BluRay Music Video Poll Porcupine Tree - ANESTHETIZE [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray Disc of Porcupine Tree's ANESTHETIZE

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Rate the Blu-Ray DTS Master Audio Surround Video Disc of Porcupine Tree's ANESTHETIZE! (n):phones(y)

Here's the forum link to a prior discussion surrounding the release of this disc:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?12722

:D

PT Anesthetize Front.jpgPT Anesthetize Sticker.jpgPT Anesthetize Back.jpg

Excellent release, crank the volume up and you are there on the front row. I do not hesitate in giving it a 10.

Coincidently I've got hold of quite a few BD concerts the last two weeks, among others the latest from U2 and The Boss. None of them having a "wow" factor coming even close to Anesthetize. It might be the best I've ever seen, so it's a 10 from me.

Availability of this is a bit difficult, but I did manage to order one from overseas. Now to see if it actually ships out.

From the topic title, "Procupine Tree - ANESTHETIZE [Blu-Ray]" Is PROcupine Tree another Steven Wilson project :) Voted a 10, great set.

Thanks Robert. I guess I've become so "Pro" Porcupine Tree that I got carried away! :D

I gave it a 9 - a one point knock for the video - this is one time I wish they would have used more lighting to get a better HD image..

but wow for the music and mix - would rate this as my favourite mix of a live concert..

I gave it a 9 - a one point knock for the video - this is one time I wish they would have used more lighting to get a better HD image..

but wow for the music and mix - would rate this as my favourite mix of a live concert..
Someone on another forum was complaining about too much lighting on the Blu-ray.

Anyway mine has shipped so should have it in a week:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.co.uk items (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.):

1 Almost Famous [Extended Ed... Ā£7.17 1 Ā£7.17

1 Anesthetize + Blu-Ray [DVD] Ā£11.48 1 Ā£11.48

Dispatched via Royal Mail (estimated arrival date: July 26, 2010).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: Ā£18.65
Delivery and handling: Ā£4.07

Total: Ā£22.72

This completes your order.

I can only comment on the DVD portion of this package as I have not yet upgraded to 1080P/BluRay. I've always considered Fear Of A Blank Planet to be Porcupine Tree's masterpiece. Forlorn, bored youths with only one way outta here. This is an opportunity to hear and see them perform it live.

Sleep Together is the highpoint for me. During the middle part where the piano and drums exchange syncopated offbeats (do you know how difficult this is? And they're doing it live), and it builds and builds until the keyboard starts playing Kashmir-like rifs in the background. Climax. Wow, haven't heard anything like this since the Grateful Dead stopped touring.

Very impressive music. Great video at 720p. Steven, get a treadmill and lose that paunch.

FINALLY watched this Blu-Ray show Sunday night, I was not disppointed.

Recent memories of The Incident tour were swept aside to wallow in the glory that was the FOABP tour. This release captures the intensity of the concerts and showed me a lot of on stage interplay that can be obscured from typical seats. Having the camera over Gavin Harrison's drum kit alone was worth the price of admission. Having the actual visual feeds over the audio in Extras was a terrific idea.

Neil and crew - superb delivery of a great event!

Recommended for fans and novices alike.

This is not technically perfect so I was in kind of a dilemma when I was about to vote.

On the positive side:
- the music is unbelievably good. Includes the playing, the sonics and the 5.1-mix
- the set list could not have been better - only Halo is duplicated from their last live DVD
- the footage and camera work is spot on and done very lively without being gimmicky or MTV'ish

On the negative side:
- the blacks on the Blu-ray picture is very washed out from time to time. Seems like some kind of error to me - a real pity! I have not compared it to the DVD yet.
- You can not navigate the menus during playing the disc, which is possible on all other BD's I have - how come?

The negative aspects do not in any way spoil my appreciation for this superb disc, so what to do? Well, since the disc is mostly too good to be true, I give it a 12. Then I withdraw 1 point for the washed out blacks and 1 point for the lack of playback navigation ----> a 10 from me ;-))

In my 100+ collection of music DVD's/BD's this one takes the top position, together with the former lone leader - Arriving Somewhere...

Yes, the black levels are washed out on the Blu-ray. The DVD has better blacks. A real shame, but at least it sounds great.

I was absolutely blown away by the playing on this disc. Amazing performances and an incredible 5.1 mix. I thought maybe the washed out look was either the way it was supposed to be or my TV wasn't set properly. But then I popped in "Wizard Of Oz" and it's definitely the disc. But nothing terrible. I think it would be much sharper if it didn't look like it was filmed. Still... I can't recommend this highly enough. Get it Get it Get it!!!

Reactions: GOS
I've noticed the menu for the DVD offers dts HD Master Audio 5.1 and LPCM Stereo. Actually it's just standard dts, but if you're playing it in stereo you can always play the DVD instead if you want the better blacks.

Don't know what all these "10" votes are all about. Seems like average stuff to me. I'd probably rather play the Killers Blu-ray.

update: the LPCM on the Blu-ray is 24 bit and sounds way better than the 16 bit on the DVD.

Last edited:
I've noticed the menu for the DVD offers dts HD Master Audio 5.1 and LPCM Stereo. Actually it's just standard dts, but if you're playing it in stereo you can always play the DVD instead if you want the better blacks.

Don't know what all these "10" votes are all about. Seems like average stuff to me. I'd probably rather play the Killers Blu-ray.

Enjoy your Killers DVD. Let me know if you need help figuring out what the hi-hat sound is.

Another 10. This is by far the best of the many music BD titles I own. Despite some of the negative comments regarding the PQ - it looks fantastic on my 50" plasma - crystal clear. The mix is heads and tails above the rest - kudos to SW for another high quality product (Neil W too)! I was hoping that this would compare somewhat to the live PT experience and except for the sweaty throng of the crowds - it comes really close - the recording and mix of Gavin Harrison's drums deserve special recognition. The man is a master of the cymbals.

Back