New in box "Claricon" CD-4 Demodulator

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's has to be a rebranded JVC (Good!).

I suppose that's why you put Claricon between quotation marks.

Just never heard of Claricon.

We have an old electronics brand here in Aus called Clarion. I wondered if a "Claricon" was was like a genuine Panaphonics or maybe a Sorny.

I have in front of me a Claricon CD-4 Demodulator Serial Number: 0492. It was purchased at a retail store..early 74. Made In Japan. It's pre-amp/Demodulator I've used it for years and when through several turntables and two cartridges. It had good separation. It does not say anywhere "JVC" just made in japan. :banana:

well, I can't tell you much about it...but I found it at a retail store. I set it up and it work wonderfully without a hitch. Good separation and it is a phono preamp as well. So, I was happy with the unit and have used it for many years. If memory serves me right the demodulator cost me around $180.00. I had my eye on a Marantz but didn't have the money to spend on that so I took the Claricon. I am looking for the User/service manual for this unit..if you have any idea where I can look please enlighten me. I have searched the Internet and found nothing..I have however contacted Rick's Manuals to see if he can help me I'm
awaiting his response. It might haven been top of the line but it sure worked very well for me. :0)

Must be an obscurer item. I contacted Rick's Manual. He told me he had very few items on Claricon and did not have CD-4. So back to where I stated. Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie

I think a Claricon is the first demodulator The Quadfather had and I don't think he had much luck with it.

EDIT: OK, I have to amend this post to say Quadfather's main problem then was an AT14S cartridge with a worn stylus, not the Claricon.

Doug

yeah, a worn stylus will cause you problems. In the back of the demodulator there are screw settings for the separation Left and Right also is a switch low/high along with an output Left and Right. The last time I used it was matched with the SL-MK1210 set on 2 channel. I was getting distortion and loss of power. I took it offline and found someone to take a look at it. I have to drive to Nazareth, PA. ( about 1 hr 16 minutes) so not too bad. I'll head to his shop on Friday. Hopefully, he will be able to repair my Clarion.

If anyone has any information on Claricon CD -4 Please let me know...I'm racking my brain and fingers...trying to find documentation...thanks

I've had a couple of Claricon stereo receivers in the past, basically budget brands made from third-party parts. Think Soundesign.

Thanks for the information....I did e-mail Soundesign..email was rejected by server..and it was there link to email. Guess the email server don't' like email. additional Information: I spent several hours searching and anyone selling, buying or repairing vintage audio were e-mail. I can do no more in finding out about Claricon. Trying to get the service guy a service manual so he's not looking at this thing blindly. It's frustrating......thanks folks for your help in this matter..I do appreciate all the posts.

Charlie

Last edited:
This place has at least one Claricon manual (for a PA), maybe one can request others. http://www.eserviceinfo.com/index.php?what=search2&searchstring=Claricon+44-100+PA+001.jpg I have no experience with the site. I found a mention on AK that it is made by AMD electronics, Elizabeth, PA, made in Japan. Myself, I wouldn't spend too much time searching for a manual unless the servicer runs into a brick wall and can't do without it. Many electronic problems are generic enough that a good tech can find on their own, the symptoms that unit has sound like maybe a weak power supply, if things are labeled somewhat......well who knows, it does sound like a budget brand.

I thank you kindly for the link. It most likely was a budget brand. I was barely 18 when I bought it...200 bucks in 1974 was a lot of money!!!

The Claricon unit you mention was the first CD-4 demodulator I owned back in 1978. My first experience with CD-4. I paid very little for it new. We upgraded to a Marantz 400 (JVC 4DD5 equiv.) and noticed a big improvement. Sold it at some point, but I forget when.

Yeah, This Claricon unit is my first CD-4 demodulator...guess I just want to hang on to it. I have a JVC 4DD5 brand new in box. I should go out and find a Marantz 400 unit...usually found on E__Ay for around $100. I'm not so inclined to do the E_ay thing..untrustworthy is what generally comes to mind. However, I can go to a more reliable sources. For now, i'll swap out receivers and go with Pioneer QX-747 at least it has a built in demodulator and SQ, RM and CD-4. Perhaps not the most expensive reviver out there for Quad but functional. The unit was thoroughly gone over...all clean. :)

well, I can't tell you much about it...but I found it at a retail store. I set it up and it work wonderfully without a hitch. Good separation and it is a phono preamp as well. So, I was happy with the unit and have used it for many years. If memory serves me right the demodulator cost me around $180.00. I had my eye on a Marantz but didn't have the money to spend on that so I took the Claricon. I am looking for the User/service manual for this unit..if you have any idea where I can look please enlighten me. I have searched the Internet and found nothing..I have however contacted Rick's Manuals to see if he can help me I'm
awaiting his response. It might haven been top of the line but it sure worked very well for me. :0)

Hi, I never thought I would find someone else with one of these, did you ever find a manual from Rick? 003.jpg

Have a JVC CD4-1. Lots of dropouts.
Got the JVC 4DD-5. Will play records the CD4-1 will not.
Got a Claricon CD-4 demodulator from Leo’s Stereo in Hollywood.

Plays records neither of the JVC’s will.

Back