BluRay Music Video Poll Porcupine Tree - ANESTHETIZE [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray Disc of Porcupine Tree's ANESTHETIZE

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
I have to admit I have not been familiar with Porcupine Tree before but coming across this forum, so much adulation from a broad spectrum of members convinced me to give it a go. I picked up the Blu-ray version of this and U2 360, sat back in the home theatre 110" screen and gave them a run, U2 first. U2 visually great but musically so bland, surround mix very average and even though I felt like I had the best seat in the house I wasn't sure how many more songs I could put up with Bono and the boys. Disc change over to PT.......man........this is amazing.......what a performance, I could only watch the first half before I was reminded everyone else was in bed and couldn't get to sleep while I was playing the disc (right at that moment I hated U2 for wasting over an hour that could have been watching PT instead). Very few things have such an instant attraction when you get over 30. I take my hat off to Steve Wilson and the boys, you have a new fan....10 doesn't do this disc justice when other 'good' releases are getting 8's and 9's. Now to spend some $'s to catch up on what I've been missing out on in the dvd-a releases :)

I have to admit I have not been familiar with Porcupine Tree before but coming across this forum, so much adulation from a broad spectrum of members convinced me to give it a go. I picked up the Blu-ray version of this and U2 360, sat back in the home theatre 110" screen and gave them a run, U2 first. U2 visually great but musically so bland, surround mix very average and even though I felt like I had the best seat in the house I wasn't sure how many more songs I could put up with Bono and the boys. Disc change over to PT.......man........this is amazing.......what a performance, I could only watch the first half before I was reminded everyone else was in bed and couldn't get to sleep while I was playing the disc (right at that moment I hated U2 for wasting over an hour that could have been watching PT instead). Very few things have such an instant attraction when you get over 30. I take my hat off to Steve Wilson and the boys, you have a new fan....10 doesn't do this disc justice when other 'good' releases are getting 8's and 9's. Now to spend some $'s to catch up on what I've been missing out on in the dvd-a releases :)

:smokin Well, this is exactly how I felt 4 years ago!

You will have a blast catching up on some of the best music around. ENJOY !!

All the PT DVD-A's are good but the BR is the top of the heap. Not just from a PT perspective but when you compare it to everything else out there from an audio quality perspective. This one should be the 10 and averything else should be measured against it to come up with a rating. This is what I have started to do. Hence, Mojo which would have received a 10 prior to the PT BR got a lower rating in comparison.

I'm not a big fan of live concerts in surround sound. Usually just audience in the rear. But this concert changed my whole attitude about live in 5.1. This is the standard by which all concerts should be measured. And I'm just talking about the dvd since I still don't have a BD. When I do this will be #1 in my list.
Phil

I have watched it through a couple of times now, the initial euphoria is maintained, it really is stunning work. With the other PT titles I'm going to get used to the songs in stereo first to really then appreciate better their mastery in multichannel. I figure it's better to try out the new car on the road first before going to the racetrack :) This bluray is pure formula 1 on a dry day

I only heard of PT via this forum so bought the BluRay and I must say its gotta be one of the best live mixes I've heard. The drumming for me is the standout. Now I'm getting through all the PT releases in Surround Sound. Great discovery !!

Thanks Robert. So far I like Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing best being a lover of heavier music that I am !

I've bought Insurgentes but haven't given it a proper listen yet, will do soon

Does anyone else have trouble getting the bonus material to work on their blu-ray players?

The menus seem to be broken on my copy. I can play the main title but nothing else.

Does anyone else have trouble getting the bonus material to work on their blu-ray players?

The menus seem to be broken on my copy. I can play the main title but nothing else.

No problem at all. You should see a rectangular indicator to the left when you switch between menu options. What player do you have?

No problem at all. You should see a rectangular indicator to the left when you switch between menu options. What player do you have?

I have a Sony BDP-S300, with the latest firmware (which was what I thought the problem was at first.)

I can move the indicator, but when I try to choose the "Extras" it won't move forward.

I would give this a solid 10 for sound, performance. I really enjoyed it, but I have to say I would give the director or editor about a 5. In their quest to be artistic, with quick cuts and filters, it takes away from the feel of a live performance. People actually feel that this sets a standard?
The best Blu concert I have seen so far is the Return To Forever concert. Simple, crystal clear, extended shots of the show. And what about the Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"?
What they did to Anesthetize is almost criminal. The audio is outstanding, But the visual effects leaves so much to be desired. Like it was edited by an epileptic with severe ADD. And yes, the color filtering sucks. I watched it from beginning to end twice, but I have listened to it at least 5 times with the TV off. I don't need to "see" this again. But I will "listen" to it again and again.
It's like they filmed a great concert, and tried to make a "artistic" concert video from it.

Here's one for you. The other day, I went into my local Best Buy and saw this disc sitting on the shelf. Actually, it was the DVD only version. What was odd is that it had the DVD logo at the bottom on the back of the disc, and right next to it, was the DTS-HD Master Audio Logo. At first, I kept saying to myself that this has got to be the BD/DVD combo. After looking at the photo on the first page of this Thread, I now know that it was, in fact, the DVD version. They must have forgotten to remove the DTS-HD logo along with the BD logo on this one.

Here's one for you. The other day, I went into my local Best Buy and saw this disc sitting on the shelf. Actually, it was the DVD only version. What was odd is that it had the DVD logo at the bottom on the back of the disc, and right next to it, was the DTS-HD Master Audio Logo. At first, I kept saying to myself that this has got to be the BD/DVD combo. After looking at the photo on the first page of this Thread, I now know that it was, in fact, the DVD version. They must have forgotten to remove the DTS-HD logo along with the BD logo on this one.
The DVD sound menu has a "dts HD MA" choice also. I tried it out just to see if it would really decode that way, but it decoded in standard dts.

I prefer the high resolution LPCM 2 channel mix anyway, though.

Truth be told, this disc is amazing. It's easily the best music video disc I have seen (by far). I'll recommend it to anyone every day of the week and twice on Sundays. It absolutely gets a solid 10 because it has turned in to the standard against which all other BR performances are applied.

That said, I also have this release on vinyl (just released), and though the BR is absolutely excellent, it doesn't have the musical texture that the vinyls possess. The drums during the opening of anesthetize in particular shine on the BR, but the vinyl brings it to a different level. I can almost touch the wood of the drum it's so real sounding.

One thing I should note is that my record player and BR player do NOT go through the same receiver. My BR player goes through a Denon solid state receiver, while the record player goes through a vacuum tube powered phono preamp, then is amplified and sent to the speakers with a vacuum tube amp. This difference combined with decent but not great cables on my solid state setup (the cables on my analog system are VERY GOOD) is very likely enough to make that difference noticeable, especially since I'm almost positive that the source (master tapes) are not analog, but digital and may well be the exact same source as the BR.

.......especially since I'm almost positive that the source (master tapes) are not analog, but digital and may well be the exact same source as the BR.

It most definitely is the same sources.
What you are hearing that you like so much here are the non linearities imposed on the audio by the tube stages on the amplifiers.
Passing audio through discrete components changes the sound.
I can give you a lot more detail if interested.....

It most definitely is the same sources.
What you are hearing that you like so much here are the non linearities imposed on the audio by the tube stages on the amplifiers.
Passing audio through discrete components changes the sound.
I can give you a lot more detail if interested.....

I'm actually quite interested, but I wouldn't understand much of it. Even what you already wrote confuses me ;)

BTW: Do you know what SW records in? 96k? 192k?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the PT DVD-A's DVD-A layer is 24/48[which is what SW records at 24/48 except for the new solo abum which will be on Blu ray at 24/96].

Back