Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits - The Next QUADIO Title

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think this release is the perfect test for the "supporting crowd" (us!).
While CTA was a quad that had no reel release, few Q8 going, some SQ and all of these very pricey in the ebay listings, AF GH is a lot easier title to find out.
Also, CTA came out very "late in the game" even for the 12-years-old dts-cd sharing scene, while AF GH was one of the first ones to get released and so far it has been transferred to the digital domain at least a dozen times on dts cd or dvda, with two releases (one qr, one cd4) being absolute top-notch, so it's very likely that everyone into here have it already in some form.
Would had been a nicer package to combine it with the only other AF quad, the "Live at fillmore west". After all, the CTA disc was a double, so it was more bang for the bucks.
Will we support this release, despite all that?
I think yes...

Although this title is not in my top ten of releases wanted before I die, I am thrilled about the release. Pre-ordered mine this morning :>)

I understand the need to market effectively, but this was not in my top 10. I still think the never released titles from well known groups is the way to go after this! I already have the CD-4 vinyl, but I will buy this to support the project.

I think yes...

I sure hope! I am definitely buying it. I'm excited to get some Aretha Franklin music. And speaking as someone who doesn't have much of anything in the way of conversions of the old quad stuff, this is all brand new to me. I want it and I want to be able to buy it from a retailer, or in this case an online retailer---Rhino.com.

Bring on more "Quadio!" :banana:

I understand the need to market effectively, but this was not in my top 10. I still think the never released titles from well known groups is the way to go after this! I already have the CD-4 vinyl, but I will buy this to support the project.

Yeah, it would be cool if one of the upcoming releases could be something special like a "never released" title that was created but somehow never made it out. I don't have much of anything true quad and I want it all, so I'll probably buy just about anything Rhino releases in this series; but I like your idea! It'd help keep everyone happy, I'd think.

Think this release is the perfect test for the "supporting crowd" (us!).
While CTA was a quad that had no reel release, few Q8 going, some SQ and all of these very pricey in the ebay listings, AF GH is a lot easier title to find out.
Also, CTA came out very "late in the game" even for the 12-years-old dts-cd sharing scene, while AF GH was one of the first ones to get released and so far it has been transferred to the digital domain at least a dozen times on dts cd or dvda, with two releases (one qr, one cd4) being absolute top-notch, so it's very likely that everyone into here have it already in some form.
Would had been a nicer package to combine it with the only other AF quad, the "Live at fillmore west". After all, the CTA disc was a double, so it was more bang for the bucks.
I think yes...

Really good points, I totally agree. I will be ordering this sometime today.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the alternate take (or) alternate mix of Respect. It is definitely NOT the original hit. But that's why I've always liked Quad! You get your old favorites in a slightly different flavour!

Agree with much of the above, taking the long view. Short of an album of test signals (!) I'll buy every Quadio title issued.

Pre-ordered two copies when the link appeared! My guitar tech buddy played in a soul band and has always been a huge Aretha as well as Tom Dowd fan so I already know he wants one. :)

As Winopener notes, this has had a couple of really top-drawer transfers from members of our community. I certainly have them, and have made packaging and disc art to complement them as well; they're proud parts of my collection. Having an "official" release on commercial-grade materials is a really nice complement to what I already have - plus, the master-generation issue that I mentioned in my first post above.

I think this will be a test for our community for all the reasons WO mentioned, but I hope we rise to the occasion. $30 is really a pretty piddling amount in perspective; you can easily shoot that on an order of sushi and still be hungry. Let's all take the long view on this!

I think this will be a test for our community for all the reasons WO mentioned, but I hope we rise to the occasion.
I don't think this is a test for us (the surround nerds). This is a test for the people out there who so far, for whatever reason, have not bought surround music.

We've all been buying surround for 10 years. The Record Companies have our sales history. They already know us. Trouble is, we simply don't have enough people in our group to support surround music production. The prize is the the average joe with the home theater who until now is content to utilize his system for movies only.

We've already made our footprint. It's not going to change.

I work in the audio business, and it bothers me that people have the "movie only" mindset as far as surround sound is concerned. I generally stress the fact that home theater systems should be equally at home with music as well as movies, and that there are recordings out there that are made for surround listening. I then play some, so they can hear how good it is. The majority of clients are impressed with it, but it's then up to them if they want to pursue buying music that takes advantage of their system's capabilities. Music videos are one thing; recordings such as the "CTA" or Aretha Franklin quad issues usually sound better, but offer no video to go along with the main music. I guess people like the music videos for their added percieved value.

I don't buy things to support projects, so I'll probably pass on it since I have the quad reel.

I work in the audio business, and it bothers me that people have the "movie only" mindset as far as surround sound is concerned.

Not me. I'm the opposite. I bought some dts laserdiscs way back then to try out surround movies. Although the surround sound is fine it seems unrealistic because there's no TV set in back of me, or on the sides, just in front, so I like the sound coming from just the front.

I don't think this is a test for us (the surround nerds). This is a test for the people out there who so far, for whatever reason, have not bought surround music.

We've all been buying surround for 10 years. The Record Companies have our sales history. They already know us. Trouble is, we simply don't have enough people in our group to support surround music production. The prize is the the average joe with the home theater who until now is content to utilize his system for movies only.

We've already made our footprint. It's not going to change.

To take it further, it's a test of who's interested in CD reissues of old quad albums. That would, still, constitute a fraction of the surround community. To assume that all surround enthusiasts are one homogenous group would be a mistake.

The record companies also have not done enough, frankly, to support a continued fanbase. They have the multitracks, yet they often release surround mixes that a good upmixer can top. That's not supporting the buyer base either. I've met plenty of folks over the years who would be very cynical of buying anything new, and for whom the "quadio" releases only merit a shrug. I'm not saying one side is right and the other is wrong, only that we all don't share the same excitement over the same things in the surround community.

I was excited about CTA because I think the production lends itself well to a surround setting, not because I remember the quad, or anything of that sort. While I love the older Aretha Franklin material just as much, I just simply think there's nothing so exciting that Rhino could give me with that material that would justify the expense on my part. Someone else will feel differently, though, and I'd wager that there'd be enough interested parties to make it as worthwhile a release for Rhino than CTA was. I don't think they're going to fall flat on their face because it's not Yes, or whatnot. They'll do just fine here.

I don't buy things to support projects, so I'll probably pass on it since I have the quad reel.

Normally I don't either and I own the CD-4 record. But I want to show much support for a record company willing to go on a limb to get us original Quadraphonic titles from the original master's. Which is what we've all wanted all along and Never get. Now after all these years someone's finally doing it.

As far as being a test, I feel real good about this title even more after listening to it last night. It has a great mix, it's Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits for goodness sake and should do well with both the Quad/Surround community and new fans exposed to these mixes the first time. It will be a hit with Aretha Franklin fans. Also, it should get great press and notice of Quadraphonic. And because of the artist and mix, it will showcase the reason why for surround music in the first place.

It's too bad Mr. Dowd passed away a few years ago. I wonder what he would say if he were asked to do an interview about this album. From what I've heard and read about him, he was quite a character. Think that would be a neat bonus feature to these discs? An audio or video interview with the person who originally compiled and/or mixed the Quad version? It would be fascinating to hear what they'd have to say about it from back then and what they think about these Quad albums being released nearly 40 years later.

Pretty sure all these songs are from an 8 track multi aren't they? Didn't Atlantic have a modified Ampex recorder that pre-dates all other 8 track machines? Some songs are very discrete but certainly have a "live" feel to them.

To take it further, it's a test of who's interested in CD reissues of old quad albums. That would, still, constitute a fraction of the surround community. To assume that all surround enthusiasts are one homogenous group would be a mistake.
You meant "DVD reissues" not "CD reissues" right? Regardless, you are looking at just the surround enthusiasts. I was looking at surround enthusiasts as a group that, from a marketing perspective, has history and therefore predictability versus the people who never buy surround music. The real test is if those people who never buy surround music will buy surround music. From the Industry's viewpoint there are fewer unknowns about our group and therefore less need for testing.

For me the essence of all this is to preserve small but important pieces of modern culture. And sometimes even memories of parts of our lives. I remember the lunch breaks my 17th summer when I rushed back home for a quick snack and then listening to some newly discovered albums like Close To The Edge. So there's a great value in digitalizing these before the master tapes are all gone. Preferably in the best possible format, which in my opinion means surround. Since Rhino has lost their faith in DVD-A and Blu-ray is too costly, we unfortunately have to stick with DTS 96/24 by now. But at least we've helped saving this Aretha Franklin quad for the future. And by buying it we hopefully save another one, e.g. the one Bob Vosgien presumably will be laying his hands on very soon.

Back