Beatles Songs in 5.1 ---Anthology, Help!!, etc.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some were very isolated. The track I posted was the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH backing vocals on Helter Skelter. You could hear swishy artifacts in the background on a lot of stuff, but for the most part they sounded very good. Let me check to see if I kept them (they don't really make good repeat listening).

Unfortunately, I can no longer edit the post that has the song list in it. I don't know why.

If I could edit it, I would add:
Hey Jude (Partial - missing pieces of the end. Also the vocals (but not the instruments) are from the promotional video recording and therefore do not match the recorded version)
Revolution (Partial - missing a phrase towards the end where John describes why the single version of Revolution was/wasn't needed. Like "Hey Jude", the vocals are taken from the filmed version)

I believe all of the "fulls" are in the original list.

Andy

Hey!

So I'm new to this forum, and 5.1 too.. I have been ripping as many Beatles 5.1 tracks as possible.

From the 2006 LOVE DVD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because
Get Back
Glass Onion
Eleanor Rigby
I Am the Walrus
I Want to Hold Your Hand
Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing
Gnik Nus
Something
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Help!
Blackbird/Yesterday
Strawberry Fields Forever
Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Octopus's Garden
Lady Madonna
Here Comes the Sun
Come Together/Dear Prudence
Revolution
Back in the U.S.S.R.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
A Day in the Life
Hey Jude
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
All You Need Is Love

From the 2012 Magical Mystery Tour Blu-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fool on the Hill
Flying
Your Mother Should Know
I Am the Walrus

I couldn't rip Magical Mystery Tour itself from here because of John's voice-over in the middle of the song. Unless there is another 5.1 source for this section, an edit seems unlikely to restore it
I also didn't take a proper crack at Blue Jay Way, as I don't have a particular fondness for the song. The intro seems to be different from the official track, but might work with some patching up from the 2009 Stereo Remaster or even through a simple fade-up.

From the 2007 Help! DVD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help!
The Night Before
- Cut down due to a missing section. The intro is missing, but I created a phantom 5.1 intro using the 2009 Stereo Remaster. Not perfect but it will do
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
I Need You
Another Girl
You're Going to Lose That Girl
Ticket to Ride

Often sound effects such as wind, or voice would tail at the start or end of a track. I found that more often than not, this would be focused on the central channel, as would the vocals. Because there aren't many vocals in the intro or outro sections, I simply muted the central channel until the end of the sound effects, before the vocals started.

Most people seem to have grabbed a 5.1 mix from the original release of the Yellow Submarine DVD but I'm going to try the 2012 Blu-Ray remaster, and will also be combining this version of All You Need is Love with the Anthology mix, or with the Beatles: Rock Band multitracks for the song

Is the 2012 5.1 mix of Yellow Submarine the same as the original 5.1 mix?

I am also going to make an attempt to rip the 5.1 from my Anthology DVDs, although I'm parted from them at the moment. On top of that, I have stems from The Beatles: Rock Band, from which I may be able to create 5.1 tracks myself (and as each track of these multitracks are in Stereo, further OOPSing might reveal more layers to mix from). I can tell you that all the Rock Band stems for Sgt Pepper, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road are available, as well as many other tracks. I can't wait to hear the Abbey Road Medley in 5.1!

Additionally, I have ripped the excellent DVD of Lennon Legend and the sound mix on that is fantastic! As a follow up, I'll be ripping The McCartney Years soon

Are there any other modern sources of Beatles 5.1 tracks?

Hey ChDe, this sounds like an amazing project you've got going there. For the Abbey Road album, grab Romanotrax's 5.0 mix if you can find it. Here's what he wrote about it:

"This is not an upmix from a stereo source. It is also not isolations using one of the upmixing method to squeeze out the different instruments. These 5.0 mixes were created using the actual Rockband multis. I did them in Nuendo. The original files were multitrack ogg vorbis files which I opened up in Sound Forge and then saved each wav as a separate file. There is no .1 channel in this mix but if your system is set up correctly your bass management should take care of that - and there is plenty of bass!"

I love his mix. It's amazing. (EDIT: here's some more information about it - https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-DTS-downloads&p=155996&viewfull=1#post155996)

If you end up doing Anthology, please let us know!

Does anybody know of any other good mixes made from Rock Band?

For the Abbey Road album, grab Romanotrax's 5.0 mix if you can find it

Yeah, I am having issues finding it! Never mind, I'll keep looking, otherwise I'll just work on my own version!
Still, I'll work on Pepper, Rubber Soul and what I have of the Anthology DVDs.

I'm actually waiting for a brand new surround system before I work on anything else!

There were supposed to be some new songs replacing a few other songs in the "Love" show in Las Vegas, I don't know which ones, but getting those would probably require bribing somebody there.

There were supposed to be some new songs replacing a few other songs in the "Love" show in Las Vegas, I don't know which ones, but getting those would probably require bribing somebody there.

Ah, I think you might be on about tracks they mixed in 2006 but never used within the show. Two of them, "Girl" and "The Fool on the Hill" are available for download from iTunes, so they're in Stereo only. If you want to hear them, I suppose you could look on YouTube.

I do know that they mixed together a few others too, such as a version of "She's Leaving Home" - the remnants of this can be heard on the "All Together Now" DVD. but it's not a direct music feed, plus it sounds just like the version on Pepper, from the few bits I have heard

An update to my list

From the 2006 LOVE DVD
Because
Get Back
Glass Onion
Eleanor Rigby
I Am the Walrus
I Want to Hold Your Hand
Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing
Gnik Nus
Something
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Help!
Blackbird/Yesterday
Strawberry Fields Forever
Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Octopus's Garden
Lady Madonna
Here Comes the Sun
Come Together/Dear Prudence
Revolution
Back in the U.S.S.R.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
A Day in the Life
Hey Jude
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
All You Need Is Love

The Fool on the Hill
Flying
Your Mother Should Know
I Am the Walrus

I couldn't rip Magical Mystery Tour itself from here because of John's voice-over in the middle of the song. Unless there is another 5.1 source for this section, an edit seems unlikely to restore it
I also didn't take a proper crack at Blue Jay Way, as I don't have a particular fondness for the song. The intro seems to be different from the official track, but might work with some patching up from the 2009 Stereo Remaster or even through a simple fade-up.

From the 2007 Help! DVD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help!
The Night Before
- Cut down due to a missing section. The intro is missing, but I created a phantom 5.1 intro using the 2009 Stereo Remaster. Not perfect but it will do
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
I Need You
Another Girl
You're Going to Lose That Girl
Ticket to Ride

From the 2003 Anthology 1-4 DVD
In My Life
It Won't Be Long
This Boy
I Want To Hold Your Hand
I'll Follow the Sun
If I Fell
Long Tall Sally
Things We Said Today
I Feel Fine
If You've Got Trouble

The reason I only ripped 10 tracks was due to the fact most of this stuff was only recorded on 2-track, and I didn't want to really use simulated 5.1 mixes. It Won't Be Long is surprisingly well.. faked I guess, with the vocals taking the center channels, with the 'response' vocals of "Yeah!" on the same track quickly being panned to the rear two speakers, it's practically seamless, very well done!

I'll get to ripping Anthology 5-8 and the Special Features later, I know there'll be some more advanced 5.1 mixes due to their heavy use of multitrack recording

Update...

So I listened to RomanoTrax's Abbey Road and wasn't very impressed. It doesn't blend or gel very well, every instrument seems to be separated too neatly, and some elements are even missing, i.e. the piano from Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Anyway, I've nearly finished ripping the Anthology Discs, and so far I actually seem to prefer most of the mixes on there to the ones on LOVE - A Day in the Life, for example. Is that weird of me?

Everyone who listens to the Anthology mixes of Free as a Bird and Real Love seems to think they're excellent too. But I didn't realize before that McCartney doubled up Lennon's vocal on Free as a Bird, and it's mixed way too loudly this time, almost drowning Lennon out. The way the mix is too, I can sometimes hear Lennon's piano playing on his demo dropping in and out at times. It's perhaps too 'separated' for a song based on a Mono Piano+Vocal track. The stereo mix is best

I am in the middle of watching/listening to the DVD box of Beatles Anthology in 5.1
I am stunned there has never been a DVD/BluRay issued of the best Beatles video clips (complete) in 5.1
Any ideas why not and when this could happen?

They could also consider reissuing all classic Beatles albums in 5.1, would sell like......

I am in the middle of watching/listening to the DVD box of Beatles Anthology in 5.1
I am stunned there has never been a DVD/BluRay issued of the best Beatles video clips (complete) in 5.1

They could also consider reissuing all classic Beatles albums in 5.1, would sell like......

You may want to buy Help, on BD. All the songs can be acc. in the menu without any bother. And they are wonderful.

Maybe someday, when there's little left they can milk us with...

The Fool on the Hill
Flying
Your Mother Should Know
I Am the Walrus

FYI, Blue Jay Way is available as a standalone track as a special feature along with a few of the other songs. It is highly disappointing that the Hello, Goodbye footage is stereo only.

I haven't revisited this thread in a while but I received a "like notification" and went to remind myself of what I had typed. So I thought I'd add a piece of information that I had read that is relevant to some of the questions in this thread.

It turns out that way back in the 2007 timeframe, Abbey Road Studios had prepared "deluxe editions" of The Beatles albums from Revolver on through Let It Be. Each of the deluxe editions included relevant singles, bonus tracks and a 5.1-channel mix. The reason for starting with Revolver was that this was the album that the Beatles started to extensively use bounce downs for more tracks and started layering many more sounds on top of the basic tracks. Those two items are really needed for an immersive surround sound mix.

Unfortunately the project was shelved in exchange for the 2009 remastered albums. As soon as any type of remixing is discussed, all four of the primary Apple shareholders have to approve and my understanding is that is very difficult for remixes.

Maybe with the 50th anniversaries of the albums coming up we might see something, but I doubt it. It will be a shame if Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's 50th anniversaries pass without any appropriate releases. But, so far there has been no indication of anything being planned.

We could also debate whether Rubber Soul should be included since the only bounce down on that album was for "Michelle". Some might disagree but modern technology allows for some of the mono-recorded instruments to be effectively separated out into separate tracks. This can be used to separate the drums from a rhythm guitar when those instruments were recorded on the same track, for instance.

Rubber Soul's 50th anniversary date is December 3, 2015. Revolver's 50th anniversary date is August 5, 2016.

Anyway, just wanted to add this information to the thread and maybe I'll remember where I read the information about the deluxe editions. As I understand it, the deluxe editions never made it to a final disc format but they were demo'ed to select music journalists.

Andy

Back