Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For this title:

Miller, Steve – Fly Like An Eagle (Quad 8 track + DD DVD on the 30th anniv. edition)

The DTS-CD is the quad mix, but the DD DVD is a brand new 5.1 mix on the 30th anniv. edition.

Thanks, seems i unwillingly deleted that part from the message.

I'd still love to hear Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling in Quad. That one too was vaporware. There's endless possibilities to be considered. Already we're seeing things listed that we weren't even aware of. That to me is very exciting. What about "Gord's Gold" by Gordon Lightfoot? I really hope that the sales are strong enough that they warrant a continuation of the series. Maybe other labels will take notice and allow access to their vaults. This really could be "the next big thing" that the music industry is waiting for.

Bob, I know that you can check everybody's posts and mine are no exception.
I was not a lover of the CTA release.
First I think it sounds very flat, but then I read that you had to tweak and add "air" and some bass here and there, so that way, my criticismism is not valid because I have no point of reference on how it actually sounded from the baked tapes.
The other thing is the "lazy" visual display.; a logo and titles are OK, but this is a CLASSIC recording and I personally would have included a lyrics slideshow and maybe a couple of photos as background for the instrumentals...
I say this because , as a converter, I have found that a Lyrics slideshow is a MUST (a great example of a commercial DVDA: Crowded House S/T DVD-A)
Were you in charge of adding or not adding these to the release? Did you get a big "no-no" from above regarding this extra stuff?
Cheers,
Al

The "lyrics slideshow" raised a question on me and i've checked the data on the CTA disc.
Total size is 2.8Gb
Ac3 4.0 stream is 251Mb
DTS 4.0 stream is 850Mb.
Some Mb devoted to the menu (20?)
All the rest is video.
If the authoring was done in a different way (stills instead of movies) there was enough room to do a MLP 4.0 track on a single-layer disc, along with dts and ac3.

Thnks Bob for the whole information about the Capitol vaults.

One thing i forgot yesterday when checking your list, that includes also the old UA titles, is this:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1518464/a/What+You+Hear+Is+What+You+Get.htm

That should be in the "quad" vaults, since it had a quad release (double quad 8 track) and now it is in EMI hands. A very smokin' live album by itself and a quite involving quad mix.

The two Shirley Bassey releases that had a quad version (Never never never; Carnegie Hall) now seems licensed to other labels (BGO and DRG).

Well, everybody gets excited about their dreamlists obviously.
I love the Chicago release, so I hope for a (future) list of available and licensable (on reasonable terms) for quad release. Blu-Ray-only would lose me as a customer (check if DVD/BD combo can be done at this price point). The visuals don't matter much.
Next to consider is that the better quad mixes are preferred above lackluster ones (there might be a reason some mixes were not released :)).
Quad releases that were only released on "inferior" media (like Q8) or matrixed (SQ,QS) would be of higher interest than those of which Q4 reels were released (pretty good digital conversions do exist).
And of course the unreleased quads make a lot of us curious.

Let's see how far we can take this (y)

I was more than pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the CTA disc. I'm anxiously awaiting more. Any Zappa would be great, especially the unreleased One Size Fits All. Close to the Edge would be great, as would any Pink Floyd, but especially Wish You Were Here and Animals. More wishlist items: Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Captain Beefheart (I know this is a longshot!) ELP and Jethro Tull. Keep 'em coming!

Bob, I know that you can check everybody's posts and mine are no exception.
I was not a lover of the CTA release.
First I think it sounds very flat, but then I read that you had to tweak and add "air" and some bass here and there, so that way, my criticismism is not valid because I have no point of reference on how it actually sounded from the baked tapes.
The other thing is the "lazy" visual display.; a logo and titles are OK, but this is a CLASSIC recording and I personally would have included a lyrics slideshow and maybe a couple of photos as background for the instrumentals...
I say this because , as a converter, I have found that a Lyrics slideshow is a MUST (a great example of a commercial DVDA: Crowded House S/T DVD-A)
Were you in charge of adding or not adding these to the release? Did you get a big "no-no" from above regarding this extra stuff?
Cheers,
Al

Al,
Glad to hear you're also a fan of the Crowded House DVD-A which I also mastered.
I'm not involved in the video content of these disc's.

Best,

Bob

The next series (if it happens) will most likely be Blu-Ray... so there you go....

I like the CTA disc, but if the rest of the series is going to be Blu-ray, then I'm out. Nothing against Blu-Ray, it's just that I have no reason to purchase another player at this time (I already have 2 Universal players that play all formats except Blu-Ray.) So count me in the camp that would have preferred to have DVD-A on this and future discs. (btw: I like the Crowded House DVD-A. Wish the rest of the albums had been mixed and released as MCH)

I never heard the entire albums by Crowded House, only the hit singles, but I did purchase this disc (DualDisc version) a couple of years back and liked what I heard.
Now, I'm a huge Fan of Split Enz (have their box set) and would love to see this band's catalog get surround treatment.

Welcome Bob!
I live the Chicago DTS disc.
But offering multi-channel Blue-Ray.... WOW!!!:worthynnel
Would love something that hasn't been released yet on digital format.

Thanks so much from us audiophile quad guys.

I'll take new surround in any format, I can play them all, just keep them coming!

IMO, releasing unreleased quad mixes of any band is infinitely better than re-releasing any recordings already released in surround on any format, even as crappy as a Dolby Surround encoded CD. But then again, re-releasing stuff already available in quad is infinitely better than releasing nothing at all!

The Paul McCartney quads, as great as they are, would be a complete waste of a reissue. They already have DTS CDs. Bring on Close To The Edge!

First of all, welcome Bob! Glad to have you here!
Excellent job on the CTA disc. I've been a big fan of Chicago for years.
Now I have 3 of their albums done to DVD!

If things were to get released as you say... I'd have 3 words for you...

"I'll Be Broke"!!!

Recordings I'd like to see:
Yes - Close To The Edge (and the Yes Album!)
ELP's Trilogy and Welcome Back My Friends.
Jethro Tull's Aqualung, War Child & MU
Any Led Zeppelin
Any Eagles
The first 3 Queen albums
Some Paul Revere and the Raiders,
Blue Oyster Cult, Mott The Hoople and stuff like that.
(Oh, and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here)

I'm not asking much am I?? :)
As I said, I'd be broke!

I'm glad Rhino has seen their way to trying again with CTA and we all hope that they will see clear to continuing on.
DVD or Blu... I'd buy either or but I'd hope they'd stay with DVD for now.
All the best!

-Bob

IMO, releasing unreleased quad mixes of any band is infinitely better than re-releasing any recordings already released in surround on any format, even as crappy as a Dolby Surround encoded CD. But then again, re-releasing stuff already available in quad is infinitely better than releasing nothing at all!
The Paul McCartney quads, as great as they are, would be a complete waste of a reissue. They already have DTS CDs. Bring on Close To The Edge!

Very Important Point. Better dust off first the "unreleased" ones, in order to re-create a market. As much as i love the USA quad mix of "Machine Head" at present time it would be worthless since there has been two different official release of it, sacd=uk quad mix, dvda=new 5.1 remix. Ok, maybe "worthless" is too strong, but for sure a quad Trilogy or Close to the edge would raise many more hands and get out many more bucks, that is what Rhino and others are waiting for. :)

Welcome Bob! Thanks to you and Rhino for starting this excellent releasing project. I hope our dreams will come true.
I'd like to have Pink Floyd WYWH (this year is the 35th anniversary) and also the rest of the PF quads. What a great catalogue would be! Anyway, I would buy any titles in any format. I'd prefer lossless.

Back