Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits - The Next QUADIO Title

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still can't understand why they can't just add DVD-A to these discs. I wonder if it's a space thing - Can you have a 24/96 DTS DVD track and a 24/96 MLP track on the same DVD?

I still can't understand why they can't just add DVD-A to these discs. I wonder if it's a space thing - Can you have a 24/96 DTS DVD track and a 24/96 MLP track on the same DVD?

For the CTA title since it was a double album it might not have fit on a DVD 5 disc - I could be wrong. But for this title, yes it should be able to fit. So there might have been other considerations why they did not have it. Royalties? Disc compatibility with other players and/or confusion? I don't think those are good reasons. Why not advertise the title as they have been doing and not mention the DVD-A part, just put it there.

Added: Perhaps it adds somewhat to the disc authoring costs, although if we all can do DVD-A then that should not be the issue. IMO the DVD-A part is easier to put together than the the DVD-V part. It must be company policy not to deal with it now. But hopefully they'll consider it on future releases.

I do it all the time...

It's all about the licensing and royalties. Each Mix requires a separate (and costly) royalty. I can't understand why anybody would want it in any high resolution. Do you REALLY want to hear more tape hiss?

It's all about the licensing and royalties. Each Mix requires a separate (and costly) royalty. I can't understand why anybody would want it in any high resolution. Do you REALLY want to hear more tape hiss?

It's not about the resolution. It's about the ability to play it in my car, right out of the sleeve, without having to convert it to DVD-A myself (Should I desire to spend the time)

The sound quality of Chicago II and V on DVD-A is noticeably superior to the Rhino DTS release of CTA..no tape hiss I notice on either DVD-A release..

The sound quality of Chicago II and V on DVD-A is noticeably superior to the Rhino DTS release of CTA..no tape hiss I notice on either DVD-A release..

yes but II and V are modern day multitrack 5.1 remixes whereas CTA is the original early quad 1970's mix...that may well mean a generation of tape quality better to start with...and certainly less hiss....

Sorry for getting into technicalities, but I can't help wondering: Why would a generic and lossy compression be the best way to get rid of tape hiss?

It's not about the resolution. It's about the ability to play it in my car, right out of the sleeve, without having to convert it to DVD-A myself (Should I desire to spend the time)

Now I'm confused. CTA was playable in my car "right out of the sleeve". Are you saying Aretha will be different?
If so, I wish you'd mentioned that before I ordered...

Sorry for getting into technicalities, but I can't help wondering: Why would a generic and lossy compression be the best way to get rid of tape hiss?

Because with the extra disc space saved they were able to encode Aretha's DNA sequence. In the future, space aliens will be able to recreate her and have Aretha re-record the tracks on better technology that has no hiss!!

Because with the extra disc space saved they were able to encode Aretha's DNA sequence. In the future, space aliens will be able to recreate her and have Aretha re-record the tracks on better technology that has no hiss!!

Funny :banana: :banana: :banana:

Have you heard her lately? Let's hope that DNA sequence comes with a time machine. ;)

Jon, your car player won't play the DTS layer?

Y'all got it right re: Acura. It will play a DTS CD, but not a DTS DVD. It's kinda strange, not sure why it's that way. It plays DVD-Audio discs, but not a DVD-V disc.

Go figure.

PS - "Mr" Urban!!?? (That's my Dad!) :D

This is a very fine album with some radically different remixes and extended versions that were previously unavailable--and with the multitracks presumably gone forever, all that we're going to get. A very logical choice, and should be a sonic revelation for any Aretha fans who haven't heard it. Great fun, well mixed!

ED :)

Dang Mr. Urban, that is a shame. The Sony deck in my Tiburon plays DTS CD, SACD, DTS-DVD, DD-DVD (any DVD-V), but won't do DVD-A. My home DVD player won't do DVD-A either, but it will play that Elv1s disc that came out a few years ago. I'm assuming that's not a real DVD-A like it's album art suggests.

Dang Mr. Urban, that is a shame. The Sony deck in my Tiburon plays DTS CD, SACD, DTS-DVD, DD-DVD (any DVD-V), but won't do DVD-A. My home DVD player won't do DVD-A either, but it will play that Elv1s disc that came out a few years ago. I'm assuming that's not a real DVD-A like it's album art suggests.
It's a real DVD-A. Plays in my Acura. Your home player is playing the Dolby Digital DVD-V layer, as would any normal, non-DVD-A, DVD player.

The only thing that disappointed me with the Aretha GH album was that
it didn't include "Think" which was my favorite track by her.
But I have the CD-4 , a DVD-A of the reel and now an authentic copy on order!

This is a very fine album with some radically different remixes and extended versions that were previously unavailable--and with the multitracks presumably gone forever, all that we're going to get.

Did something happen to the multitracks after the quad version was mixed?

Back