Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality SQ LP"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
What SQ LP do you use when you want to dazzle your friends and family? I'll sticky this thread and it can be used as a reference for other members going forward. If you see a title already listed that you use, go ahead and mention it again. This will build up it's reputation.

NOTE: You can list more than one title, but put them in an order of preference. Keep your favorite show piece as #1.

Remember, the main point of the demo here is SURROUND! :banana:

I use the original Columbia sampler they sent me free. It has the 3rd Brandenburg Concerto (from switched On Bach), Black Magic Woman (Santana), and many others.

Others include:
Sly and the Family Stone (Columbia)
Beethoven Symphonies 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (Eugen Jochum & London Symphony Orchestra - Angel - I have these on record and CD)
Mozart: Ein Kleine Nachtmusik (James Galway - Supraphon Quadraphonie SQ)
Rachmaninoff: Rapsody on a Theme of Pagamini (Christina Ortiz - Angel SQ)
Scheherazade (London Symphony Orch - Angel SQ)

I also use several of my Vangelis albums, which seem to be in hidden SQ. "Heaven and Hell" is particularly striking.

Last edited:
Black Magic Woman by Santana.

Always used that as the first song played to demonstrate quad to first-time listeners.

Bump!!

Given the imminent arrival of the Surround Master SQ I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on their favourite SQ recordings..

For SQ demonstration I choose:

PINK FLOYD-DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

PINK FLOYD-ATOM HEART MOTHER

CHICAGO-CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY

SANTANA-SANTANA

TEN YEARS AFTER-A SPACE IN TIME

THE FIRESIGN THEATRE-EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG

JEFF BECK-BLOW BY BLOW

WEST BRUCE & LAING-WHY DONTCHA

(AND MOST OF THE REMAINING "SANTANA" OR "CHICAGO" ARE DEMO WORTHY)

If there is plenty of time - Tubular Bells in SQ from "Boxed". One of the sides or both.
If the victim, oh i mean AUDIENCE, is in a hurry i would put on Santana-Abraxas. Track one and two Side A always does the trick.

So i guess if i really must choose ONE it will be Abraxas.

The best SQ LP I've ever heard in terms of both fidelity and decoding has to be Return To Forever's Musicmagic, which is ironically the last popular release from CBS. Obviously it's a moot point now that we have it in master tape quality on the DV SACD, but I can't get over how amazing the 42-year-old LP sounds. Most of the '34xxx' SQ LPs from 1976/77 sound really loud and bright, but not this one. I wish they were all this good!

Some other titles I'd demo with that haven't (yet) been reissued digitally are Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes' Black & Blue (for all kinds of cool ping-pong/panning effects), The Isley Brothers' Go For Your Guns (for the incredible echo effect in "Voyage To Atlantis), Aerosmith's Rocks, Dave Mason's It's Like You Never Left, and Santana's debut album.

Last edited:
some of me fave decoding SQ records...

Andy Williams : Andy,
Azteca : Azteca,
Billy Paul : War Of The Gods,
Blood Sweat & Tears : Mirror Image,
B.T. Express : Energy To Burn,
Chase : Pure Music,
Dave Mason : Dave Mason, It's Like You Never Left,
Earth Wind & Fire : That's The Way Of The World,
Isaac Hayes : Tough Guys,
Isley Brothers : Live It Up,
Janis Ian : Between The Lines,
Johnnie Taylor : Eargasm,
Johnny Mathis : I'm Coming Home,
Loggins & Messina : Native Sons,
Minnie Riperton : Perfect Angel,
O'Jays : Survival,
Poco : Cantamos, Seven,
Quincy Jones : Body Heat,
Redbone : Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes,
REO Speedwagon : This Time We Mean It,
Return To Forever : Musicmagic,
Rick Derringer : All American Boy,
Tower Of Power : Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now,
Weather Report : Tale Spinnin',
Yehudi Menuhin & Stephane Grappelli : Fascinatin' Rhythm

At this time I would pick Pink Floyd - DSOTM , Japan release EMZ-82005 .

Hey , I am looking for someone who has this release (EMZ-82005 ) and is complete. The Discogs submission is missing a picture of the two page lyrics sheet.

I thought I'd bolster my SQ Albums that are Demonstration Quality .........to impress friends !

RICK WAKEMAN - SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII

QUINCY JONES - BODY HEAT

LARRY CORYELL - THE ELEVENTH HOUSE

AEROSMITH - GET YOUR WINGS , TOYS IN THE ATTIC , and ROCKS

PAUL SIMON - RHYMIN' SIMON , STILL CRAZY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS , and ,PAUL SIMON

SANTANA - CARAVANSERAI , LOTUS, and , SANTANA FIRST

MANDINGO - MANDINGO III

ANDRE PREVIN - HOLST THE PLANETS

DEODATO - PRELUDE

REO - THIS TIME WE MEAN IT .

HERBIE HANCOCK - SEXTANT

MANUEL GOTTSCHING - INVENTIONS FOR ELECTRIC GUITAR

DZYAN - TIME MACHINE

DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD

MIKE OLDFIELD - HERGEST RIDGE

BOB DYLAN- DESIRE

🏆

😎

What SQ LP do you use when you want to dazzle your friends and family? I'll sticky this thread and it can be used as a reference for other members going forward. If you see a title already listed that you use, go ahead and mention it again. This will build up it's reputation.

NOTE: You can list more than one title, but put them in an order of preference. Keep your favorite show piece as #1.

Remember, the main point of the demo here is SURROUND! 🍌
Although I no longer have SQ , I sold the kit when new back in the day , and had an SQD 2020 in my system until a few years ago - the demo record was always the Sony one ( the one with pictures of the meters of the SQD 2020 on the front and explanation of how it all worked on the back - the LP had a narration on side one which played various tracks and explained how it all worked , side two was a simple set of sample tracks from various albums .

Back