle

I guess, if we are voting, here are my requests out of the Capitol choices:

Gentle Giant – Time To Kill (unreleased?)
Live And Let Die – Film Soundtrack
McCartney, Paul – Venus And Mars

Nice list, Bob. Intresting to note these old United Artist-related presences (probably the three War quads arent' here because they own the masters and have it licensed to Avenue rec.; why no Shirley Bassey?).
Here's the status of the release regarding these titles:

Byrd, Donald – Black Byrd (Quad 8 track only)

Byrd, Donald – Street Lady (Quad 8 track only)

Fiddler On The Roof – Film Soundtrack (Double Quad 8 track only)

Gentle Giant – Time To Kill (unreleased?) (Really unreleased and afaik never rumored about it)

Jethro Tull – MU Best Of (unreleased) (Really unreleased and IIRC it had a cd4 cat. n. assigned)

Jethro Tull – Warchild (Released on quad reel, cd4, 8 track)

Jethro Tull – Minstrel In The Gallery (UK – unreleased) (same as MU)

Jethro Tull – Aqualung (UK) (Released on quad reel, cd4, 8 track)

Lennon, John – Walls And Bridges (Quad 8 track only)

Live And Let Die – Film Soundtrack (Quad 8 track only)

McCartney, Paul – Band On The Run (Quad 8 track + DTS CD by HDS)

McCartney, Paul – Venus And Mars (Quad 8 track + DTS CD by HDS)

Miller, Steve – Fly Like An Eagle (Quad 8 track + DD DVD on the 30th anniv. edition)

Miller, Steve – Live (Really unreleased and afaik never rumored about it)

Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of The Moon and Pink Floyd – Atom Heart Mother (UK): (there's an encyclopedia to write about it... in short: nuke the Usa quad "master tapes" and get the true UK ones. Long reply: see here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-PFQ.htm )

Ventures, The – Only Hits (Quad 8 track only)

Venutres, The – Hawaii Five-O (Quad 8 track only)

Womack, Bobby – Looking For Love Again (Quad 8 track only)

Womack, Bobby – Facts Of Life (Quad 8 track only)

Chances of a release of the quad mix for DSOTM is next to zero, since PF did remixed it in 5.1 for the sacd release; however, this would be for sure a long seller.:cool:

Shouldn't be there also the quad master for John Lennon "Imagine" and Ringo Starr "Goodnight Vienna"? Both released in USA as Quad 8 track.

I forgot... one vote for MU - the best of Jethro Tull.

Bob, if your eyes have not yet become blurry, I'll keep my list (part one) to that which should be in Warner's vault.

First would be those that are not available, the unreleased-but-known-to exist tapes:
Bread - Best Of, Volume 2
Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery or MU (Ian Anderson can't remember which one from 1975 didn't get released)
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Yes - Close To The Edge, Fragile (the original quad mix, not the 5.1 remix)

Next would be those titles unavailable on quad reel, only on wretched quad 8-track or temperamental CD-4:
Average White Band - AWB
Eagles - On The Border, One Of These Nights
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Welcome Back My Friends, Trilogy
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns, Court And Spark
Carly Simon - Playing Possum, Best Of

Then these Columbia artists who are now with Warner:
Chicago - II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X
Paul Simon - Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years

And another vote for these favorites: Jethro Tull, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath

Jethro Tull – Warchild

<sinp> <Snip>

Pink Floyd – Atom Heart Mother (UK)

Jethro Tull and Pink Floyds AHM, I would be in in an instant AHM my favorite Floyd album !!!

For this title:

Miller, Steve – Fly Like An Eagle (Quad 8 track + DD DVD on the 30th anniv. edition)

The DTS-CD is the quad mix, but the DD DVD is a brand new 5.1 mix on the 30th anniv. edition.

Does Capitol also have Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here quad mix?

Hendrix- Crash Landing (Warners Reprise) was supposedly mixed for quad but it will never get rereleased under any circumstances. Could Rhino make a deal with Experience Hendrix to release a quad version of Electric Ladyland....I know I know not an original quad release....
There are so many dream projects the list would never end.

Hi Bob,

I would also like to throw my vote in for the Pink Floyd quads. The Dark Side of the Moon discrete quad mix is preferred by many over the SACD 5.1 mix. Alan Parsons mixed that quad just right. As for AHM, the title song is just again perfectly mixed on the UK discrete quad 8. The rest of the tracks could stand to be remixed discretely from the original multi-track tapes.

A_L

Hi Bob,
The original Pink Floyd Quadraphonic Mixes would be great big seller's and should be released "as is" IMHO. "Wish You Were Here" was another great Quad Mix released by them.

There is reportedly an unreleased Quadraphonic Mix of "Animals" that was supposed to come out on Q8 and SQ Record and was even given catalog numbers and release dates. Because "Animals" came out near the end of the Quad era (January 1977), that must have been the reason it did not get released in Quadraphonic. Nevertheless, I did hear a Quadraphonic mix of Animals "Live" on their tour in Oakland, California in 1977 (as have many other QQ members). Also, a Quad mix of "Meddle" was reportedly played for the press at one time by the band, so that mix (as well as others) might exist by Pink Floyd.

Those are some of the "Holy Grail" Quad mixes of all time along with The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" supposedly mixed by Glyn Johns in 1973 and the solo Beatles Quads. There are actually a lot of "Holy Grail" Quadraphonic recordings that need to be released! :D

Jim

Does Capitol also have Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here quad mix?

NOW it could have the right about it, since NOW all the PF catalog is licensed to Capitol in USA. But the real quad master tape should be in the Columbia vaults. Since all the rumours about a SACD release has been... well. It's a dream, but we can dream, can't we?

Back