Official QQ "What's Your Go-To Surround Demo Quality Stereo Recording In Synth Quad"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlarJotunn

What stereo audio LP/CD/Tape do you use when you want to dazzle your friends and family with Synth Quad? I'll sticky this thread and it can be used as a reference for other members going forward. If you see a title already listed that you use, go ahead and mention it again. This will build up it's reputation.

NOTE: You can list more than one title, but put them in an order of preference. Keep your favorite show piece as #1.

Remember, the main point of the demo here is SURROUND! :banana:

DPL2:
Jarre - Oxygene (original version)
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of... (MFSL cd)

Working well also in CSI/2:
Fred Wesley - Damn right i am somebody (Jap CD)

Caribbean Air Control - Chrome - Infinity 12" single

Oh, My! Where to begin?
All of these played in SQ or EV

Magical Mystery Tour - Beatles - Capitol
Let It Be - The Beatles - Apple
Abbey Road - The Beatles - Apple
Candles In the Rain - Melanie - Buddah (good concert hall effect)
Steppenwolf Live - Dunhill

this is kind of lame - but when i go to show someone that my sansui qrx 9001 is NOT just playing stereo x 2 i play a couple of things - i use qs synth mode and i play queens We Will Rock You - because when Brian May jumps in there towards the end for the first time - he is on a channel all by himself - and he burns that channel up - meanwhile the other 3 channels move intermittently - mr may is hogging rear left ( i think).

the same goes for the cults - peace dog - mr guitar man is all over front right - while all other channels are doing their thing.

but when i want to show all four channels going independent - time to put on something hectic - the chemical brothers - piku - is a great one - those channels dont even act like theyre playing the same thing in some parts of that mind-threatening tune. same thing with - thrill-kill cult - some of that is all over the place - not something i listen to always - but makes for a great demo.

yowza - im going to play that now.

w.a.reid

Last edited:
The bit I always play when I want to turn someone onto merits of Old School QS Synth Quad, is where the guitar kicks in on "Go Ahead John" on Miles Davis "Big Fun" CD...(about 6 minutes and 30 seconds into the track)...not exactly an audiophile track, but with the volume turned up on decent speakers, the guitar bouncing around the speakers sounds awesome..:yikes.

The QS Synth absolutely supercharges this section of the track compared to straight stereo...:)

The bit I always play when I want to turn someone onto merits of Old School QS Synth Quad, is where the guitar kicks in on "Go Ahead John" on Miles Davis "Big Fun" CD...(about 6 minutes and 30 seconds into the track)...not exactly an audiophile track, but with the volume turned up on decent speakers, the guitar bouncing around the speakers sounds awesome..:yikes.

The QS Synth absolutely supercharges this section of the track compared to straight stereo...:)
When i want to show the difference between the decoders
SQ /QS /Dolby 11/ circle surround /UHJ
I play Eurythmics CD/ Track Like a Ball and Chain
about 2 min. into the track it goes into a phasing
and the chorus it goes around the room in a full 360
The only other decoder that can do near to it is
The CBS 4000 in Syn.mode
The QSD1 seems to be the only one that can
move the rear channels from side to side

ron

Last edited:
Back