Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality Quad Reel"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
What Quad Reel do you use when you want to dazzle your friends and family? I'll sticky this thread and it can be used as a reference for other members going forward. If you see a title already listed that you use, go ahead and mention it again. This will build up it's reputation.

NOTE: You can list more than one title, but put them in an order of preference. Keep your favorite show piece as #1.

Remember, the main point of the demo here is SURROUND! :banana:

For those who could take it, Tomita's Planets or Firebird. The mixes were quite inventive, including phantom overhead imaging. For those who wouldn't sit still for electronic music, George Martin's production on America's "Holiday" is quite enveloping. The mix sounds very much like what people are used to in stereo (my one complaint with Nilsson Schmilsson) but like going from VHS to BluRay, the surround mixes are much more immersive and revealing.

Hi-I'm a newbie to Q8's just this year and have 10 so far. What I've noticed is that some knock your socks off with the mix (Billy Paul-War of the Gods) , (Poco-Seven) while others sound like duplications of the front 2 channels (Ozark Mountain Daredevils & Seals & Crofts-Diamond Girls. Please anyone list titles you think are great mixes or poor ones. Thanks, upsbucky

The mix on Stardrive - Intergalactic Trot is unbelievable. It was my go to CD-4 demo album until i received it on Q4, which is just an unbelievable treat. Not only does the totally discrete mix shine, but the tape really brings out how tight Steve Gadd and the rhythm section were underneath all of Robert Mason's polyphonic synthi insanity. I'm disappointed that this piece is not a part of the Legacy Polls currently because it is my #1.

For quad reels my favorites are all four Doobie Brothers titles:

Stampede (I Cheat The Hangman)
Toulouse Street (Listen to the Music)
What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits (Black Water and Another Park Another Sunday)
The Captain & Me (South City Midnight Lady)

Of these, the first on the list has been described around these parts as being "very dramatic ear-cinema," and I could not agree more. It is an unfamiliar (to most casual listeners) track that never fails to remove the listener's socks from the inside.

Here is the quote referenced above:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mpede-CD-4-Q8-QR&p=89602&viewfull=1#post89602

Hugo Montenegro "Love Theme From The Godfather" Reel to Reel.
I recently picked up a Q4 copy because of both this recommendation and the ones in the Legacy Polls, and boy were you guys right! This blew my previous demo reel out of the water!! THIS IS HOW YOU DO QUAD RIGHT. This sets the bar and is a must hear for any Quad enthusiast.

I have the ideal disc, a sampler that Honda gave out and it has a Doobie Bros song that gives two samples of the song one is stereo, the other 5.1 dvd audio.
If you really want to show off your stuff, try this one.

I have the ideal disc, a sampler that Honda gave out and it has a Doobie Bros song that gives two samples of the song one is stereo, the other 5.1 dvd audio.
If you really want to show off your stuff, try this one.

Forgive my lack of technical knowledge, but how do you put 5.1 on a Reel to Reel tape?

Sorry maybe I didn't explain myself enough it's a DVD audio disc that came with the Hondas when they were supplying DVD audio capable equipment with the luxury Vehicles they made. it's a sampler and it describes dvd-audio. one of the songs is the Doobie Brothers cut and it's in stereo and 5.1. no tape I'm sorry that you misunderstood my post.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Sorry maybe I didn't explain myself enough it's a DVD audio disc that came with the Hondas when they were supplying DVD audio capable equipment with the luxury Vehicles they made. it's a sampler and it describes dvd-audio. one of the songs is the Doobie Brothers cut and it's in stereo and 5.1. no tape I'm sorry that you misunderstood my post.

I guess I misunderstood what the thread was about.

We all have Duh' moments.... The thread is about demo quality QUAD REELS :ugham:

We all have Duh' moments.... The thread is about demo quality QUAD REELS :ugham:

Maybe he is dubbing 7.1-channel music onto a Fostex 8-track machine? That would be pretty cool actually! :cool:

Attachments

• Fostex_A-8LR.jpg
    Fostex_A-8LR.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 186
.my bad. Big duh

the whole issue is the dam phone! I can't tell often the header of the thread. It's not the setup it's me. I lost any brain matter I had left in 1970. It was this guy who called himself orange sunshine-big hippie. :confused: He took what little was left after the Army was done with me.:smokin

Last edited:
.my bad. Big duh

the whole issue is the dam phone! I can't tell often the header of the thread. It's not the setup it's me. I lost any brain matter I had left in 1970. It was this guy who called himself orange sunshine-big hippie. :confused: He took what little was left after the Army was done with me.:smokin

LOL... at least you have an excuse. Those "Duh" moments just happen to me for no apparent reason.

Back