Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality SACD"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try not to bore the uninitiated with my musical tastes: But I dare people to try my Demo.
1. Emerson Lake and Palmer 2001 version last 2 minutes of the 3rd Impression: This is how you demo the meaning of surround, This is how you test your hook ups. Can you name a better? (didn't think so)
2. Apollo 13 LIFTOFF this how you test your dual sbwoofers and the integrity of the rest. I rock the house and something usually falls off the wall,
3. But Super Session puts you in the studio withe 3 gods of rock, Toccata fro Brain Salad Surgery and Steely Dan's Gaucho always turns my head

I try not to bore the uninitiated with my musical tastes: But I dare people to try my Demo.
1. Emerson Lake and Palmer 2001 version last 2 minutes of the 3rd Impression: This is how you demo the meaning of surround, This is how you test your hook ups. Can you name a better? (didn't think so)
2. Apollo 13 LIFTOFF this how you test your dual sbwoofers and the integrity of the rest. I rock the house and something usually falls off the wall,
3. But Super Session puts you in the studio withe 3 gods of rock, Toccata fro Brain Salad Surgery and Steely Dan's Gaucho always turns my head

I don't think the first two are on Surround SACD. Super Session and Gaucho are.

E. Power Biggs Plays Bach Toccatas. It was recorded in a cathedral that has four separate organs! That combine with 32' foot pipes makes for quite a sumptuous musical feast!

51vR9ZO9M%2BL._SX300_.jpg

I happen to see it on Ebay and it's lower than the usual asking price HERE

I pretty much exclusively demo 5.1 when I choose SACDs so with that in mind these are my top 5.1 demo tracks (one per album)

1) Billy Joel - The Stranger (Scenes from an Italian Restaurant)
2) Peter Gabriel - Up (I Grieve)
3) Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music (You Saved My Life)
4) NIN - The Downward Spiral (Closer)
5) Depeche Mode - Violator (Policy of Truth)
6) Elton John - Honky Chateau (Rocket Man)
7) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Shine On You Crazy Diamond)
8) The Police - Every Breath You Take (Walking on the Moon)
9) Genesis - Invisible Touch (Tonight Tonight)
10) Sting - Brand New Day (A Thousand Years)

As fine as that Biggs/Bach Four Organ Spectacular is (I remember paying around $20 for it) I still prefer the Tuba Mirum from Berlioz' Requiem, Opus 5, performed by a goodly number of musicians (the composer wanted 800) under the direction of Roger Norrington.

berliozrequiemnorrington.jpg

Last edited:
I want to amend my earlier post. I recently rewired my system so I can more easily reassign and isolate tracks. Will post about that soon. But I have to say my own testing since that time has found my previous opinion of Nick Drake to be incorrect. The elements in the rears are not discrete on any track. I was sad to discover this, but there you have it. I still love the music, and I still share the disc, but as a surround demo it cannot compare to many discrete discs. FYI.

Hey All,

OK, now go easy on me here: one of my go-to discs is Nick Drake - A Treasury. Controversial I know, but several of the tracks are discrete, and I love "Poor Boy" in surround and so do the people I play it to!

Others:
Dredg - El Cielo (1st track)
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding)
Kitaro - Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai (tracks 2,3,4,8 & 10)

Not saying that the others listed in this thread are less than these, but thought I would offer fresh alternatives that I do use often!

Ken

I picked up Kodo just a year ago from Amazon US for $38. An excellent disc that I go back to often. Recommended!

Kodo's "Mondo Head" is a classic Multichannel SACD demo album. Audio makers have been using that disc to show off low-end playback of SACD for years. Very popular.

As fine as that Biggs/Bach Four Organ Spectacular is (I remember paying around $20 for it) I still prefer the Tuba Mirum from Berlioz' Requiem, Opus 5, performed by a goodly number of musicians (the composer wanted 800) under the direction of Roger Norrington.

View attachment 16314

Is this a discrete surround mix?

Back