Beatles Songs in 5.1 ---Anthology, Help!!, etc.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Has anyone made a list of complete songs (without someone speaking over them), that have been done in 5.1.?

(I have been making some DVD-A's for the car from some DTS-DVD's I have, looked at my Beatles DVD's and remembered the promotional videos, some film montages and stuff.)

Bender

Has anyone made a list of complete songs (without someone speaking over them), that have been done in 5.1.?

(I have been making some DVD-A's for the car from some DTS-DVD's I have, looked at my Beatles DVD's and remembered the promotional videos, some film montages and stuff.)

Bender

Hi Bender,

Yes, there is a QQ page dedicated to The Beatles in surround:

Beatles in Surround: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-beatles.htm

But there might be more Beatles surround stuff out there that is unknown. If anyone has any info to add please post.

Unfortunately there was talking over some of the The Beatles music videos on the "Anthology" release. Which would have been fine had there been a "bonus disc" of just The Beatles music videos without chatting over the music. Strange, considering they were at the forefront of creating music videos way before MTV that after all there years we still do not have a compilation of just their music videos, let alone in surround.

Fortunately, Paul and Ringo as well as surviving family members of John and George are all very much "surround friendly" and very supportive of surround music concerning The Beatles and solo projects. Paul McCartney has even mentioned in a past Rolling Stone magazine article that The Beatles in high resolution format might be realeaed some day on Blu-Ray. The recent Beatles remasters were re-mastered at 24 bit / 192 kHz according to the article.

Thank you Old Quad Guy for your great response. I actually have seen that page, I have been trying to do my due dilligence before posting.

I think I likely asked my question incorrectly.

What I am getting at, is there a list of complete songs that are showcased in the Anthology (ones that are not parts of songs or have voice overs)? I want to make audio only DVD-A's from the DTS DVD's (without hearing someone discuss the track) for listening only. (For example the video for Rain, is simply the music in 5.1 - where as sections of Got to Get You Into My Life are played, but never the whole song in it's entirety.)

Sorry, I think I answered your question incorrectly... :eek:

No, there is not a list of songs with just Beatles 5.1 songs without talking. Great idea for a thread. It would also be helpful if perhaps we list which disc a song is on and time wise where it is on a disc.

As I recall, the "Help" DVD (the newest one), has almost all of the songs complete in really good 5.1. There's a thread here about that title. The only song with an interuption is the one where they're singing in the field and the bad guys are in tunnels underneath them planning to blow them up.

AHDN - Forget it.

Yellow Submarine (DVD/LD - the blue cover one) has good surround, but not up to Love or Help standards.

Ok cool. We have the makings for a list. Will go through my Anthology DVDs to see what's there.

Rain 5.1 - (no talking)
Yellow Submarine DVD 5.1 - (no talking)
Help DVD 5.1 - (no talking - except interruption in one song) Can interruption be edited out?

Ok cool. We have the makings for a list. Will go through my Anthology DVDs to see what's there.

Rain 5.1 - (no talking)
Yellow Submarine DVD 5.1 - (no talking)
Help DVD 5.1 - (no talking - except interruption in one song) Can interruption be edited out?

I was able to do an edit - the song is "The Night Before." Around the 1:26 mark just after a short Harrison solo. The edit is not perfect but I was able to keep in sync with the meter of the song. Used DVD audio extractor to convert the DTS stream into multichannel wave files and then edited the wave file with Wavosaurus (freeware). Works great if you want to edit out applause and over chatty artists during live concert videos. Also has some cool fade in fade out features. The edited multichannel wave files are then converted to DVD A using Circlina's HD Audio Solo Ultra.

I've been planning on making a similar compilation myself. It would be great if someone has a list of the uninterrupted songs from the Anthology. I had previously made these lists for the other two:

Yellow Submarine:
Yellow Submarine
Eleanor Rigby
All Together Now
When I'm Sixty-Four
Only a Northern Song
Nowhere Man
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With a Little Help from My Friends
All You Need Is Love
Hey Bulldog
It's All Too Much
All Together Now

Help!:
Help!
You're Going to Lose That Girl
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Ticket to Ride
I Need You
Another Girl

If this becomes a group project, I definitely don't have the best hardware or software for the job, but I would be happy to lend out my copy of the Yellow Submarine laserdisc, which has an AC3 track that sounds better than the DVD IMO. Of course, ripping the DVD would be the simpler route by far.

I thought I had put a list together awhile back in one of the other threads. This will be from memory (so please forgive me if I leave something out). I'll edit more into the lists as time permits.

Yellow Submarine DVD (Dolby Digital - Use the "Music Only" audio option) - True 5.1-channel:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yellow Submarine (full - same mix as Anthology DVD snipet)
Hey Bulldog (full)
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (full with the exception of the fade on the last note is overlapped by the start of the instrumentation for soundtrack music)
When I'm 64 (full but at the wrong speed - easily corrected)
Eleanor Rigby (full but Dolby Digital really abuses this song)
Only a Northern Song (partial - last part of song is missing. However to hear one of the worst trumpet "solos" just play the center channel isolated)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (partial - crowd noise intro to first beat is missing. Note that this is the only 5.1-channel version where the lead vocals are spread to the right and left channels with the barker vocals on the right channel and Sgt Pepper band vocals on the left channel)
With a Little Help From My Friends (fades during first verse)
Nowhere Man (Full version with real funky mix - vocals in the corners, instruments in center)
It's All Too Much (Mangled Edit - however one verse not on the album version is included in 5.1, really
enjoy the opening surround mix)
All You Need is Love (Edited version - exact same mix as Anthology DVD. Editing together Yellow Sub DVD and Anthology DVD song versions will produce a full version of All You Need is Love - that's my give-away secret for today. I like this version of AYNIL much more than the Love mix (which is different) - sorry Giles)
Love You To - very tiny amount of the song is used
Baby You're A Rich Man - again, a small amount of the song is used - more is on Anthology DVD

If one were adventurous enough, they could easily take the above (along with the CD of the songtrack to fill-in missing pieces) and create a 5.1-channel Yellow Submarine Songtrack (DTS or DVD-Audio).

Anthology DVDs (Using the DTS soundtrack) - True 5.1-channel (unlike LaserDisc)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love Me Do (Full but nothing to write home about in 5.1)
Twist and Shout (Full - two track original mixed to 5.1 - center has vocal track, fronts have the instrumentation track and surrounds have reverb effects and small amount of lead vocals)
If Won't Be Long (Full - two track original with overdubs results in the "answer vocals" being located in the rear channel. Quite good for a twin track original.)
I Want to Hold Your Hand (Full - The Beatles first 4-track recording sounds great in 5.1)
This Boy (Full)
If I Fell (Full - except for fade out at end - seem to remember that the pitch is wrong)
I'll Follow The Sun (Full - works surprisingly well in 5.1-channel)
Things We Said Today (Full - a favorite because you can isolate the backing vocals in the surround channels - very entertaining)
Long Tall Sally (Full - surprisingly great 5.1-channel mix)
All My Loving (Full - Live at the Hollywood Bowl - surrounds are mostly screams. Fronts are mostly screams with some music. Just like you're there)
Help!(Partial - very partial. Just the opening phrase with the guitars spread differently than the Help! DVD mix)
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (Full - Take 5 and given the limited amount of instruments not much of a revelation in 5.1)
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (Full - different mix than Help! DVD)
You're Going to Lose That Girl (Full - different mix than Help! DVD)
Leave My Kitten Alone (Partial - fades early and really not a good use of the surrounds)
If You've Got Trouble (Almost full - fades out early at the end)
I Feel Fine (checking...)
In My Life (Full)
Day Tripper (Almost full - towards the end solo, the music fades and John explains that this is a drug song. This wasn't easy to substitute the music from other sources over but it can be done)
We Can Work It Out (Full, I believe)
And Your Bird Can Sing (Full, early version with laughing overdub. Interestingly, if you drop out the back surrounds, the launghing track is removed. Kind of like being in the studio for the vocal overdub that went wrong)
Paperback Writer (checking)
Rain (Full, except the gap just before the drum solo where John explains the backwards vocals)
For No One (Full - this mix is worth the price of admission. The use of an LFE allows Ringo's very subtle bass drum to be heard properly)
Strawberry Fields Forever (Partial Take 1 - not the album track, fades out early at the end - please also note that the surround channels and fronts are apparently swapped on the DVD. Much nicer mix when corrected.)
Strawberry Fields Forever (Partial Album version - talk over during the melotron intro and the coda is missing - again easily corrected with some effort)
Penny Lane (Full but again some speed issues)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (full, a different mix than in Yellow Sub DVD - vocals are all centered unfortunately)
With a Little Help From My Friends (partial, first verse up until drum solo - different mix than Yellow Sub DVD)
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite (partial - opening is missing and last verse with the closing circus effects are missing)
A Day in the Life (Almost full - intro missing and last chord is shortened. Different mix than on Love)
Fool On The Hill(Partial - beginning talked over, last part missing - however a great improvement in sound quality over the album version)
Your Mother Should Know (Partial - last verses missing - Biggest improvement in sound quality over album of any of the songs since the album version is so distorted. This is much cleaner)
Hello Goodbye (Full but needs serious speed correction)
I Am the Walrus (Almost full - missing the intro. 5.1-channel intro can be created using various sources - a favorite mix for our dog who loves the chorus voices floating back and forth in the surround channels. This was also the first time I Am The Walrus was released without fake stereo or mono for the final verses.)
Baby You're A Rich Man (Partial - great bass but it is broken into pieces. Maybe the best way to say it is that there is more of the end than the beginning.)
Lady Madonna (checking)
Happiness is a Warm Gun (Partial - from the beginning of the song until Mother Superior makes her entrance)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps(Full Demo - actual fades just a hair early but essentially full. The end of the demo with the organ track can be found during the White Album montage.)
Yellow Submarine (Snipets in two places. Same mix as the Yellow Sub DVD. It is possible to take the snipets and integrate with the DD Yellow Sub DVD version to create a slightly better sound)
Let It Be (Full and non-Spectorized)
The Long and Winding Road (Full and non-Spectorized)
Get Back (Partial - from the rooftop. The beginning of the song is not included. The Let It Be...Naked CD can be very helpful here)
Don't Let Me Down (Partial from the rooftop, kind of. Song is full in exactly the same way it is on the Let It Be film. So, the part where the "people on the street" are interviewed with the Bealtes reverb-ing off all the buildings is included.)
The Ballad of John and Yoko (partial - starts at the "Peter Brown Called to Say" lyric - interesting to isolate Paul's background vocals)
Something (Almost Full except for first few notes - easily corrected - really enjoy this mix)
Free As a Bird (Full - great "bird" effects at the beginning)
Real Love (Full on the "extra" DVD)

Help! DVD (Using the DTS soundtrack) - True 5.1-channel
------------------------------------------------------------------

Help! (Full - a different mix than Anthology)
The Night Before (Missing one measure of the song, also has one verse repeated)
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (Full and different mix than the full version on Anthology DVD)
I Need You (Full)
Another Girl (Full)
You're Going To Lose That Girl (Almost Full and different mix than the almost full version on Anthology DVD. Both versions lose the end of the last note)
Ticket To Ride (Full and probably the best mix on the Help! DVD)

Last edited:
IYellow Submarine DVD (Dolby Digital - Use the "Music Only" audio option) - True 5.1-channel:
I Am the Walrus (This was also the first time I Am The Walrus was released without fake stereo for the final verses.)
Unfortunately, the music-only option on the DVD sounds MUCH worse than the same songs on the regular track (the music-only track is much lower, less dynamic & has much less separation). IATW was first released without fake stereo on Ron Furmanek's Dolby Pro-Logic MMT laserdisc mix, many years before Anthology.

Unfortunately, the music-only option on the DVD sounds MUCH worse than the same songs on the regular track (the music-only track is much lower, less dynamic & has much less separation). IATW was first released without fake stereo on Ron Furmanek's Dolby Pro-Logic MMT laserdisc mix, many years before Anthology.

I think I have the MMT laserdisc at home - I'll fire it up tonight. Hopefully the LD player still works.

I remember how much better Death Cab For Cutie sounded on the MMT LD than the MMT DVD. It was in true stereo on the LD but in stereo-mush on the DVD.

I'll look at the bitrates on the music only. From what I saw on the audio tracks, the music-only DD had many overshoots but it looked standard bitrate. My ears couldn't tell the difference. I would find it hard to understand how the separation could be any less since they both start with the same 5.1-channel source.

Andy

From what I saw on the audio tracks, the music-only DD had many overshoots but it looked standard bitrate. My ears couldn't tell the difference. I would find it hard to understand how the separation could be any less since they both start with the same 5.1-channel source.
You listened to the regular track & then the same song oin the music-only track & couldn't tell the difference??!! To me, they sound completely different, in fact 1 song (I forget which one now) actually goes to mono in the middle of it on the music track, then goes back to 5.1. If ever a DVD needed re-doing, it would be that non-anamorphic disaster (I still love it, however). Could you imagine how great it would look (and sound) on 1080P Blu-Ray?

all you need is love...when you edit yellow sub with anthology (or should I say anthology with yellow sub dvd edited for the ending) remember that one vesion has more audible hiss on the subwoofer channel than the other..

also note that most of the songs on yellow sub dvd need speed correction ...compare with cd..

and yes yellow sub songtrack cd in pro logic works wonders when you're trying to fill in gaps..the newer cd mixes complement the yellow sub dvd well....especially for finishing it's only a northern dong.

Anthology has Lady Madonna in 5.1 but there is bad wow and flutter on one of the sections...bad slow down in one spot..

Anthology also has "If You've got troubles" in 5.1...

anybody up for a beatles rock band list in 5.1 ??

Last edited:
anybody up for a beatles rock band list in 5.1 ??

Yes - could you also explain if it is possible to isolate instruments in rock band? In other words can the user (or player) create almost a multitrack from the rock band mixes? I've been curious.

Andy

... IATW was first released without fake stereo on Ron Furmanek's Dolby Pro-Logic MMT laserdisc mix, many years before Anthology.

I only have the MMT LD that has the "Special Audio Re-mix by George Martin" version. I have it running right now.

In that version, IATW is true stereo until the usual spot where it goes to mono (no fake stereo). I'm spoiled in having a 5.1-channel version of IATW, so it really is difficult to go back to the stereo/fake-stereo/mono versions. That is one song where the use of more channels really enhances the song.

Andy

I only have the MMT LD that has the "Special Audio Re-mix by George Martin" version. I have it running right now.

In that version, IATW is true stereo until the usual spot where it goes to mono (no fake stereo). I'm spoiled in having a 5.1-channel version of IATW, so it really is difficult to go back to the stereo/fake-stereo/mono versions. That is one song where the use of more channels really enhances the song.

Andy
That's the one. They gave GM the credit, but Ron really did the remix. And it's not 5.1, it's Pro-logic (no discrete backs).

That's the one. They gave GM the credit, but Ron really did the remix. And it's not 5.1, it's Pro-logic (no discrete backs).

Interesting. Yes, it is Pro-Logic encoded - which is how I could tell it went into mono (everything in the center).

What I was implying in my 5.1-channel comment is that since 2003, I've had a full IATW on a 5.1-channel DVD-Audio disc. We've kind-of touched on this above, but taking the 5.1-channel DTS stream, filling in the missing pieces, eliminating any voice-overs and then transferring (for ones own personal use only, of course) to a DVD-Audio disc is not that difficult. As a bonus, almost all of the Anthology DVD tracks went back to the original multitrack masters (sometimes multiple 4-track masters), so the sound quality (despite the use of DTS) is far above even the recently release remastered CDs.

I truly wish that instead of doing this, I simply could have purchased the official Beatles 5.1-channel collection from Apple. But, I guess, that was not meant to be. We got mono and stereo collections instead. The "Love" disc was only a taste of what could have been.

So, being spoiled by the 5.1-channel mix since 2003, it is not as enjoyable to listen to the stereo/mono mixes. However, it's The Beatles - I'll listen to an old wax cylinder, if that has something interesting on it.

Andy

all you need is love...when you edit yellow sub with anthology (or should I say anthology with yellow sub dvd edited for the ending) remember that one vesion has more audible hiss on the subwoofer channel than the other..

also note that most of the songs on yellow sub dvd need speed correction ...compare with cd..

and yes yellow sub songtrack cd in pro logic works wonders when you're trying to fill in gaps..the newer cd mixes complement the yellow sub dvd well....especially for finishing it's only a northern dong.

Good comments - yes, nearly every track requires some speed correction since they accompanied a video.

One of those golden rules is to always check the frequencies in the LFE. As a side note, I'm amazed at how many releases actually have a full range LFE channel but intend for it to go to the subwoofer. There was one disc that rather than make an LFE of the bass guitar, they just put the entire bass guitar track on the LFE without any low pass. It wasn't a Beatles disc but I can't remember which group/artist it was.

Back