Seven Inches of Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

While working on a project of adapting the Anderson Discography into a database for ease of sorting & arranging at will, my research into the quad singles & EP's brought up an interesting point. The 7" EPs on Command (Joe Walsh, Steely Dan, etc) were manufactured by a company called Little Long Players ('LLP'), using masters created by Command/ABC. As a result, each release had two company names AND two catalog ID's. The cover sleeve lists the LLP catalog ID (starting with QD-) while the record label lists only Command and a catalog ID starting with PRO-, with no notation of the LLP number. (Example: the Joe Walsh EP has a Command label with the number PRO-40016. while the outer sleeve just says LLP QD-256.) This makes tracking down information a bit frustrating because people will note one ID or another but rarely both.

I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry if this is all old news. I'm going to post a complete list of the 7-inchers soon. I know there have been other forum postings of EP's, but I'm trying to make it as complete and detailed as possible (ID numbers and country of origin for every entry). Just thought I'd throw this out in the meantime.

That's pretty cool. I compiled a list a couple years ago into an Excel Spreadsheet of all the known Popular Q8's (I didn't include classical titles, but I may eventually do that) I had to add in a number of Q8's that weren't in the Anderson Discography.

Sounds cool. Maybe those of us who have these disc can provide the info and/or scans

Let me know if you run across anything new. I have not listed all that I know about and agree how confusing it can get on which catalog numbers to use. What I have listed I used the QD prefix numbers.

Let me start with these, and you'll see where I'm going with it. Here are some quad EP's for which I'm missing bits of information. You can see what's missing by the presence of question marks. Any fill-in-the-blanks that you can provide, please do. After I get the EP's out of the way, I'll make a similar post regarding singles.

Two points: this is NOT a list of all quad EP's by a long shot; these are just ones that are missing needed data. Also, as I stated in an earlier post, the EP's on ABC (Command, Project 3, etc) have different catalog ID's on the record label and the sleeve. The label ID's start with "PRO", while the ID's on the sleeve start with "QD". I'm trying to keep track of both. Thanks for any info you can provide.

ARTIST: Ray Price
TITLE: For the Good Times
LABEL: Columbia
CATALOGUE ID: 7Q 30106
FORMAT: SQ
SONGS: ????

ARTIST: Charlie Rich
TITLE: Very Special Love Songs
LABEL: Epic
CATALOGUE ID: ????

ARTIST: Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
TITLE: Black & Blue
LABEL: Philadelphia International
CATALOGUE ID: 78Q 32407

ARTIST: The O'Jays
TITLE: Ship Ahoy
CATALOGUE ID: 78Q 32408

ARTIST: Sammy Kaye
TITLE: Swing and Sway (If You've Got the Time)
LABEL: Project 3
CATALOGUE ID: PR-5065 [label] / ???? [sleeve]
FORMAT: QS

ARTIST: The Ray Charles Singers
TITLE: A Special Something
LABEL: ???? [probably either Command or Project 3]
CATALOGUE ID: ???? [label] / ???? [sleeve]
SONGS: Sand Pebbles Theme; California Dreamin; Cabaret; Music to Watch Girls By; Alfie; Love Me With All Your Heart

I should be able to fill in the holes when I get back from traveling.
I will post the info as soon as I can get home and can get the time to dig.

Below is what info I have.

ARTIST: Ray Price
TITLE: For the Good Times
LABEL: Columbia
CATALOGUE ID: 7Q 30106
SONGS: Gonna Burn Some Bridges, Lonely World, Heartaches By The Number, Crazy Arms, Help Me Make It Through The Night, You Cant Take It With You

ARTIST: Charlie Rich
TITLE: Very Special Love Songs
LABEL: Epic
CATALOGUE ID: 5Q 32531
SONGS: Why Don't We Go Somewhere and Love, Take Time To Love, There Won't Be Anymore, Satisfied Man, Almost Persuaded, Why Oh Why

ARTIST: Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
TITLE: Black & Blue
CATALOGUE ID: Z8Q 32407
SONGS: Concentrate On Me, Satisfaction Guaranteed (Or Take Your Love Back), Cabarey, It All Depends On You

ARTIST: The O'Jays
TITLE: Ship Ahoy
CATALOGUE ID: Z8Q 32408
SONGS: Put Your Hands Together, This Air I Breathe, + ????

ARTIST: Sammy Kaye
TITLE: Swing and Sway (If You've Got the Time)
LABEL: Project 3
CATALOGUE ID: PR-5065 [label] / LLP QD-263 [sleeve]

ARTIST: The Ray Charles Singers
TITLE: A Special Something
LABEL: ABC
CATALOGUE ID: PRO-40005 [label] / LLP QD 261 [sleeve]
SONGS: Sand Pebbles Theme; California Dreamin; Cabaret; Music to Watch Girls By; Alfie; Love Me With All Your Heart

Back