Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality SACD"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might not have bought Ol' Ernest, but for a gentleman who was also browsing SACD's at the Bloomingdale, IL Tower Records. So, I got it at regular price. And I never got a chance to express my gratitude. :yikes

I say "never give up!" :) easily my most expensive SACD but still I got it for much less than $150 (in absolutely superb condition) only last November! :D

I might not have bought Ol' Ernest, but for a gentleman who was also browsing SACD's at the Bloomingdale, IL Tower Records. So, I got it a regular price. And I never got a chance to express my gratitude. :yikes

I do so love it when, while out and about, a kind gentleman gives one a pointer! :eek:

there's another stonking E.Power quad (sadly never SACD-ised) floating about there on the www-whatsit.. that I just love!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Power-Big...sion-LP-IN-SHRINK-Columbia-Quad-/161032615583

Actually, there are few Quads by Ol' Ernest. I love his Bach organ records, but I loathe his treatment of Scott Joplin on the pedal harpsichord!

Bach Organ Favorites Vol. 5:
$(KGrHqZ,!i!E8YMCBQq2BPQGSdcYJw~~60_35.JPG

Bach Organ Favorites Vol. 6:
mo3XP4G8_Yu8rCoj-him1_A.jpg
$T2eC16NHJH8E9qSEU6HCBQWrUyG!EQ~~60_35.JPG
molJzajVQWv0OKE1AMrKQrw.jpg

View attachment 10658
View attachment 10659
View attachment 10661
View attachment 10660
View attachment 10662

I do so love it when, while out and about, a kind gentleman gives one a pointer! :eek:

there's another stonking E.Power quad (sadly never SACD-ised) floating about there on the www-whatsit.. that I just love!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Power-Big...sion-LP-IN-SHRINK-Columbia-Quad-/161032615583

I will not pay anywhere near triple digits, no matter how much I want something. That's just too much, in my book. I don't have the system to justify it either; I can only imagine what it sounds like on a good system- you did say your sub was rel, right? I bet that really moves some air on that disc.

I say "never give up!" :) easily my most expensive SACD but still I got it for much less than $150 (in absolutely superb condition) only last November! :D

New or used, I can't recall paying more than $40 for a single disc. Of course, I buy nearly everything as a new release. There might be 2 or 3 LP's that I'd pay $100 for, but they're ultra rare. I paid $10-$20 for DVD-A's and got a mountain of Nautilus, MoFi LP's and the Beatle Box for free.

Just like Adam, I have a Rel w/an active and a passive 10" 400W. Coupled w/4 full range Missions & B&K 250W x 5, there is an immense amount of air pushed out when it's called for. Most times my amps are operating in Class A range, 'cause I rarely crank it. When the top is down, I'm more apt to crank my car fi, which is a DVD-A head unit driving 6 Boston's.

I will not pay anywhere near triple digits, no matter how much I want something. That's just too much, in my book. I don't have the system to justify it either; I can only imagine what it sounds like on a good system- you did say your sub was rel, right? I bet that really moves some air on that disc.

The Kodo is the best of the bunch, at least in fidelity.

The Kodo Surround Sound SACD has been a demo favorite among the audiophile equipment makers for years when demoing 5.1 SACD.
Definitely shows off the low end drums on a system. Used to hear it a lot at CES and at shows where Philip O'Hanlon was showing high end SACD gear.

I got it 6 months ago for double digits.! before I got my mitts on it, it was virtually unplayed!

my REL loves it (though I'll upgrade the old gal in time, she only goes down to 20!).. doubt my neighbours love it so much though! :eek:

When I was in the business, I had used it often for a demo. As I said earlier, it may be the best fidelity of any disc I depicted above.

The Kodo Surround Sound SACD has been a demo favorite among the audiophile equipment makers for years when demoing 5.1 SACD.
Definitely shows off the low end drums on a system. Used to hear it a lot at CES and at shows where Philip O'Hanlon was showing high end SACD gear.

This makes me sad... All those great discs and that incredible system and you rarely let those puppies howl?!?!? Why oh why goddess?

New or used, I can't recall paying more than $40 for a single disc. Of course, I buy nearly everything as a new release. There might be 2 or 3 LP's that I'd pay $100 for, but they're ultra rare. I paid $10-$20 for DVD-A's and got a mountain of Nautilus, MoFi LP's and the Beatle Box for free.

Just like Adam, I have a Rel w/an active and a passive 10" 400W. Coupled w/4 full range Missions & B&K 250W x 5, there is an immense amount of air pushed out when it's called for. Most times my amps are operating in Class A range, 'cause I rarely crank it. When the top is down, I'm more apt to crank my car fi, which is a DVD-A head unit driving 6 Boston's.

Because I'm out quite a bit and often watch TV, especially baseball. When I crank it, I let it rip. I'm moving next month. Let's see what the new neighbors think.

Beisbol been berry, berry good to me. - Chico Esquela
escuela.jpg

This makes me sad... All those great discs and that incredible system and you rarely let those puppies howl?!?!? Why oh why goddess?

Hey All,

OK, now go easy on me here: one of my go-to discs is Nick Drake - A Treasury. Controversial I know, but several of the tracks are discrete, and I love "Poor Boy" in surround and so do the people I play it to!

Others:
Dredg - El Cielo (1st track)
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding)
Kitaro - Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai (tracks 2,3,4,8 & 10)

Not saying that the others listed in this thread are less than these, but thought I would offer fresh alternatives that I do use often!

Ken

Hey All,

OK, now go easy on me here: one of my go-to discs is Nick Drake - A Treasury. Controversial I know, but several of the tracks are discrete, and I love "Poor Boy" in surround and so do the people I play it to!

Others:
Dredg - El Cielo (1st track)
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding)
Kitaro - Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai (tracks 2,3,4,8 & 10)

Not saying that the others listed in this thread are less than these, but thought I would offer fresh alternatives that I do use often!

Ken

Fun to mix it up, I agree! :D

The Dredg has some very active surround stuff going on, I just can't work out if I like the music enough to ever play it! My partner loved the Nick Drake SACD when I put it on the other week (fidelity is mostly amazing even if the mix isn't as great!).

..and of course ya'all know what I think of the Elton.. dreadful! Ha! ;) ;)

Actually, baseball watching is one of my favorite times to let my dogs howl. I can do w/o the commentary and the music fills in the gaps between pitches. Of course, there is some distraction to fully enjoying either- attention being divided- but I find it a nice mix. Then there's those times of synchronicity, when your team smacks a 3 run HR just as the music builds to a fever pitch; I'm celebratin and rockin away!

To go really OT, I'm lovin the fact that my Orioles have come alive again after such a long slumber: the best young player around (Manny "the man" Machado) and the hottest slugger in the game right now (Chris "Crush" Davis). If only they can get their pitching straightened out... But it's not so totally OT, since most of my enjoyment of the O's has been accompanied by aural delights.

SW's The Raven That Refused to Sing is getting the most ear-time these days; what a scrumptious dish. Definitely reference in my book, but this thread is sacd's... Have to go with Brothers in Arms- best combination of surround mix, fidelity and musical accessibility. Dark Side is more of a show-off, wow kind of disc, but so wild that the music almost gets lost in the experience, if that makes any sense...

Because I'm out quite a bit and often watch TV, especially baseball. When I crank it, I let it rip. I'm moving next month. Let's see what the new neighbors think.

Beisbol been berry, berry good to me. - Chico Esquela
View attachment 10672

Back