Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality QS LP"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
What QS LP do you use when you want to dazzle your friends and family? I'll sticky this thread and it can be used as a reference for other members going forward. If you see a title already listed that you use, go ahead and mention it again. This will build up it's reputation.

NOTE: You can list more than one title, but put them in an order of preference. Keep your favorite show piece as #1.

Remember, the main point of the demo here is SURROUND! :banana:

My best album to show off QS was not recorded in QS, but in the original Dynaco Diamond. It was Dynaco's original sampler. It contains a synthesizer version of "Flight of the Bumblebee", The Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's "Messiah", several other classical pieces, and a few pop pieces.

Others include:

The original Ovation sampler for the EV matrix (the only album I have with any sound effects in quad).
Permissive Polyphonics (Enoch Light - Project 3)
Pictures at an exhibition (St Louis Symphony Orch - Turnabout)
Mozart Symphonies 40 and 41 (Mozarteum Orch Salzburg -Turnabout)
It's Automagic (MidiMagic)
Bein' Green (Urbie Green)

The following do great in QS, even though they are not marked as such:

Encounters of Every Kind (Meco - Millennium)
Hot August Night (Neil Diamond - MCA)

Bump!

I'm keen to know what people's favourite QS LP's are....now that I have ordered a box which looks like it does a decent job of decoding QS.... :eek:

People - cmon - let us know!!!

The Ovation Vector 4 LP was the go-to demo disc for my QRX-999 in QS mode back in the day. There's an electronic version of "Shaft" that starts Side 2 that is quite impressive.

There's one on eBay now. I scarfed the picture! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUADRAPHONI...ION-Ovation-OVQS-4000-Gate-Fold-/160953818798

Vector 4.jpg

Perhaps the QS version of Tony Mattola and the Quad Guitars? There's definitely a lot of good moments where a guitar is panned to each speaker.

J. D.

Thanks everyone... Shipping from the US to here is - lets just say - not cheap!!! This could get expensive..

My go to QS discs:

LARRY FAST-SYNERGY (LP OR CD)

JOE WALSH-THE SMOKER YOU DRINK THE PLAYER YOU GET

HARVEY MANDEL-GET OFF IN CHICAGO

KOSS PERSPECTIVES

HIFI NEWS AND RECORD REVIEW-QUADRAPHILE

First, the following two.

SPACEDOUT-Enoch Light
無題-okokok.jpg

MORNING GLORY-The Third
Morning Gloryok.jpg

Especially in MORNING GLORY (unlike other sound sources), the instrument is localized between speakers in all directions. (I played an active part as a demonstration sound source of surround at a high school school festival 50 years ago)

My best album to show off QS was not recorded in QS, but in the original Dynaco Diamond. It was Dynaco's original sampler. It contains a synthesizer version of "Flight of the Bumblebee", The Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's "Messiah", several other classical pieces, and a few pop pieces.

Others include:

The original Ovation sampler for the EV matrix (the only album I have with any sound effects in quad).
Permissive Polyphonics (Enoch Light - Project 3)
Pictures at an exhibition (St Louis Symphony Orch - Turnabout)
Mozart Symphonies 40 and 41 (Mozarteum Orch Salzburg -Turnabout)
It's Automagic (MidiMagic)
Bein' Green (Urbie Green)

The following do great in QS, even though they are not marked as such:

Encounters of Every Kind (Meco - Millennium)
Hot August Night (Neil Diamond - MCA)
I've heard that Meco's albums were all QS-encoded, although they weren't marked as such. They certainly sound great that way, though,

I thought I'd add a few more QS to Impress. .....your friends.

MIKE OLDFIELD -OMMADAWN

ENOCH LIGHT - PERMISSIVE POLYPHONICS , and CHARGE !

KEITH JARRETT- TREASURE ISLAND , and , BACKHAND

MEL BROWN - BIG FOOT COUNTRY GIRL

WILLIAM WHISKERS - TANGO NEW SOUND

PYE QUAD SAMPLER

STEELY DAN - CAN'T BUY A THRILL , and , COUNTDOWN TO ECSTACY

LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA/THE WHO , AND GUESTS - TOMMY

SUZANNE CIANI - QUADRAPHONIC

🔥

:cool:

B.B. King : Friends,
Four Tops : Keeper Of The Castle,
Four Tops : Main Street People,
Joan Baez : Come From The Shadows,
Rufus ft Chaka Khan : Rags To Rufus,
Rufus ft Chaka Khan : Rufusized.

This is another Deja Vu thread. My favourite QS album is Carole King "Music". It sounds good in stereo with QS playback and was one of the best sounding records played through my old Audionics SQ (106A) decoder. The inner sleeve even had a diagram showing the original encode positions. Quote from that sleeve "The overall effect is surround sound. This is further enhanced when fed through your Sansui Monitor Decoder."

Back